The Engineer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
It occurred to me that I have had the pleasure to experience one of the jewels of Limpopo province, Kwalata Wilderness; three times and have not shared this with the African Hunting readers. Kwalata is made up of rocky hills (mountains) with flats and river bottoms between the high hills. The scenery is spectacular and the number, age, and variety of game on Kwalata is amazing.

Sherry and I just returned from our third trip to Kwalata and highly recommend the experience. The difference in scenery and lack of thorn bush from the flat areas of Limpopo I hunted are particularly appealing to me. I have taken 15 species at Kwalata ranging in size from a Vervet Monkey at the small end to Cape Buffalo and Giraffe at the at the large end and they have all been great trophies. To us the quality of the hunting experience, PHs, trackers, skinners, camp staff, and food could not be better. At Kwalata you are treated as one of the family and integrated into the activities which both Sherry and I enjoyed.

Sherry particularly enjoyed the very spacious and elegant accommodations that have elevated porches overlooking a lake and feeding area where animals were commonly seen. The indoor fire pit in the lodge is mesmerizing and has been a respite for Sherry and I from the cold mornings and evenings on our early season hunts and is always relaxing in the evenings. She also enjoyed the off property side trips and animal viewing on the property. On one outings she even encounter three elephants on the property. Even though she does not hunt, I believe she has enjoyed each visit as much as I have.

I should also mention, that while very hilly, Kwalata has quite successfully accommodated my overweight 70+ year old body. Not to say it has not been a bit physically challenging at times but the excellent PHs and well thought out stalks make it doable and have created many fond memories. The highlight of this year's hunt was taking a gold medal Klipspringer at the top of one of the mountains after spotting it at over 300 yards from the base of the mountain. We circled the mountain on foot, came up the back side, I was on the sticks twice without getting a shot, and then took the Klipspringer at about 50 yards without him knowing we were there. I cannot give enough praise to the PH for that memorable stalk.

If the health holds out we look forward to even more memorable experiences at Kwalata.

DSC00668.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you had a great hunt. Jaco must not have been your PH.:ROFLMAO:

Going back three times obviously means they do a great job and take good care of you.

If you can share some photos it would be great.

Thanks for the report.(y)

Glad to hear!

I'm with Wheels. They must be doing something right. :)

Would love to see that klippie!

Glad you found a good Outfitter that has looked after you well.

Drag and drop some photos into your report when you get a chance.

Congrats on three trips....

It has been my pleasure to hunt with Jaco three times and all were great hunts. I do not hunt for inches and told Jaco I wanted old mature animals. This led to a 57.5" Kudu on our first hunt and the buffalo with the HUGE bosses below was my first dangerous game animal taken with Jaco at Kwalata last year. This time Jaco had a prior commitment for my dates and I hunted with Ryno and we had a great hunt. And you are absolutely correct that Kwalata does a great job and takes care of you.

Attached are some pictures of a few animals from the last two hunts. Ryno suggested a unique mount for the two Bushpigs I took and I will post the results as the plans are formalized.

DSC00442.JPG
DSC00482.JPG
DSC00506.JPG
DSC00654.JPG
DSC00668.JPG
DSC00709.JPG

Wow, three times in the one place. Break out man, explore the world.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. They must be doing something right at Kawalata. I am interested to see this double bush pig mount. Should be unique. Thanks again, it gives us all confidence when we are here seeking info on the operations and when you have been multiple times....well something must be good.

R.

To a certain degree I understand what you are saying. However, on our first trip to Kwalata on the third day I tore a retina and had to come home after laser surgery. The primary goal on that trip was a cape buffalo which did not happen but I cannot thank the staff at Kwalata sufficiently for how well this age and myopia related medical problem was handled. Due to Kwalata's quick response I had no after effects. The second trip to Kwalata was to complete the quest for the cape buffalo. The reason for going back to the Kwalata Wildernes this year was winning a 10 day donated hunt with trophy fees paid for the Giraffe, Klipspringer, and Bushpig {None of which I had taken.} for the opening bid of less than $2000 at last year's DSC convention. I do not understand why no one had done there homework on Kwalata and bid on this hunt but there were several hunts with other reputable outfitters for which no bid were received. Winning this hunt delayed the planning of a hunt for buffalo/elephant near Kruger or in Mozambique which would be booked through Kwalata. Now hope to do that hunt in 2017.

The above being said, I would encourage anyone who is thinking of a big game hunt to go to the DSC and SCI web sites and see what hunts are to be auctioned off.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

To a certain degree I understand what you are saying. However, on our first trip to Kwalata on the third day I tore a retina and had to come home after laser surgery. The primary goal on that trip was a cape buffalo which did not happen but I cannot thank the staff at Kwalata sufficiently for how well this age and myopia related medical problem was handled. Due to Kwalata's quick response I had no after effects. The second trip to Kwalata was to complete the quest for the cape buffalo. The reason for going back to the Kwalata Wildernes this year was winning a 10 day donated hunt with trophy fees paid for the Giraffe, Klipspringer, and Bushpig {None of which I had taken.} for the opening bid of less than $2000 at last year's DSC convention. I do not understand why no one had done there homework on Kwalata and bid on this hunt but there were several hunts with other reputable outfitters for which no bid were received. Winning this hunt delayed the planning of a hunt for buffalo/elephant near Kruger or in Mozambique which would be booked through Kwalata. Now hope to do that hunt in 2017.

The above being said, I would encourage anyone who is thinking of a big game hunt to go to the DSC and SCI web sites and see what hunts are to be auctioned off.
You have nothing to be embarrassed about or to explain. There are plenty of good reasons to return to the same place, and it can make hunting trophies you have seen in the past very enjoyable. And while there's always a certain thrill of the unknown, the reassurance of knowing where you are going and what will greet you there is also valuable.

At some point you will expand your horizons because you will have all or most of the species available in one place, but even then, you may like to do what I've done before - use the same people to book you into new places and even bring your own PH with you. Sometimes, with a bit of luck, you become friends with your PH. And there's nothing like hunting with friends.

Have fun hunting the new areas for your Elephant.

Congrats for a great hunt Engineer, and some very nice trophies !

Congrats for your good hunting......and what a great boss on you Buff....!!!!!

Well done....!!!!

Well done @The Engineer! That buff has great bosses!! No doubt in my mind having known Jaco and Reinhard for a few years now that they take good care of their clients. And good on you for giving them additional business above the auction hunt that you won.

Look like you had a great time....

When others want you to go to a different place...see if they are will to pay for your testing the location out...

I suggest that you go where you want and have a great time... just share the story and pictures...

If you like what an outfitter offers, I see absolutely no problem with going back to a quality outfitter. There is trust and friendship there, that has a value that can't be measured.

As requested please find attached a picture of the Kudu I took on my first African hunt at Limcroma with Jaco in 2010. While I have followed Jaco to Kwalata and consider him and all the others as Kwalata friends, I would also recommend Limcroma. The experience at Limcroma is just a little different as Limcroma is in the flat country as opposed to the mountains at Kwalata which I have fallen in love with.

114.JPG

Limcroma is in the flat country as opposed to the mountains at Kwalata which I have fallen in love with.

Engineer, Do you remember the concession you hunted? I would have assumed that you took that big kudu up in the koppies outside Thabazimbi..? Limcroma has a couple of concessions there totaling about 50K acres where they kill most of their big rifle kudu... That is about as steep and rugged as it gets right there...

Beautiful kudu... Incredible spread..! Jaco is a fine PH. Tell him I said hello.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg