Country - South Africa
Dates - 5/23/14 - 5/31/14
Type of Hunt (Plains Game, Big Game, Cull, Bird...) - Plains Game
Method of Hunting (Rifle, Bow, Handgun…) - Rifle .300 Win Mag
Outfitter Zulani Safaris
PH - Gordon Brace
Agent - None
Locations Hunted - Limpopo region
Species Hunted - Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Impala (buck & ewe), Blesbok ewe, Jackal
Trophy Quality - Excellent 3 of my animals qualified for SCI recognition
Species Seen, Population and Quality of Game Observed - All plus hartebeest, giraffe, duikier, sable and Eland
Lodging - Excellent lodge
Food - Very good - first rate.
Activities- We spent a day visiting 3 orphanages where we donated, school supplies, clothing, toys, sporting goods, medicine, and candy to the kids which we brought from home plus meat from our harvest. This was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. We followed up our 7 day hunt with 3 days/nights of sightseeing up in Kruger National Park and waterfalls int he area.
Travel Methods Flew from JFK direct to Johannesburg overnighted at Africa Sky Guest House then flew to Polokwane the next morning.

High Points - Too many to mention. The game was plentiful, the PH did EVERYTHING he could to make us happy. The accommodations and food were excellent. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Low Points- Nothing really comes to mind. GREAT TRIP!
Things to Improve
Overall Rating A+
Would Recommend to a Friend? I have, several times.

For a first African Safari, this couldn't have been better. Gordon and I have since become good friends. My wife, Traci, has never really hunted so taking her on a 7 day safari...I was more than a little concerned. SHE LOVED IT, I'm happy to say, and we are headed back in 2016. While there, she harvested her very first animal, and impala ewe which we donated at the orphanages/schools. It was the experience of a lifetime and one we will never forget.

Feel free to ask any questions you like and I will do my best to answer.

Bob

DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0160.JPG
DSC_0210.JPG
DSC_0285 (2).JPG
DSC_0316 (2).JPG
DSC_0350 (2).JPG
DSC_0502.JPG
DSC_0509.JPG
DSC_0641.JPG
DSC_0659.JPG
DSC_0687.JPG

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
very nice indeed !

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Nice trip..

Thank you for sharing...

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Very nice! Congrats on what appears to have been a wonderful trip! (y)
And a couple comments of a specific nature. First off, there is something special about a couple of your pics that I feel compelled to point out. And also to offer complements to both you and your lovely bride as well as the PH/photographer.
The two pics with both you and your wife in frame have a very "we did this together" feel to them. The way they are posed, hands together with wedding rings visible in the shots and both of you with hands wrapped around the Gemsbok horns are truly exceptional photos. These could be examples to all PH's and hunters alike of how to take a picture :) When another hunter's wife or girlfriend sees pics like this, if she's on the fence at all about wanting to go or not, trust me this will push her over the edge.
I like it! :D

ROCKET

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
mghunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, South Africa
Wow.....what a great hunt......great memories from your first time in Africa, you achieve great trophies and enjoying to be accompanied for your bride living this unforgetable experiencie together......you cannot ask for more my friend........for a first time at list........:D

Congrats to both.....!!!!!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Congrats Bob, a great hunt !

Bob Newland

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, RMEF, Orvis Grand Slam, & Boone & Crockett
Hunted
South Africa
And a couple comments of a specific nature. First off, there is something special about a couple of your pics that I feel compelled to point out. And also to offer complements to both you and your lovely bride as well as the PH/photographer.
The two pics with both you and your wife in frame have a very "we did this together" feel to them. The way they are posed, hands together with wedding rings visible in the shots and both of you with hands wrapped around the Gemsbok horns are truly exceptional photos. These could be examples to all PH's and hunters alike of how to take a picture :) When another hunter's wife or girlfriend sees pics like this, if she's on the fence at all about wanting to go or not, trust me this will push her over the edge.
Thank you very much for the VERY kind words!!! It may sound a little corny but my wife, Traci, and I share a very special bond. She had never really hunted with me much prior to this trip (a handful of pheasant hunting outings) and had never harvested an animal. To say I was a little nervous about taking her on a 7 day safari is quite an understatement. I was worried it would get to be too much for her. She ended up enjoying the trip as much as me and took her first animal, an impala ewe. Now next time she wants some thing with some headgear! Thank you again...it's probably the nicest reply I've ever received.

Bob Newland

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
South Africa
Wow.....what a great hunt......great memories from your first time in Africa, you achieve great trophies and enjoying to be accompanied for your bride living this unforgetable experience together......you cannot ask for more my friend........for a first time at list........:D

Congrats to both.....!!!!!
Thank you very much!!! It was a tremendous experience for both of us and we can't wait to return in 2016!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Well done Bob!

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Congratulations on your hunt.

Glad you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

vancewalker007

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, RMEF, SCI
Hunted
RSA
Nice report, looks like a wonderful trip. I also like all the photos and how a dog always manages to photo bomb you in some pictures in Africa. Those silly dogs are a camera hogs.

Warbird782

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
EC and NW Province RSA, USA
Welcome to AH and congrats on such a successful hunt. The success is from the nice trophies taken, the quality time spent with a loved one in the outdoors, and friends you gained from going.

huntermn15

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, AK SCI
Hunted
U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
Welcome to AH and congratulations on a great hunt and time well spent with a loved one.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Thanks for sharing. Nice pics that help to capture the essence of your hunt. Good photos are truly a blessing. Looks like some nice animals. Congrats on yourwife taking part in the hunting. Africa is a magical place. Bruce

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Looks like an awesome trip for you 2

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
great trip , really good photos ,thanks for showing us all

Bob Newland

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
South Africa
Thank you all for the kind words. It was a fantastic trip that Traci and I will never forget. And, you are very correct...our PH, Gordon Brace, took the photos very seriously. I can't say enough how much I appreciate that now!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AleidaCoth

Latest profile posts

matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver