Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
IMG_0388.JPG

Hi all, I hunted with Marius of KMG safaris in 2014 and had such a great time I decided to put together another trip in 2017, only this time several friends joined me. I contacted Marius and we settled on May 13 to 22, so deposits were sent to lock our spot in, we had 4 hunters and 3 observers, and some drama was mixed in. Two months before we were to leave one hunter drops out, but one of the other guys has a buddy who jumps at the chance to go, we are back to 4 hunters. So here's the big problem I went for my annual physical and my doctor does a EKG and says hey this doesn't look good go to this cardiologist, several test later, the nurse calls me says we have a cath lab booked for you next Wed, WTF just happened. So 20 days before I leave for Africa I get 2 stents put in my heart via my right wrist, so the doc tells me everything went good, but I found another problem so I will see you right back here Monday morning, are you serious. Monday 15 days before I leave I get 2 more stents via my groin area, and the doctor tells my wife "he is not going to Africa" later that day he tells me "let's see how you are doing next week". Five days before I'm scheduled to leave my wife and I meet with the doctor, I get a EKG and he listens to my heart, tells me there is a chance I could develop a blood clot but it's a low chance. I had told my wife that I would do what the doc said concerning going or not, after checking me out he looked at my wife and said " he wants to go to Africa, so let him go". I called my hunting buddies and Marius and on May 9th we left Flint, Michigan for Atlanta then to JoBerg, over night at the Afton House, then the next day to Port Elisabeth.
So on a side note I was one of those individuals who did not present a heart related problem, I had been working out 5 days a week, 2 hours a day and had lost 35 pounds since the beginning of the year. Needless to say I was shocked at my diagnoses, since heart issues and cancer doesn't run in both sides of my family, I'm the first. So go get your checkups and pay attention to what your primary physician tells you it could save your life, it did mine and I'm grateful.
Our first couple of days were spent at Schotia Safaris Private game Reserve taking pictures and viewing all the different animals along with showing the new African hunters what is a good trophy and where to shoot it. We were able to get over the jet lag and time difference, when Marius and his PH's picked us up we were ready to hunt.
Marius is hunting with my friend Greg and his wife Carole, they go the opposite directions as the rest of us when we were picked up at Schotia, Greg's first animal is a klipspringer, they will rejoin the group late the next night after his successful hunt.
John and his wife Lori were hunting with PH Greg Brown, Terry is hunting with Warren, and I'm hunting with Louw my new cardio rehab PH. Our hunt starts on the 13th but there is time in the afternoon of the 12th after we sight in the rifles. We went down the road about 25 minutes to hunt, it was great to be back in the bush, seen some animals, but no shot were taken. On the way out of the farm that evening we were almost t-boned by a cape buffalo running across the two track, not sure how that would have turned out?
Day 1.
Up early for breakfast and coffee, about 7:00am we head out for the first day of our hunt, I would like a Black Wildebeest. We are hunting on the property the lodge is located on, once we reach the top, off goes the truck and we start walking. Not long after we spot 3 Impala rams, Louw says you want one? they are not on my list, but sure, shoot the one in the back he's the nicest. While waiting for him to clear some brush I notice I'm shaky on the sticks, I'm having a hard time settling the crosshairs, I did notice the new meds I was prescribed did make me jittery for a couple of hours after taking them. I then hear Louw tell me to shift to my right there is a nice BW, wait until he turns then shoot, no shot was presented, and the 3 Impala also had enough everyone is gone. While standing there empty handed another Impala steps out, he is very nice standing broadside at 100 yards chip shot, bang, miss, off he runs no worse for wear, did I just do that, now I feel stupid.
So we continue to hunt when Louw spots some BW, so we jump in the truck to cut the distance, get out and start our stalk, after about 30 minutes, up go the sticks. We are walking uphill and the BW are on the other side of the hill I don't know the distance, Louw says ease up on the sticks and shoot the BW. I get on the sticks and there are 2 BW 60 yards away, I whisper which one, no answer, again which one, no answer, I turn my head and Louw is there with his fingers in his ears. waiting for me to shoot. Off they run, I hear why didn't you shoot, I said I didn't know which one to shoot the one standing or the one laying down, Louw says I didn't see the one, laying down, it's time for lunch. to be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to more of the report!

Sweet! can't wait to hear the rest. And your bushbuck is a stud!!!

Holy moly, drama indeed. I am very glad things worked out for you!

Thanks Kurt for starting your hunt report... You bought me some more time. Don't want to post everything from the trip all at once. I am still digging myself out of a hole at work. I've started my post but just can't find 15 minutes to focus on it nevertheless the 4 hours it's going to take to finalize... It will be worth the wait just like the hunt was for us, I promise....

Hi all, I hunted with Marius of KMG safaris in 2014 and had such a great time I decided to put together another trip in 2017, only this time several friends joined me. I contacted Marius and we settled on May 13 to 22, so deposits were sent to lock our spot in, we had 4 hunters and 3 observers, and some drama was mixed in. Two months before we were to leave one hunter drops out, but one of the other guys has a buddy who jumps at the chance to go, we are back to 4 hunters. So here's the big problem I went for my annual physical and my doctor does a EKG and says hey this doesn't look good go to this cardiologist, several test later, the nurse calls me says we have a cath lab booked for you next Wed, WTF just happened. So 20 days before I leave for Africa I get 2 stents put in my heart via my right wrist, so the doc tells me everything went good, but I found another problem so I will see you right back here Monday morning, are you serious. Monday 15 days before I leave I get 2 more stents via my groin area, and the doctor tells my wife "he is not going to Africa" later that day he tells me "let's see how you are doing next week". Five days before I'm scheduled to leave my wife and I meet with the doctor, I get a EKG and he listens to my heart, tells me there is a chance I could develop a blood clot but it's a low chance. I had told my wife that I would do what the doc said concerning going or not, after checking me out he looked at my wife and said " he wants to go to Africa, so let him go". I called my hunting buddies and Marius and on May 9th we left Flint, Michigan for Atlanta then to JoBerg, over night at the Afton House, then the next day to Port Elisabeth.
So on a side note I was one of those individuals who did not present a heart related problem, I had been working out 5 days a week, 2 hours a day and had lost 35 pounds since the beginning of the year. Needless to say I was shocked at my diagnoses, since heart issues and cancer doesn't run in both sides of my family, I'm the first. So go get your checkups and pay attention to what your primary physician tells you it could save your life, it did mine and I'm grateful.
Our first couple of days were spent at Schotia Safaris Private game Reserve taking pictures and viewing all the different animals along with showing the new African hunters what is a good trophy and where to shoot it. We were able to get over the jet lag and time difference, when Marius and his PH's picked us up we were ready to hunt.
Marius is hunting with my friend Greg and his wife Carole, they go the opposite directions as the rest of us when we were picked up at Schotia, Greg's first animal is a klipspringer, they will rejoin the group late the next night after his successful hunt.
John and his wife Lori were hunting with PH Greg Brown, Terry is hunting with Warren, and I'm hunting with Louw my new cardio rehab PH. Our hunt starts on the 13th but there is time in the afternoon of the 12th after we sight in the rifles. We went down the road about 25 minutes to hunt, it was great to be back in the bush, seen some animals, but no shot were taken. On the way out of the farm that evening we were almost t-boned by a cape buffalo running across the two track, not sure how that would have turned out?
Day 1.
Up early for breakfast and coffee, about 7:00am we head out for the first day of our hunt, I would like a Black Wildebeest. We are hunting on the property the lodge is located on, once we reach the top, off goes the truck and we start walking. Not long after we spot 3 Impala rams, Louw says you want one? they are not on my list, but sure, shoot the one in the back he's the nicest. While waiting for him to clear some brush I notice I'm shaky on the sticks, I'm having a hard time settling the crosshairs, I did notice the new meds I was prescribed did make me jittery for a couple of hours after taking them. I then hear Louw tell me to shift to my right there is a nice BW, wait until he turns then shoot, no shot was presented, and the 3 Impala also had enough everyone is gone. While standing there empty handed another Impala steps out, he is very nice standing broadside at 100 yards chip shot, bang, miss, off he runs no worse for wear, did I just do that, now I feel stupid.
So we continue to hunt when Louw spots some BW, so we jump in the truck to cut the distance, get out and start our stalk, after about 30 minutes, up go the sticks. We are walking uphill and the BW are on the other side of the hill I don't know the distance, Louw says ease up on the sticks and shoot the BW. I get on the sticks and there are 2 BW 60 yards away, I whisper which one, no answer, again which one, no answer, I turn my head and Louw is there with his fingers in his ears. waiting for me to shoot. Off they run, I hear why didn't you shoot, I said I didn't know which one to shoot the one standing or the one laying down, Louw says I didn't see the one, laying down, it's time for lunch. to be continued.
Day 1 afternoon hunt.
We still stay on the lodge property looking for what Africa will give us, we spot some Springbok and were off after them staying below them every once and awhile Louw pokes his head up to see where their at. After a short period of time up go the sticks, shoot the one facing left, ok, I ease up on the sticks and my springbok looked just like a BW, bang and down went my BW. That is why I love hunting Africa you never know how a stalk is going to end.
IMG_0388.JPG

Day 1 is in the books and I have a fine looking BW which I'm very proud of, a couple of drinks, and a great dinner with wine, along with hearing all my friends hunting stories, it's good to here.

Day 2,
Today starts off like every day breakfast and coffee, and were off to find zebra today, we drive about a half hour away to our hunting area. We drive around and spot some zebra up on the side of steep hill, not an easy spot to get too. After some time we come back to the first zebra we spotted and make a plan, which is to come down from the top, problem is the brush is not very tall so if we can see them they can see us. Once we get into position I have a 170 yard down hill shot, Louw says shoot the one facing left after the animal behind clears, I shaky on the sticks again. Just before I get a clear shot Louw says wait the one walking away from us is the one to take wait until he turns, he does and at the shot you hear the impact. I told Louw I think I hit him back a little, we watch him for a minute and see him go down, we leave the tracker to keep an eye on the area he went down. We drive down to where the tracker tells us to stop, Louw says chamber up and turn your scope down and get ready for a running shot. The next thing I know I see Louw picking up a rock, and I'm wondering what I did wrong to make him want to throw a rock at me, 20 feet in front of me is my zebra the rock confirms he dead. Now I start looking for my bullet entrance wound, I find it right smack dab in the ass, 3 feet from where I was aiming, maybe jerked the trigger, or a jerk was behind the trigger. I must have busted his hip or hips and hit the femoral artery to cause him not to go more than 20 yards or so, told Louw I'm going to the range
IMG_0740.jpg

wow going through all that right before the trip must have been tough. You will have earned all the animals you get even more then normal with all that going on. Glad to see it all worked out for the best and looking forward to seeing all you get.

The doc said I might not have made it back from Africa, I would have made it back but I might have been riding cargo class!

The doc said I might not have made it back from Africa, I would have made it back but I might have been riding cargo class!

Oh dam then your lucky they caught it before you went. I am really just glad it all worked out in the end.

Man you were blessed to have a Doc who did things right!

The buff horns drop way down so I expect that they will be spectacular as a trophy.
I really like the zebra with the exceptionally bright stripes. A great trophy for sure. Congratulations.

Day 1.
Day 1 afternoon hunt.
We still stay on the lodge property looking for what Africa will give us, we spot some Springbok and were off after them staying below them every once and awhile Louw pokes his head up to see where their at. After a short period of time up go the sticks, shoot the one facing left, ok, I ease up on the sticks and my springbok looked just like a BW, bang and down went my BW. That is why I love hunting Africa you never know how a stalk is going to end.

IMG_0388.JPG

Day 1 is in the books and I have a fine looking BW which I'm very proud of, a couple of drinks, and a great dinner with wine, along with hearing all my friends hunting stories, it's good to here.

Day 2,
Today starts off like every day breakfast and coffee, and were off to find zebra today, we drive about a half hour away to our hunting area. We drive around and spot some zebra up on the side of steep hill, not an easy spot to get too. After some time we come back to the first zebra we spotted and make a plan, which is to come down from the top, problem is the brush is not very tall so if we can see them they can see us. Once we get into position I have a 170 yard down hill shot, Louw says shoot the one facing left after the animal behind clears, I shaky on the sticks again. Just before I get a clear shot Louw says wait the one walking away from us is the one to take wait until he turns, he does and at the shot you hear the impact. I told Louw I think I hit him back a little, we watch him for a minute and see him go down, we leave the tracker to keep an eye on the area he went down. We drive down to where the tracker tells us to stop, Louw says chamber up and turn your scope down and get ready for a running shot. The next thing I know I see Louw picking up a rock, and I'm wondering what I did wrong to make him want to throw a rock at me, 20 feet in front of me is my zebra the rock confirms he dead. Now I start looking for my bullet entrance wound, I find it right smack dab in the ass, 3 feet from where I was aiming, maybe jerked the trigger, or a jerk was behind the trigger. I must have busted his hip or hips and hit the femoral artery to cause him not to go more than 20 yards or so, told Louw I'm going to the range

IMG_0740.jpg

Day 2 afternoon.
Went to the range just as I suspected operator error when shooting at the zebra, I'm glad it all worked out and I finally had my zebra. We spent the afternoon looking for Bushbuck seem some females no males, did see some young Kudu bulls maybe in a couple of years. Another great evening with drinks, good food and hunting stories, the new guys are having the time of their life so far.

Day 3.
Breakfast and coffee, and the plan is Oryx today so off we go for a half hour or so drive, we are at the same property where the buff tried to T-bone us, the land owner did say there was a wounded buff out there so be carful, let's see some shoot sticks and a 7mag, not a good defense plan against a pissed buff. After driving around for awhile and a lot of glassing several Oryx were spotted, so off we go on our first stalk of the day, as we were making our way to the last known location we were bumping other animals, as you know not a good thing. We were having a hard time locating the Oryx, maybe they ran off, but a sharp eye caught some movement, not mine, and there were a couple Oryx bedded down. After deciding the one was a bull and his horns looked good, not broken or bent, up went the sticks, he was facing us looking our direction at 100 yards, Louw said shoot him below the chin several inches. Now after the zebra I'm nervous, what if I hit him in the chin was running through my mine, as I was aiming I said Louw give me a lean in, and that steadied me, bang and he never got up. Here is the picture of my beast, he is more than what I could have expected, huge bases and 39 inch tall.

IMG_0398.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking critters there sir!

Some great trophies Kurt. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. I had no idea about your medical worries, congrats for your perseverance in following through with the hunt!

Charlie you are correct, everyone did their part, me by getting checkups every year, my primary doctor, who is so busy yet took the time to actually look and take notice of my EKG changes. The surgeon who is one of the best in our area, and seen my other issue that didn't show up during testing, along with my support system, wife, dad, sisters and friends a man should feel so lucky.

Reactions: PLM
Day 1.
Day 1 afternoon hunt.

View attachment 188186

Day 2,

View attachment 188184

Day 2 afternoon.
Went to the range just as I suspected operator error when shooting at the zebra, I'm glad it all worked out and I finally had my zebra. We spent the afternoon looking for Bushbuck seem some females no males, did see some young Kudu bulls maybe in a couple of years. Another great evening with drinks, good food and hunting stories, the new guys are having the time of their life so far.

Day 3.
Breakfast and coffee, and the plan is Oryx today so off we go for a half hour or so drive, we are at the same property where the buff tried to T-bone us, the land owner did say there was a wounded buff out there so be carful, let's see some shoot sticks and a 7mag, not a good defense plan against a pissed buff. After driving around for awhile and a lot of glassing several Oryx were spotted, so off we go on our first stalk of the day, as we were making our way to the last known location we were bumping other animals, as you know not a good thing. We were having a hard time locating the Oryx, maybe they ran off, but a sharp eye caught some movement, not mine, and there were a couple Oryx bedded down. After deciding the one was a bull and his horns looked good, not broken or bent, up went the sticks, he was facing us looking our direction at 100 yards, Louw said shoot him below the chin several inches. Now after the zebra I'm nervous, what if I hit him in the chin was running through my mine, as I was aiming I said Louw give me a lean in, and that steadied me, bang and he never got up. Here is the picture of my beast, he is more than what I could have expected, huge bases and 39 inch tall.

View attachment 188185

Day 4.
Today we are looking for Bushbuck, Steenbok or Springbok, we spent all morning looking for Bushbuck with no luck, as a matter of fact there was very little moving today. When we hunted the afternoon we spotted some female Steenbok, but no males, but it was still a great day in the bush, and I'm in Africa.

Day 5.
Today the plan is Red Hartebeest we had a long drive over to the hunting area, we spend some time with the landowner, he tells us there is a bachelor herd with some good animals in it. Today I seen my first Copper Springbok, pretty sure they are on my list the next time, I guess I need to get the Springbok slam! We drove around for a while this property is open compared to the other areas we are hunting, there are a lot of animals here. We finally spot the bachelor group and there are some fine animals in it now we just have to get to them, after a short walk up a hill we make contact with them, it was difficult to get a shot, between the sun their location and the lay of the land. All of the sudden they bolt and run right out in front of us, and standing there is a great animal about 250 yards, bang, I miss I see a dust cloud above his back off they run. Wait another one comes running up and stops in front of us again, bang, miss, are you kidding me, we watch the group split up one goes over the hill the other goes to the top. Dejected Louw says I will get the truck, when he returns off we go and look there the group that when down the hill is still there, so we stop and go after them. As we are trying to stay our of their sight a Mountain Reedbuck is trying to give us away, all I can hear is him whistling at us. We sneak up to a small dead fall, I have a good rest Louw picks the best Red and I settle in and bang a hit, I went low through the right side of his chest and broke his left leg. He moves down hill a few yards, I shoot again another hit, he goes farther down hill stops one last shot and we watch him go down, are they tough. He is a big male and his headgear is massive, I cannot believe how big the bases are, take a look.
IMG_0406.JPG

As I have said in other posts I have made, Red Hartebeest will always be on my must have list when I hunt Africa, they are beautiful and tough, I can't wait to get him home.

As I have said in other posts I have made, Red Hartebeest will always be on my must have list when I hunt Africa, they are beautiful and tough, I can't wait to get him home
They sure are pretty, tough and fast!

I had a similar thing happen to me. 2 weeks before my hunt in 2016 I had a heart attack. I was only 44 yrs old. Everything was fine then I went to work one morning and it happened. They put 2 stents in as well. The doc said no way I was going. I told him I've had this planned for 2 yrs and I'm going. He said I had to pass a stress test then he'd sign off on the trip. Well I passed and got to go. Here is my dream animal a 52" Kudu and we're already planning our 2nd trip
IMG_1041.JPG

Love hartabeest as well! Congrats on the bull!

I had a similar thing happen to me. 2 weeks before my hunt in 2016 I had a heart attack. I was only 44 yrs old. Everything was fine then I went to work one morning and it happened. They put 2 stents in as well. The doc said no way I was going. I told him I've had this planned for 2 yrs and I'm going. He said I had to pass a stress test then he'd sign off on the trip. Well I passed and got to go. Here is my dream animal a 52" Kudu and we're already planning our 2nd tripView attachment 188229

IMG_0892.JPG
my wrist after the stents were done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg