Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
Well. I have returned from my second plains game safari to South Africa. Again, I hunted with Spiral Horn Safaris and could not be more pleased. The owner's name is Louis van Bergen and he is also the PH. Lou met me at the Johannesburg airport to pick me up after helping me clear my hunting rifle through the authorities. Easy as pie. Those that are paying $100 for that service might take note. I arrived rather late so the decision was made to spend the night at a bed and breakfast before driving to the Limpopo Province where my 10 day hunt would take place.
Let me say that the service, food and accommodations were just as fine as frog's hair. The hunting equipment and staff where all I could expect. There was the PH; Louis, the Assistant PH; Danie, trackers Robert and Jotham, the chef; Toetsie and chalet staffer Sina. All were as helpful and as attentive to my needs as can be expected out in the African bushveld. The food and drinks were excellent. The chalet I stayed in was comfortable with a firm bed and hot shower.
The rifle I took was a Model 70 Winchester Sporter (CRF) in 30-06 topped with a Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40mm. Probably much more scope than I needed. Most of my shooting was done with the scope set on 3.5 power and once on 6 power. My hand loads were 57 grains of Hunter powder over 180 grain Nosler Partitions. (Thanks, JB).With that one rifle and load I collected zebra (125 yards), kudu (90 yards), gemsbok (65 yards), warthog (235 yards), blesbok (180 yards) and eland ( 80 yards).

I must say that I continue to be impressed with Nosler Partition bullets even after all these years. ( I am retired at 65 years). All were complete pass throughs except for the zebra and eland where I broke the near-side shoulder and the expanded partition was found lodged just under the skin on the off side. Those recovered bullets weighed in at around 120 grains with the front lead completely wiped away. All the animals collected were either DRT or traveled less than 100 yards. Tissue destruction inside the animals was amazing to see. I am very pleased. The eland did take a finishing shot but still did not travel that far thanks to Louis and tracker Robert. Robert was a marvel to watch work.

My thanks to Louis, Danie Toetsie, Carien, Robert, Jotham and Sina. Very special thanks to Gustav, George and Jeanie, and Jan. See you all next hunt!

Blesbok.JPG

P.S. My first hunt with Spiral Horn was a 7 day hunt where I collected implala, blue wildebeest, nyala, waterbuck & gemsbok. Whew...

Attachments

• Eland.JPG
    Eland.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Gemsbok.JPG
    Gemsbok.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 140
  • Kudu.JPG
    Kudu.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 126
  • zebra.JPG
    zebra.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
great hunt, great hunt, thanks for sharing

What's better than an African safari? Another African Safari!! Congrats on some nice trophies.

Sounds like a great Safari...

Good job...

Your PH and trackers make you look good...

Sounds like you had 2 great hunts with Louis, Congrats on some fine trophies and thanks for sharing.

Someone who has managed to do it twice...
Congratulations. Nice Eland.

Good job Louis another satisfied customer.

Thanks for the hunt report! Nice animals! Louis runs a top notch operation.

Thanks for sharing your hunt and trophy pictures with us GaryO!

You can always trust a Nosler Partition.

Congrats for a great hunt and nice trophies. Thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg