SOUTH AFRICA: The Curse Is Lifted: 2018 Group Hunt

Congrats and thanks for a great report.

This is a very good question. You see I purchased a double rifle, Merkel 470 NE, but had no intention of scoping it. So knowing that I might well be faced with a long shot on the hippo as well as other game my fall back was the Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. This rifle has a Luepold Scope with the custom dial. Having taken this rifle to the range several times I found that I could cut the bulls eye at 100 yards with ease because it loves the Federal Premium Bear Claws. Don’t ask me why it just shoots spot on with that ammo and scope combination. So accuracy on a hippo hunt to me was most important given that I missed twice last year. Also the 375 is a fine round for plains game where as that 416 can rip some game apart.
Don’t get me wrong I still love the 416 Guide Gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in Africa or any place else. I guess I am blessed to have options on guns to select from.

Thanks for your reply. I guess we are all blessed in the good old USA! We can have all the guns and calibers we want!

Charlie congratz on lifting the curse! Great report and like you it is a great relief when you see something gray come floating to the surface.

Congratulations my friend on the successful adventure!!! Hope you’re recovered fully!!!

Charlie congratz on lifting the curse! Great report and like you it is a great relief when you see something gray come floating to the surface.

You got that exactly right!

Congratulations my friend on the successful adventure!!! Hope you’re recovered fully!!!

Thank you for everything including the attempt to help on the plane. Let me know about the possible get together!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the success, and fantastic you could do it with friends in camp!

Congrats on the success, and fantastic you could do it with friends in camp!

Yep it was indeed nice to have people in camp that were my friends.

This was a fun recap to read. Congratulations on breaking the curse!

nice job Charlie you have some beauties to add to yor collection congradulations

nice job Charlie you have some beauties to add to yor collection congradulations
Congratulations Charlie! Hippo is on my list. I hope you're feeling better!

Mike

Really enjoyed the read Charlie .
Glad you had a great hunt and are over your health issue .
Cheers Dory .

Well done Charlie. Success is so much sweeter after some unsuccessful attempts. Great hippo.

Great posting and interesting.
Congratulations.

Thank you for everything including the attempt to help on the plane. Let me know about the possible get together!
Definitely will- I think it would be a great time for all of us here on AH (and others who aren't) to have a nice gathering (with slideshows?) to discuss past and future trips. I think folks within a 2-3 hour drive of Joplin could meet at my house. Or I wouldn't be averse to someone willing to host in the KC area if they wanted (I'd make the trip!).

Definitely will- I think it would be a great time for all of us here on AH (and others who aren't) to have a nice gathering (with slideshows?) to discuss past and future trips. I think folks within a 2-3 hour drive of Joplin could meet at my house. Or I wouldn't be averse to someone willing to host in the KC area if they wanted (I'd make the trip!).

I hosted an event two years ago come Jan. Had about eight people show up. Went over very nicely! I am happy to come down to Joplin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Charlie apart from the journey home it looks like you had an awesome time with Pawprint as you always do. How did you have the lips done??

Nice one Charlie apart from the journey home it looks like you had an awesome time with Pawprint as you always do. How did you have the lips done??

Actually we didn’t have lips or any other part of the hippo as my assigned PH managed to forget the filets upon our departure from the lodge we stayed in in Natal.

There was plenty of meat to go around
9A5FD6B9-F708-4D54-8482-57C69D169212.jpeg

What a great story Charlie. You now have your Hippo and last years experience can now get filed under fond memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg