AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Congrats and thanks for a great report.

Rock375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada, Alaska, RSA, Namibia
This is a very good question. You see I purchased a double rifle, Merkel 470 NE, but had no intention of scoping it. So knowing that I might well be faced with a long shot on the hippo as well as other game my fall back was the Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. This rifle has a Luepold Scope with the custom dial. Having taken this rifle to the range several times I found that I could cut the bulls eye at 100 yards with ease because it loves the Federal Premium Bear Claws. Don’t ask me why it just shoots spot on with that ammo and scope combination. So accuracy on a hippo hunt to me was most important given that I missed twice last year. Also the 375 is a fine round for plains game where as that 416 can rip some game apart.
Don’t get me wrong I still love the 416 Guide Gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in Africa or any place else. I guess I am blessed to have options on guns to select from.

Thanks for your reply. I guess we are all blessed in the good old USA! We can have all the guns and calibers we want!

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Charlie congratz on lifting the curse! Great report and like you it is a great relief when you see something gray come floating to the surface.

whitetail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
Congratulations my friend on the successful adventure!!! Hope you’re recovered fully!!!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Charlie congratz on lifting the curse! Great report and like you it is a great relief when you see something gray come floating to the surface.

You got that exactly right!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Congratulations my friend on the successful adventure!!! Hope you’re recovered fully!!!

Thank you for everything including the attempt to help on the plane. Let me know about the possible get together!

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Congrats on the success, and fantastic you could do it with friends in camp!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Congrats on the success, and fantastic you could do it with friends in camp!

Yep it was indeed nice to have people in camp that were my friends.

WMU05

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life
This was a fun recap to read. Congratulations on breaking the curse!

crudeoildude

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
nra bow hunters of wyo
nice job Charlie you have some beauties to add to yor collection congradulations

huntermn15

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, AK SCI
Hunted
U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
nice job Charlie you have some beauties to add to yor collection congradulations
Congratulations Charlie! Hippo is on my list. I hope you're feeling better!

Mike

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
Really enjoyed the read Charlie .
Glad you had a great hunt and are over your health issue .
Cheers Dory .

kudukid

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well done Charlie. Success is so much sweeter after some unsuccessful attempts. Great hippo.

whitetail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
Thank you for everything including the attempt to help on the plane. Let me know about the possible get together!
Definitely will- I think it would be a great time for all of us here on AH (and others who aren't) to have a nice gathering (with slideshows?) to discuss past and future trips. I think folks within a 2-3 hour drive of Joplin could meet at my house. Or I wouldn't be averse to someone willing to host in the KC area if they wanted (I'd make the trip!).

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Definitely will- I think it would be a great time for all of us here on AH (and others who aren't) to have a nice gathering (with slideshows?) to discuss past and future trips. I think folks within a 2-3 hour drive of Joplin could meet at my house. Or I wouldn't be averse to someone willing to host in the KC area if they wanted (I'd make the trip!).

I hosted an event two years ago come Jan. Had about eight people show up. Went over very nicely! I am happy to come down to Joplin.

Last edited by a moderator:

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Nice one Charlie apart from the journey home it looks like you had an awesome time with Pawprint as you always do. How did you have the lips done??

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Nice one Charlie apart from the journey home it looks like you had an awesome time with Pawprint as you always do. How did you have the lips done??

Actually we didn’t have lips or any other part of the hippo as my assigned PH managed to forget the filets upon our departure from the lodge we stayed in in Natal.

There was plenty of meat to go around
9A5FD6B9-F708-4D54-8482-57C69D169212.jpeg

Neale

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, South Africa ( Eastern Cape, Free State, Limpopo,KwaZulu Natal )
What a great story Charlie. You now have your Hippo and last years experience can now get filed under fond memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LemiawaNt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
raamw wrote on krish's profile.
send me your email.