SOUTH AFRICA: Spiral Horn Slam x2 With Game 4 Africa Safaris

Elise's willingness to use a 375 H&H is a testament to her desire to hunt. The added recoil is enough to scare most women off. I do have one question though, the rifle she is holding in the picture of her with the eland looks like it has a can on it. It might be that this is the rifle she used for the finishing shot(s). Just wondering. I share your "fatherly pride" in knowing that our kids are following in our footsteps as they relate to hunting and the great outdoors.

Art, you are exactly right. The rifle in the photo is the 7mm mag. That rifle was used for the finishing shot. In hindsight, it might have been better to use the 375 H&H in the photo.

One of my favorite stories to tell about Elise is when we hunted a few years ago in Namibia, the outfitters wife was going to take the wives into Windhoek for a day on the town, shopping, lunch, etc. Elise was invited too, but declined stating that she came to Namibia to hunt, not to shop.

The more I hear about her, the better I like her and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet.

Day 4 of hunting: August 5

Since Elise had taken a bushbuck, waterbuck and an eland during the first three days of our seven day hunt, while I only had a bushbuck to me credit, I made the executive decision that today was my day. In previous hunts in Namibia, Elise took a mountain zebra and a common zebra two years ago, here in the eastern cape. I never have had a strong desire for zebra, but I was warming up to the idea for a flat skin rug in my new man cave. So today we were going zebra hunting. After breakfast we pulled out of the lodge and headed down a county like gravel road, which parallels the main hunting property for several miles. From this road, we could see some hilltops as the morning sun was hitting them. Literally while driving down the road, Wik says he can see some zebras up there. We pull off the road and re-enter the property through a gate, drive a short way and then get out and start hiking. It's pretty cold, so the hiking is actually a nice morning workout. We get close enough to two zebras to start checking them out through the binos, but then the wind changes and they take off, over the ridge. I figure, game over. Wik then executes Plan B. We start heading back towards the Land Cruiser and I figure we're going for another ride. Instead, we divert and go around a hill and spot the same two zebras and the wind is more favorable. I get on the sticks and looking at the big stallion who is quartering towards me and is a little over 200 yards away. One shot in the front left quarter and down it goes. I'm happy and will have a nice rug in about a year! Footnote: I checked the price of zebra flat skins in the OR Tambo airport and the price has come down quite a bit. A few years ago they were about R20,000 or about $2k, now they are R13,000 or about $1k. From a purely economic standpoint, buying a zebra flat skin is cheaper, but not nearly as much fun as hunting one!

upload_2018-8-13_16-36-45.png

That zebra is stunning! I love the lack of shadow stripes!

Awesome hunt with your daughter, great trophies and memories that will last forever!

Have to agree with Ragman, the lack of shadow stripes is really nice!

Isn't lack of shadow stripes and stripes down to the hoof just a sign of mountain zebra?

Either way he's a beauty, congrats on a beautiful animal.

It looks like the two of you are having an epic hunt. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens during the remainder of it.

Day 5 of hunting: August 6

Today was "let's just see what Africa offers us today." With everything we had taken, I was wanting to focus on some cull animals and maybe warthogs. We glassed from a high cliff and Wik spotted what he thought was an old impala. Elise went into sniper mode and quickly dropped the impala. Looking at the teeth, it probably wouldn't have lived much longer.

upload_2018-8-14_16-20-53.png

upload_2018-8-14_16-22-26.png

upload_2018-8-14_16-30-25.png

After the impala, we drove around a bit and then got out and just started a foot patrol, into the wind.

A funny side story: Just about all the 4x4 vehicles that I've rode in Africa have been standard transmission with the lockable front hubs. Wik and I discussed the merits of such systems and the Land Cruisers are just a super impressive and reliable vehicle. During the week, we had climbed and descended some very steep roads. The v8 diesel, in low-low, can really climb. Most of the time we cruised around in 2WD and whenever we approached difficult area, the trackers hopped out, locked the front hubs, got back in the truck and away we went. Once through the rough terrain, the process repeated itself, unlocking the front hubs and going back to 2WD. Well this particular morning, we approached a steep section of road, which was a bit rutted and lots of small loose rock. Steep, but not as steep as some other hills we had easily climbed, earler in the week. The trackers hop out, lock the front hubs, jump back in and we start the slow climb. Tires start to spin, engine revs and the forward progress is halted. Had the Land Cruiser finally met it's match? Duh...... The evening before we had forgot and left the front hubs locked. So when the trackers "locked" the hubs today, they actually "unlocked" them. Once the brain and the hubs were fully engaged, we easily moved up the steep road.

We now return to our regular program..............:)

We bumped into a few critters and then came across an old kudu. My turn, so I got on the sticks and one shot and dropped it. Then it got up and ran! We tracked it a ways and got a follow up shot into it and this time it stayed down.

upload_2018-8-14_16-34-54.png

After lunch and a siesta, we went looking for warthogs and found a couple.

upload_2018-8-14_16-36-1.png

Just one more day to go...........living the dream in the eastern cape of South Africa!

This is sunrise, Day 6 of hunting: August 7

upload_2018-8-14_16-37-37.png

It is the coldest morning of the week, high 30s and very windy. Cold for South Africa, but a balmy day in Montana during elk season. We drove about 10 minutes down the road to the 50,000 acre property where Elise took an eland earlier in the week. Remembering we saw a fair amount of blue wildebeest too, we've decided to try for one. We spotted a group but decided to leave them and come back if we couldn't find anything else. We stopped the truck and glassed awhile and then went on another foot patrol. This time into some wooded area. Almost like elk hunting in the dark timber.

Wik spotted some critters and we used the dense cover to work our way closer. Elise got on the sticks and waited. I'd watch her trigger finger move onto the trigger and then off. This went on for awhile and then she got completely off the sticks and we were on the move again. Not far, basically moved to the other side of the bushes we were using for cover. Elise got back on the sticks and Wik was glassing and trying to find a particular bull.

upload_2018-8-14_17-15-32.png

Elise squeezed off a shot and the herd of a dozen or so took off running. We quickly found a serious blood trail, this critter wasn't going far. We went about a 100 yards and found the wildebeest down, but it still had it's head up. A finishing shot was required.

upload_2018-8-14_17-18-27.png

An bull with some worn horns and a lot of character. A great way to finish the hunt!

upload_2018-8-14_17-19-35.png

upload_2018-8-14_17-21-43.png

The last night around the fire. Another hunter arrived in camp that evening. This gent had rifle hunted with Game 4 Africa before and was back to do some archery hunting. It was fun and interesting to share stories with him. Wik's dad, John Coetzee, and I are the same age. John told me I must come back next year and hunt a cape buffalo for my 60th birthday. Tempting.........very temping.

upload_2018-8-14_17-23-7.png

August 8 & 9: Travel Days

Port Elizabeth is a 2 hour drive and our flight was about 1pm. So it was a nice, easy going morning for breakfast and packing. We said our goodbyes to all the hardworking and friendly staff. As we did a couple of years ago, Elise and I gave our matching Carhartt jackets to two of the trackers. I also handed out a few headlamps and spare batteries.

Our SAA flight from PE to JNB was slightly delayed, but we had several hours layover so it wasn't an issue. Elise boarded the Delta flight to Atlanta and it left right on time, around 8pm. My SAA flight to JFK was scheduled for a 9pm departure, but had a 2 hour delay after everyone had boarded. My rear end was already getting soar and we hadn't left the gate yet. Finally left about 11pm and 15.5 hours later arrived in New York. Clearing customs and immigration was quick and easy and I had 4 hours to connect on my Delta flight to Atlanta and then Houston. Plenty of time to go to the Delta lounge and shower and change. Flew to Atlanta and had a rain delay of nearly an hour and then when we got into the Houston area, had to circle due to weather. Finally landed around 6pm and home at 7pm. About 41 hours total travel time.

Until the next adventure................Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written and documented. Thank you!

Oh! It’s over! I was enjoying it so much! Thanks for the excellent report and pictures! I hope you do a 60th birthday hunt and hope it is as enjoyable as this one seemed!
Thanks for sharing!

Nice kudu and great sunrise pic!!!!

Great report, I sure miss that country, that old impala looks like one I passed up when I was over there, super heavy.

It always seems better to read the hunt adventures of people I have come to "know" on the forum and in particular when we have chatted via PM or email. What a great experience to have completed your slam in Elise's company and to witness her sucessful completeion on the same hunt. Love the old blue bull Dave.

Isn't lack of shadow stripes and stripes down to the hoof just a sign of mountain zebra?

Either way he's a beauty, congrats on a beautiful animal.
Cape Mountain Zebra.JPG

That is a Cape Mountain Zebra, No stripes on the Belly at the bottom, Also the top of the Nose has a beautiful light brown color.

I agree Dave Burchell Zebra has got not much Shadow stripes. I guess its Lucky Dave to shoot one with such a Beautiful Skin.

Kind Regards
Wik

I sure hope that the Export of the CMZ does eventually open to the USA. I know the guys are working hard for this to happen.

Dave, you and Elise had a memorable hunt. The report and photos all but had "us" there with you. Thanks for sharing it. Now that this year's venture is over, what are your thoughts and or plans for future hunts? Red Stag and Thar, a Cape Buffalo, all of the "above."

Dave, you and Elise had a memorable hunt. The report and photos all but had "us" there with you. Thanks for sharing it. Now that this year's venture is over, what are your thoughts and or plans for future hunts? Red Stag and Thar, a Cape Buffalo, all of the "above."

Thanks for the nice comments Art! As far as future hunts, like many on this site, I have too many "wants" and not enough time or money. I am going on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt in late September and I do have a NZ red stag and tahr hunt booked with Peter Chamberlain for mid April 2019. I also plan to apply for a Wyoming moose tag in 2019, as I have 17 preference points. That gives me about 10-15% chance of drawing. The cape buffalo hunt might have to wait for a year or so.

Great report and pictures, congrats to you and your daughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg