SOUTH AFRICA: Small Cats & Small Antelope Safari

These trophies should finally be here this week. What a long wait! Plus the Aardwolf and the Cape fox will be missing because their permits expired or were done incorrectly. African incompetence! Now I’ll have to see how I am going to get them home. Y’all know I’ve had hard luck with getting trophies home and this is no exception.

Looks like several of us have been bitten by the small antelope and night critter bug. Have several of them on upcoming safaris.

I’ve found Suni tough. I hunted them in South Africa but wasn’t successful. Permits there are hard to come by I’m told.

Mozambique is the place to go - I think they are quite common in Mark Haldane’s area, for example.

The Suni and the Sharpe’s are all I need to finish the Tiny Ten. One day!

I was hunting in Kwa Zulu Natal in RSA for my rhino but the original plan was a small cats and small antelope Safari. Having hunted lion and leopard it was time for me to pursue the small cats of Africa and I had a start on the Tiny Ten and wanted to try for a few more. I actually bought a donated hunt at DSC because I really had no plans to go on Safari this year.
The night after the rhino hunt we sat in a blind for bushpig but the wind was howling and we realized it was not going to happen. I spent the next two days stalking the sand forests for Suni and Red Duiker. This was right up there with the most challenging hunts I’ve ever done. Walking quietly as possible and the just a flash of red and it’s gone. We finally got a few good looks at female Suni and Red Duiker and even a very close look at an old Red Duiker that we decided to pass on. On the second day we finally caught a Red Duiker unaware but I had a very poor gut shot through the trees. I was about to squeeze the trigger when my PH finally saw horns and said he was good. I asked quietly which was his head was so at least I’d have an idea of what I was aiming at! I pulled the trigger on my suppressed .223 and got my Duiker.
Out of time for another try for Suni we headed for the Free State.
More to come......

View attachment 246191
What did it measure ? Prime ram that

Congratulations and thank-you for posting the pictures and safari recap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg