SOUTH AFRICA: Sunset To Sunrise Hunt With Pawprint Safaris! Oh & A Buffalo For Exercise

@Ridgewalker any chance of a close up of the 5 horned duiker. Lovely looking trophy though.

@Ridgewalker any chance of a close up of the 5 horned duiker. Lovely looking trophy though.

I've always used ' for feet and " for inches as well as ' for minutes and " for seconds. That's the way I was taught as an engineer. Never thought about it being interpreted differently. Anyway I meant the horns measured 5 inches long each:)! I am very happy with my success!

If it had 5 horns I would have shot it without an invite!

Congrats on the nice buff! And a bushpig to boot!!

You had a great hunt sir! Congrats on all your trophies!

I've always used ' for feet and " for inches as well as ' for minutes and " for seconds. That's the way I was taught as an engineer. Never thought about it being interpreted differently. Anyway I meant the horns measured 5 inches long each:)! I am very happy with my success!

If it had 5 horns I would have shot it without an invite!

Sorry but I'm off my face on drugs at the moment due to a bad back

Sorry but I'm off my face on drugs at the moment due to a bad back

Ouch! I hate it when I get back problems NS! Take care!

Trying another approach tonight. They built a hide 50 yards or so from where it appears the serval went to water. Then wiped out all his tracks on the trail. We saw him last night a little after moonrise very near where he watered. We will head out tonight about an hour before moonrise which is 9:15. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Those little cats can be tough. It is great when we get them on camera but they hide well when a hunter is looking for them. Hope you have a great rest of a trip. Maybe we will talk about going back over when I go next year.

Mr Serval was a no show at the water hole. Now Rian tells us that on his trail cams the serval never hits the same water hole two nights in a row.

Again I think the best way to hunt these little critters is just by coincident while coming or going after other game before or after dark. Just have some ammo ready to take them that won't destroy them.

Off to the judges to maybe find something I can afford to add to my bag we found a group of baboons. They were leaving in a hurry maybe 250 yards away. Johan set up the sticks and I royally blew it. We did find blood spoor and followed it up to the next high fence, but it was gone. And so the final day went.

We found an Impala freshly killed by jackal. That evening we set up near it and used the FoxPro electronic call with the jackal program. Sure enough within a few minutes a jackal showed up very nervously looking around. Red dot centered…BAM! Missed! How can this be? Easy shot! Grrrr! Frustration set in. I've hunted coyotes so long, called in and taken so many, this shouldn't happen! Unfortunately it did and does happen.

Oh well, next year I'm going to get some of these little critters of the night! But I'm going to mix it in while hunting something big enough that I can hit it say like an eland or giraffe or hippo or maybe another magnificent Cape buffalo!:D

Thanks for sharing the journey with us! Best of luck planning the next adventure

A few pictures.
IMG_1616.JPG
The Barnes performed exactly as it should.
IMG_1884.JPG

Fine tusks from the bushpig measuring 6" & 6 1/8".
IMG_1896.JPG

Yes there are cats here!
FullSizeRender.jpg

More proof there are little cats!
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1723.JPG

Waiting at the airport for Delta 201. Hoping we can land and take off in Atlanta!
Thanks to everyone for following my little tale. As all the previous hunters know about PawPrint Safaris, they work very hard to get you what you are looking for (even if it is an extremely difficult request).. Feeding you very well. And just in general are fun to be with. Treating you honestly.

Until next year Pieter, Johan, Claudius, Max, Joe and anyone else I missed at PawPrints have a GREAT season!

Congratulations sir! Looks like an awesome time!

RW, safe travels home. Awesome story.
When you get home give me a call, and we will have a beer.

Too bad you didn't get everything on your list. Stuff happens. Like your attitude about it. You still have some fine trophies and great memories. Congrats Bruce

RW, safe travels home. Awesome story.
When you get home give me a call, and we will have a beer.

Will definitely give you a call Ironhorse. Thanks!

@Ridgewalker the moment you land that itch to go back will start again. Glad to hear you had a good time. Like I keep saying we need to do a AH hunt with @Pawprint Safaris

What a great hunt. Thinks for the pics and the great write up so we could live a little of it until our next trip. Sorry you didn't get the chance at the cats, but the good attitude certainly paid off with the buff, bushbuck, and pig. Good travels coming on in.

@Ridgewalker you took some very nice animals and it looks like you had a great hunt! Congrats! Thanks for sharing the experience, I really enjoyed following along. I was so rooting fo you on that Serval!!! I have heard many stories about people trying as many as 13 times for those little spotted ninjas. I count myself luckier than most to have had success on the second try. I wish you loads of luck on the next go-round (y)
Safe travels amigo. Hope your flight into ATL is uneventful.

July 20th or so of 2018 taking names now to see if some guys want to share camp then.
Let me get home, see how the family is doing, check my finances, and I'll make a plan for July 20, 2018. Sounds great!

Look out little kitties. You're still in my sights! Not sure if Johan wants any more of the 3-4 hours of sleep?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you