AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Charlie, I´m really happy for you, I know how much you wanted that sea-horse, so congrats :D Cheers:

Are you going to make a coffee table with the skull ?

I was supposed to go after my own hippo this year, but family health issues are preventing it, so it is planned for next year.

No the skull is not big enough in my opinion to make the table!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Springbucks are really delicate looking to be so tough, but I guess almost everything is tough in Africa. Nice picture of you and Art II with your two beauties!

Rock375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada, Alaska, RSA, Namibia
Loved the hunt report Charlie thanks!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I should get a good quantity of leather out of the full skin of the hippo.

CF98A1F1-CEEB-4800-8B26-CEBD2D6A18CB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I should get a good quantity of leather out of the full skin of the hippo.View attachment 241913
You should indeed.

I had a (rectangular) trunk made from the skin of a hippo I shot in Zimbabwe. It turned out very well - the top was done with an inlay of a map of Africa in giraffe. I now store much of my hunting clothing in it.

I also had some belts (and a sjambok!) made from leftovers. It would also make great gunbags.

Hippo hide is very distinctive and has a beautiful texture.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
A580843E-8085-41B4-A1BB-D08110216F4E.jpeg

And finally the group that arrived in Africa together departed Pawprint Safaris. Little did I know what I was about to experience over the next several hours.

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Congratulations Charlie! Trophy Bonded worked beautifully!

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Congratulations on your successful hunt. Very interesting report.

Rock375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada, Alaska, RSA, Namibia
Hi Charlie, I’m just curious because I’m a Gun nut as well as hunter. My favorite rifle and caliber is my Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H. I also have a Remington Safari 416. 700 action so it’s a push feed. My question is, why you chose the 375 over your beloved Ruger 416 to take your Hippo? When I finally go get my Buff, I’ll use the Kimber! Congrats again on your success!

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
What a fantastic trip, thanks for taking us along. I truly enjoyed the trip the report. Well done sir!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I got to read this well written report all in one sitting. Writing like that can take you right along for the hunt. Very pleased for your sucess and hope you are well recovered now from your medical issues.

Edge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
Enjoyed your adventure and congratulations on the hippo and springbok!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Hi Charlie, I’m just curious because I’m a Gun nut as well as hunter. My favorite rifle and caliber is my Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H. I also have a Remington Safari 416. 700 action so it’s a push feed. My question is, why you chose the 375 over your beloved Ruger 416 to take your Hippo? When I finally go get my Buff, I’ll use the Kimber! Congrats again on your success!

This is a very good question. You see I purchased a double rifle, Merkel 470 NE, but had no intention of scoping it. So knowing that I might well be faced with a long shot on the hippo as well as other game my fall back was the Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. This rifle has a Luepold Scope with the custom dial. Having taken this rifle to the range several times I found that I could cut the bulls eye at 100 yards with ease because it loves the Federal Premium Bear Claws. Don’t ask me why it just shoots spot on with that ammo and scope combination. So accuracy on a hippo hunt to me was most important given that I missed twice last year. Also the 375 is a fine round for plains game where as that 416 can rip some game apart.
Don’t get me wrong I still love the 416 Guide Gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in Africa or any place else. I guess I am blessed to have options on guns to select from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ay2626

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there
KKovar wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Wow, great response regarding the title of a thread and an amazing site.
Jerycmeach wrote on Bullet Safaris's profile.
I am interested in hearing about your wild lion hunts.