Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Stewards of the Wild, Texas Deer Association, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
USA
Howdy, y'all.

Braden Coleman here. First real post to this forum. This will be my father and I's, first trip to South Africa and first hunt outside of the US, so I appreciate any and all advice from y'all Africa hunters out there. My family and I will be leaving IAH headed to Joberg in 5 days to hunt with Somerby at the Shelanti and Tilodi Reserves and we could not be more excited.

Flying from IAH-> DOH-> JNB on 5/23.
My dad and I have a mixed pursuit of both plains and dangerous game animals. Have a 10-day buffalo hunt planned with hopes of getting on a couple of Kudu, a Nyala, Golden Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Eland, and Impala.

As a big South Texas hunter, I am always in pursuit or preparing for the season ahead. I can't wait to see how things roll out in South Africa.
I have been doing a lot of prep work and am ready to head out to find out what all the noise is about. I have been doing some shooting exercises -- such as drilling four rounds thru my barrel off sticks as fast as I can get em in the chamber and on target from 50-70 yds. Now feeling more confident in my ability to hunt close up dangerous game after closing some distance gaps and getting my scope targeted off sticks much faster.

One of the things I want to be included on this thread is items forgotten before departing on an Africa hunt. We will be using Somerby guns so not worried about getting my rifles over. Curious what important gear, if any, y'all have left behind on y'alls trips.

But any suggestions for packing, travel prep, belongings you overlooked before departure, anything, is appreciated. Somerby has done a great job telling us what we should pack, however, I know there is something I will forget. Haha.

Will keep yall updated on this thread. This is going to be a special hunt and I am looking forward to every minute.

A nice bottle of Kentucky sour mash for Drum !
Both properties that you just mentioned our wonderful.
Have an awesome adventure

Welcome to AH!

Don’t over pack. I “underpacked” on this last trip and I still took too much.

I ask so forgot my rain layer, and it rained ALOT while I was there.

Most important is to relax and enjoy the trip. Your first safari is special, It won’t be you last!

Tilodi is wonderful, grab the last chalet on the right side, it has an outdoor shower!

Also, tell your PH you want to stop at the Biltong shop in Wolmaransstad, it’s a must do.

Congratulations. I am confident you will have a wonderful experience. I take a notebook/journal and recap each day before going to bed. It is amazing how easy it is to forget what happened several weeks after a safari. Enjoy yourself. Your friend, Brian

Excellent idea that @gesch had with the notebook, I begun to forget very small but important details approximately 2weeks later
I will not leave home without it next time

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Journal, journal, journal! I’d also use your phone or camera to video as much as you can to help you remember and share with others. SD cards are cheap…. Stop by curio shops on your way through. Take the time to visit them while you have time- there never is enough time at the end of the hunt. Bring some items to give to local kids-candy, deflated soccer balls. Items for adults: headlamps, carpet and box knives. Bring a good headlamp for yourself and a pair of leather gloves. If you want to “help out”, you’ll appreciate those items.

This link might interest you. This was done by one of our great members @Philip Glass

I hope y’all have a great first Safari. Check out all my YouTube videos on safari planning and packing.
I am sad you are not taking your own rifles On your first safari. There is so much bad advice online from people who can’t follow some simple rules on the process And have trouble.
i hope next time you will get to take your own rifle.
Philip

Welcome to AH, @Philip Glass list is very good so look it over and pack accordingly. Remember that they do laundry every day so three sets of hunting clothes and good boots will serve you well.

I haven't hunted at either place but my wife and I were married at Shelanti by the "Pride Rock". We saw many good animals on our way out from the lodge. So it has a special place in our hearts.

Have a great adventure, enjoy all the sights smells and sounds.

I hope y’all have a great first Safari. Check out all my YouTube videos on safari planning and packing.
I am sad you are not taking your own rifles On your first safari. There is so much bad advice online from people who can’t follow some simple rules on the process And have trouble.
i hope next time you will get to take your own rifle.
Philip
Great safari planning and packing video. We'll see how this safari goes and will probably take guns on the next one.
Thank you @Philip Glass

Those guys are great! Hunted with that crew twice so far and going back in July. Yes don't overpack clothes 3 sets will do they do laundry everyday. Take a good headlamp or LED light some camp lighting is dim and a little more light is nice. Their guns are great I have used them several times their .308 to take that Bushbuck and Drom's Ruger .223 for smiting some Baboons and Andres 500NE for a Giraffe. Take pictures and record videos and record your trip on audio. I added pics of my friend Angelo who hunted there last month with a Buff he got off Tilodi he hunted with PD and a Bushbuck I tagged 2 years ago. They have some nice trophies and nice hunting areas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-132457_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-132457_Messages.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20220519-132626_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-132626_Facebook.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20220519-133513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-133513_Gallery.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 81
You must be getting close by now! Make sure you try the Springbok carpaccio while you’re at the Sherewood Lodge.

You must be getting close by now! Make sure you try the Springbok carpaccio while you’re at the Sherewood Lodge.
I seen the pics of the Carpaccio looked amazing so did the Ostrich steaks. Oh I will be crushing some food over there. Just hope the Sherewood Lodge cleaning staff is not mad at me from the last time I was there. Damn you Andrie and your brandy and cokes and those freekin Coffee liquor shots.

Yeah it was André 's falt is that how you're going to play it? ;)
For sure David.... he should have noticed I was a weak and easily influenced individual. Well that's how I'm going to play it at least. I will pay him back in July. :LOL::Depressed:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois