SOUTH AFRICA: Shootist43's Participation In The 2018 Group Hunt With Pawprint Safaris

Day 5. We are going after Kudu and Bushbuck on a different farm. This location featured a lot of "riverine" areas i.e. a gully that no doubt in wet weather contained a creek. But for now it was dry, although the steep banks were covered in greenery. It looked like good Bushbuck country. Johnathan drove up and down both sides of the riverine features and we saw a couple female Bushbuck. We then went to a very large hide overlooking a one acre pond. From my vantage point there were two shooting lanes one about 80 yards the other about 120. The wind was blowing our sent towards the pond. A couple of Gemsbok picked it up immediately and hurriedly took off. Johnathan began looking around and found some tinder and a pile of dried Zebra dung. He placed both on a small rock and lit it. Once on fire the dung gave off a masking sent that covered our own. We sat for several hours and saw several groups of Nyala, Kudu cows and young males along with more Bushbuck cows. The smoldering dung did the trick, none of the animals were aware of our presence. About 4:00 we got back on the truck and began driving around again. We saw Zebra and Blue Wildebeest but nothing that we were looking for. Back at camp I wiped the dust off the Whalen and the scope and headed for the bar for a cocktail and to hear how the other guys made out. Johnathan told me at supper that he would be leaving the following day for the East Cape where Pieter had recently purchased a farm that was being converted into a lodge and game ranch that he was to manage.

Day 6. I would be going out with my son and PH Carlos. We split the morning hunting for Kudu and Waterbuck. We went to a different farm where large Kudu were known to be. After driving around for several hours we stopped for a drink. Then we saw a group of Kudu cows cross the road about 500 yards away. Slowly we drove towards that group hoping that a nice bull might be traveling with them. We stopped at about 300 yards and just waited. After about twenty minutes a possible shooter showed up and both Carlos and the driver began glassing him. My son had him ranged at 308 yards and the second circle down on my Nikon BDC was centered squarely on his chest just waiting for Carlos to give me the go ahead. After a couple of minutes both Carlos and the driver decided that while nice this one would not make 55 inches. Shortly thereafter that group of Kudu vanished into the bush. We drove to another farm looking for my son's Waterbuck. Once again no luck. Later that afternoon we drove back to the farm with the large Kudu and waited in vain for them to come down for an evening drink. Close to dark we spotted another nice Kudu, but he didn't measure up either. I'd spent the day hunting with my son which was one of my primary goals for this trip. We discussed hog hunting in Texas next year with my youngest grandson who will be turning nine by then and eager as all get out to go hunting with his Dad and Opa. All in all a very good day.

A hunter hunts and is just as pleased with the experience whether there is game to be had or just the experience of the hunt and the company along with him.

Day 7. Today I would be hunting Kudu and Bushbuck with Scoobie. We ate a hearty breakfast then headed off to a local farm that was known to have several large Kudu on it. The driver mentioned seeing several 56 inch animals and possibly a 59 incher. That got my attention. It didn't take long before we were seeing lots of Kudu cows, a couple of Eland bulls, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, and Waterbuck. Several of which were S.C.I. Gold according to Scoobie and his tracker. Trouble was I either already have one on the wall, in the salt or didn't have them on my list. We saw a couple of younger Kudu but none with suitable headgear. After driving around for an hour or so and not seeing any of the larger Kudu we were looking for Scoobie thought we ought to try our luck on Bushbuck. We went back to the farm with the riverine features, drove around a while then went to cover the large watering hole I'd hunted over with Johnathan several days earlier. We saw lots of Nyala and Impala, a few Bushbuck cows but no Bushbuck. After several hours of sitting Scoobie thought we should return to the farm with the large Kudu. I think we covered every road and or trail on that place between 4 P.M. and dusk. No luck.

Day 8. Our last hunting day. My son, Carlos and I would be hunting for his Waterbuck and my Kudu. By this time I've begrudgingly lowered my expectations. Since I already had two nice animals in the salt a "Silver" Kudu would suffice. We went back to areas that we'd hunted previously and seen possible shooters on several occasions to give them a second look so to speak. Wouldn't you know it, those rascals were sitting tight. The thoughts were that because of the full moon the animals were moving and watering at night. We change tactics and start looking for my son's waterbuck. After 45 minutes or so we see a group of waterbuck cows about a half mile off and decide to get a little closer and look for a male. At about 500 yards we spot the bull laying down in the tall grass. We can't see him clearly but his horns are quite evident. We close slowly to 300 yards and the bull doesn't move, but now Carlos and the driver began glassing him in earnest. There is a cow just in front of him that is grazing back and forth partially obstructing their view. We close just a little more, the bull gets up and both Carlos and the driver say DON'T SHOOT. It turns out that this bull although nice still had some growing to do, shucks. Now it was back to my Kudu. We head to the spot where the driver (the owner's son) thought was our best chance of seeing a suitable animal. We waited then waited some more and as dusk settled we finally came to the realization that the Grey Ghost of Africa had won once again. Nevertheless another good day in the field. Back at camp we wiped down our guns and began packing. Then off to the bar for a cocktail and later to the campfire. Listening to the chatter it was clear that we all enjoyed the group hunt and talked about maybe doing it again. What more could a guy ask for?

This does sound like it was a grand trip! Sorry to have missed it. I hope to see you guys there 2019 the end of July and first few days of August! I decided to have no more thoughts about missing my daughter’s and granddaughter’s July birthdays (just got me into hot water!), so that’s how I came up with my dates.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing a wonderful hunt!

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing, enjoyed the read!

Sush a range of animals is more than few fallow deer but hunting is hunting regardless of the animals seen and those that are taken. Great read of what was a hunt with friends and it dosent get any better than that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.