SOUTH AFRICA: Shootist43's Participation In The 2018 Group Hunt With Pawprint Safaris

When are we going to see some of them here. Not on instagram and without pictures and reports here, the hunt isn't happening.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

When are we going to see some of them here. Not on instagram and without pictures and reports here, the hunt isn't happening.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I think they are all posted up at the Hooters in Joberg and not really hunting at all:ROFLMAO:

Guess I’m late to this thread. Best of luck everyone and shoot straight! Looking forward to seeing your report and pictures.

I want to see the pictures from the hooters in joburg jeeeze

On July 18th four of us met up in Atlanta. C Austin from Kansas City, Art Lambart II from Kansas City, Toby 458 from Georgia and me from Michigan. Charlie purchased a 470 Merkel 140 double from Toby sometime back so they knew each other a little bit. My son met Charlie shortly after we joined AH roughly 4 years ago. I met Charlie several years ago as well. Charlie arrived in Atlanta first, before noon if my memory is correct, my son arrived about 2:00 PM and I arrived at 4:00 PM. Charlie made arrangements for a very comfortable lay-over at one of the Private Lounges where Toby458 joined us about 5:30. From the conversations held over free drinks and good chow it was obvious we were in for a fun filled trip. The flight over was long but uneventful. Because of my physical challenges I'd requested a wheel chair that was waiting for me on the jet-way. The four of us then proceeded through Customs and Immigration together. There was no waiting in any of the long lines. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that there were lots of hunters on that airplane. We picked up our Baggage without a hitch and then went to get our guns. Surprise, surprise, even with long lay-overs (Charlie 9 hrs. Art Lambart II 6 hrs. and me 4 hrs.) only Toby458's guns were on the plane. Although I didn't count them there were about a dozen guys whose rifles didn't show up. No explanations, reasonable or otherwise were given, we were told that they would be arriving the next day. The inconvenience and expense not to mention the 100 mile drive (one way) didn't seem to bother anyone but us. We were met by two of Paw Print's PHs that helped get everything loaded into their trucks and tried their best to assure us that everything would be ok. We could use camp rifles until ours showed up so no hunting days would be lost. Upon arrival at the lodge we unloaded our gear, spruced up a bit and headed to the "bar" where we met up with Billc and his son Dakota for some liquid refreshments. About an hour later we headed over to the Dining area for what proved to be a good supper. The fare was simple but very tasty, it was obvious to all that the cook "knew his way around a kitchen." After supper Pieter Erasmus the Owner/Outfitter assigned us our respective PHs and told us that breakfast the following morning would be a little later than normal in order to give us a decent night's rest and get our gear organized. I exchanged pleasantries with my PH Johnathan and headed off to bed.

Glad you made it back AOK! I’m excited to hear about the group adventure! Oh and just a bit jealous!

Hooters must not be on the way to the airport from Pawprints. Lord knows I needed the distraction from those idiots at Delta Airlines.

Someone was not trying very hard.
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 8.44.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 8.43.04 AM.png

So close yet so far away.

Somehow hanging around the airport when you could be hunting seems to be a waste. No wonder....

It must be about the most frustrating thing to hapen when after months (sometimes years) of planning to finally get African soil under your feet only to find that the very guns that have been such a big part of the planning have not come with you on the plane.

The group hunt was well over a year in the planning. My son and I began discussing what we wanted to take on our second safari 5 or 6 months before the group hunt idea was broached. For me it boiled down to a Spiral Slam (Eland, Kudu, Nyala and a Bushbuck.) On our previous safari both of my sons took "representative" Kudu, the largest one being 50". I was looking for something much larger. I set my objective at a minimum of 55", knowing that it was going to be hard to achieve. The folks at Paw Print Safaris were well aware of my expectations. Since at 75 this might be my last safari, my wishes for the other three were animals that qualified as SCI Bronze or Silver with another Gold providing I was extremely lucky. About four months prior to leaving, my wife told me to add a Zebra which would complete a "decorating" idea she had. After being married to that Texan for 55 years who was I to argue. I also acknowledged the possibility of a Sable PROVIDING all of my other animals were taken first. One last stipulation that I had was for my son and I to hunt together at least for a couple of days.

Day one, everyone gathered for a late leisurely breakfast which consisted of fried eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast. Juice, coffee, yogurt, jams, jelly and a host of condiments were always on the table. There were three types of cereal available for those not wanting to eat a hot breakfast. Breakfast was pretty much the same every day. After breakfast, Pieter announced what each of us would be hunting for the day and selected which camp rifle would be appropriate for each of us. I wound up with a 303 S.M.L.E. with a bipod and can. That should have given me a clue but it didn't register at the time. I fired my first shot and missed according to three guys with binos and or scopes. I fired the second third and fourth shots with the same result. I asked if there was a group anywhere on the target. My son said yes just 4 to 6 inches high. I grabbed a handful of elevation and fired again, still high but better. I dropped it some more and finally hit the 2 x 2 inch white piece of paper on the animal target. My son and I along with our respective PHs headed off to a piece of property with Waterbuck and Zebra on it. We drove on several "roads" if you can call them that and eventually jumped a group of Zebra. My PH Johnathan put binos. on the group to find the stallion. The small herd split up with the mares headed one direction and the stallion another. We saw where the mares crossed a road and set up there figuring the stallion would cross it as well. After waiting for 15 to 20 minutes the PH figured the stallion was not going to cross the road at least where we could see him. So we started driving again hoping to find the herd once again. We got lucky but no stallion. Since this was a cull hunt anyway I decided that a mature mare would serve my purposes as well. The PH selected my target I aimed and fired. The Zebra hunched up and went 15 to 20 yards before collapsing. After the photo session we loaded up the Zebra which proved to be quite a chore. We ate our packed lunch and began looking for my son's Waterbuck. After an hour and a half driving around the property with no success we headed back to camp, dropped the Zebra off at the skinning shed and cleaned up. When everyone was ready Charlie, my son and I along with Jonathan headed back to the airport (a hundred miles one way) to get our guns which Delta "promised" us would be on the plane. We had to wait for all the guns to be off loaded before we could get to the SAPS office that being close to 7:00 PM. Charlie's guns and mine were on the plane, my son's were not. We had to go back to Delta's baggage partner Swisspass to close out our claims and find out what happened to my son's guns. Once again he was promised they would be on Saturday's plane. On our way back to camp we stopped at a Kentucky Fried Chicken joint to grab a sandwich. It was almost 11.00 by the time we got there. Breakfast for 8:00 was planned and we hit the sack.

DSCN1677.JPG

Good shooting with a .303 on a zebra! They are a very tough animal!
I wish my wife would tell me to get another zebra!
Delta “the nightmare airline”!

Nice zebra!

I'm looking forward to hearing why Delta had so much trouble getting your rifles on a plane!

While it had been a frustration in not having your own rifles you have taken an iconic african animal with another much used cartridge in old africa with the 303. The only thing that would have made that unforgettable in a good way was if the rifle had been in the Lee Speed stock (Val Kilmer Ghost and the darkness). I have another B/A arriving for a Lee Speed stock this week sometime.

Day two. After a hot breakfast, Charlie, my son and I headed to the shooting range. My son shot first using my 35 Whelen. The right handed laminated stock and cheek piece didn't exactly work for my left handed son so he had to make a six click adjustment in elevation. My 404 Jeffery nailed the 2" square target so off we went. Charlie and his PH were several minutes behind us. Pieter told me that today I was going for Eland. We drove for about an hour and was met at the gate by the owner. Johnathan and I hopped up into the back of the truck. I am using the term "hopped up" very loosely. Getting me up into the backend was a real chore. I was provided with a wooden box about 12" x 16" x 8" high. From there I put one foot on the bumper and by bracing myself off someone's shoulder and hanging onto the rail I was able to haul myself into the bakkie. The farm was relatively large and we drove around for several hours. We passed a group of smaller Elands but not what I thought I was looking for. You know the "old Blue Eland with a big body and mop." My PH then told me that while desirable by some those Trophy Bulls didn't score very well because the horns were generally worn down. A little while later we eased by a couple of larger bulls that I passed on. Then we saw him, the owner said something in Africans to my PH who agreed that we were looking at an exceptionally good Bull. But again I passed. At the end of the road we stopped and had a quick discussion about the Bull we had seen. To make a long story short we turned around to see if he was still in the area, he'd moved some but we found him. I then made an 80 yard offhand shot hitting the bull perfectly. He tried to take a step backward but collapsed in his tracks. We waited a couple of minutes but the Bull never moved, so the owner and PH went over to check things out. They both came back with sh** eating grins on their faces and told me the bull was even better than they thought. While loading the Eland onto the truck we found the bullet just inside the skin opposite of where I shot him. We then headed back to camp where the animal was off loaded at the skinning shed with an overhead hoist. I asked the skinner (Steve) to save the bullet. We then drove to the lodge and unloaded the truck and headed to the "bar" to celebrate. Over the next hour or so the rest of the guys got back to camp and we began swapping stories of the day's activities. At suppertime Claudius (the cook) put out another delicious meal after which we went to the nightly campfire which included lots of congratulations and or ribbings as the days activities warranted. By 9:30 my eye lids were tugging at each other so I left the festivities and called it a day.

DSCN1681.JPG
DSCN1685.JPG

Nice! Terrific looking old “bluey”! I think you should get rid of that ugly 404 Jeffrey. I could take care of it for you:whistle:.
What’s up next...kudu, bushbuck,…? I excited just reading this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross