Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Congrats on the anniversary. What a great gal to go hunting on a anniversary like that. Looks like some beautiful trophies. Sometimes you just have to work harder for your animals. Good job on keeping on after them. I'd say you had a great trip. Congrats. Bruce

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
. . . I cannot fully explain my feelings at this point. This was not a hoorah moment. My feelings on this were more solemn but also one of relief. I had shot poorly on this safari so I was quite relieved that my shots were true and no one was hurt by this very angry cat. But the taking of a top line predator.....well I just can't explain it. This is not to say I didn't enjoy the hunt, just that I wouldn't describe it as enjoyment. I am glad I did this hunt and will never forget it. But it is a different feeling than taking a large kudu or a trophy sized elk here in the U.S. I guess I still haven't wrapped my head around it. I just know after it was done, I was shaking a bit. The adrenaline during the hunt had I guess went to my brain and caused me to focus like I'd never focused on a hunt before, but it was now going to the muscles in my body and giving me the shakes. An amazing experience.

View attachment 161237 View attachment 161238

I know exactly how you felt Phil. Each time I've shot a big cat I've asked the team to give me some time alone with the animal after the pictures, just to let it all sink in. Mixture of relief and awe, perhaps. Maybe a slight feeling that I might not want to do this again - these are majestic beasts (but I do . . .). This is not, as you say, the same as hunting kudu.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I know exactly how you felt Phil. Each time I've shot a big cat I've asked the team to give me some time alone with the animal after the pictures, just to let it all sink in. Mixture of relief and awe, perhaps. Maybe a slight feeling that I might not want to do this again - these are majestic beasts (but I do . . .). This is not, as you say, the same as hunting kudu.

Yes...this!

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I really enjoyed the hunting report Phil and happy anniversary. I agree with you on the lion hunting why should the US tell other countries how to manage their wildlife. I think RSA and Namibia are doing a better job of it than the US

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Hey Phil, first off congrats on your anniversary! That's really something to be proud of nowadays. Secondly, congrats on a great safari. I really enjoyed your comments on what you felt after taking the lioness. Spot on!

I'm definitely letting Sandy read this. Sounds like s great idea for our 25th!

Lastly, how much wine did it take to get Donna to chose Africa over Hawaii?

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Great report and great hunt Phil. We hunted with Serapa in 2013 and it is an incredible facility and can mirror your comments on the lions.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Congratulations on a fine hunt, and many more happy years with your better half.(y)

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Hey Phil, first off congrats on your anniversary! That's really something to be proud of nowadays. Secondly, congrats on a great safari. I really enjoyed your comments on what you felt after taking the lioness. Spot on!

I'm definitely letting Sandy read this. Sounds like s great idea for our 25th!

Lastly, how much wine did it take to get Donna to chose Africa over Hawaii?

For real, no Texas tales, it was her idea. Of course it required no twisting of my arm to agree to it....(y)

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Congratulations Phil, great report and very insightful.
Cheers,
Cody

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
great pics and story.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Happy Anniversary Phil and Donna Congrats on your 25 years and an Awesome hunt.

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
Happy Anniversary. Congratulations, 25 years is a milestone. And what a way to celebrate it.

May y'all celebrate your 50th in like manner.

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Congratulations Phil on the anniversary, a great hunt, and scoping out the new to you place.

I enjoyed the whole report but especially the comments on your whole lion hunting experience. Well written and really from the heart. I could feel it with you. Thanks for that!

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
phil just found this and the internet has behaved long enough to read it all ! nice one congrats on both your hunt and 25th anniversary, and good to see jacques settled in :D Beers:

Christina Nyczepir

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Virginia and North Carolina (USA)
Congratulations, Phil! On your 25th wedding anniversary and on such a successful hunt together. May you two have many more happy hunting successes to remember. And here's to hoping Donna finds a .375 H&H under that Christmas tree from jolly ole Santa this year. Thanks for sharing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeahHale95

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh