SOUTH AFRICA: Second Hunt With KMG Hunting Safaris

View attachment 180216

We walked down to the fields on the left of picture up and down the slope where the scrub is in strips to the stream in the bottom out of sight and back and similar in the afternoon not for the faint hearted.
Been to the bottom of that gorge and up the other side myself last year while we were in camp together. It's not for sissy's that's for dam sure! That's one beautiful vantage point to glass from, Marius and I spent one whole day on top glassing between rain showers.

we had lunch there was quite a group around the table today fat cakes were on the menu south African treat, now my son loved the fat cakes on our previous trip today was also his 16th birthday so sent him a picture of a heap of fat cakes with birthday treat I will eat a couple for you I felt so evil not. After lunch Marius told me that louw and his hunter were after bushbuck this morning and had seen a nice buck but were unable to seal the deal on him but they were going to try another property that afternoon, Where the opportunities should be better as it was the last day of their hunt and he was desperate for a bushbuck. So we would go to where he had last been seen and see if we could locate this bushbuck . we still would have a few hours to wait before we would go and look for the bushbuck so we needed to fill some time. Well when I first started to plan this hunt I had toyed with the idea of a black springbuck but this was dropped along the way as the plan to shape but had been in the back of my mind. while I was at mpunzi I found out that not only were the black spring buck very good at the lodge, they were wild to the extent that louw said if you see one send me a picture now this sounds like my kind of animal. well they did not disappoint. Me and Marius spent nearly three hours slowly walking checking out all of their haunts we were told about and never saw a single springbok. we called it a day and headed off to find the bushbuck that had been spotted that morning.

Well we drive to a spot overlooking the bushbuck's last known location we look across the valley to the opposite slope Marius sends Lloyd further along the ridge to scan from another vantage point we settle down and begin to work the slope with our binoculars. Well it was not more than ten minutes before Marius had spotted him way out to our right in the shadows of some scrub Marius says" quick lets go " we grab our gear and set off at a brisk walk almost a jog at the same time Marius is trying to get Lloyd on the radio to see if he can see the bushbuck and to keep it in sight while we move position we hit the track and continue along a couple of hundred meters before heading back into the scrub , we find an open area where we can look across to the opposite slope Marius soon has the bushbuck in his sights and try's to direct me to him but I can not locate him . I can tell from Marius voice that he is a little frustrated that I can not find the bushbuck just as I think I must be going blind there he is stood out in the open No wonder Marius was starting to lose it with me. we move position to find a suitable place to shoot from and settle down. we put up the short bipod I sit on the floor 200 meters broad side easy or so you would think I looked through the scope and the cross hair was all over the place the more I tried the worse I became . I rested the rifle on my lap and took a deep breath I knew this was probably a very good ram just from Marius's urgency up to this point he did not have to say anything I just knew. I picked up the rifle calmed my self aimed and fired well it was the worst shot I have taken in a long time I did connect but with the rear leg the bushbuck took off to the nearest patch of scrub and hid. I reload and we wait to see if he emerges the other side of the scrub but after a couple of minutes it looks like he has holdup in the cover. At this point I am more than a little annoyed at myself for rushing the shot which ended up in a wounded animal that could well be lost to suffer an undignified end. but there was still a chance to put thinks right . Marius contacts Lloyd and makes sure he can see where the bushbuck went and to tell us if it moves, we then proceed to scrabble down the slope to the valley bottom to a track we can just make out the rear of the bushbuck in the scrub I set up on the sticks while Marius looks for better shooting options along the track. after a quick scout Marius says that was the only angle we have. So we have a choice shoot knowing that it probably would not be enough to bring the bushbuck down or wait it out some more. The bushbuck makes the decision for us and moves deeper into the bushes and out of sight. The light is now starting to go so we have to make our move as it will soon be dark. we go down wind about 100 meters and find a spot to climb up and I mean climb we had to pick up Marius's dogs and lift them up the rock face to get them to the top of the cliff , we are now on steep slope and heading towards the scrub where the bushbuck was hiding I turn the scope magnification to its lowest setting and get ready flex picks up the sent and starts to take a line to the scrub Marius says to get ready . Flex enters the scrub and begins to bark I raise the rifle through the scope I see the action unfold the bushbuck charges head down at flex from out of the scrub Marius shouts " " watch the dog " " shoot " flex spins away to the side and the bushbuck comes to a halt clear of the scrub , he lifts his head and I fire my shot right behind the shoulder and the bushbuck drops to the floor.

P1020196.jpg
P1020188.JPG
editbushbuck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dudders that flare and curls are so cool.Congratulations are in order sir. Marius well done another happy hunter @kmgsafaris

That'll do for me too Marius!

Another nice bushbuck!

Just to say louw's hunter did not get a bushbuck, they saw a few but none were suitable mainly younger animals .

Dudders, something tells me you won't be forgetting that Bushbuck hunt anytime soon, congrats!

That is a fine bushbuck. Congrats and well done. Bruce

Shows the value of a good dog.
Glad you got the job done on a very nice trophy.

Shows the value of a good dog.
Glad you got the job done on a very nice trophy.

It was actually Turd that came to the party. Flex being the older dog, I tried to keep him back a bit without making too much noise. His hearing and agility is not as good as Rigby's, so sent the youngster in. Bayed the ram, got charged, got out of the way and gave us the chance to finish the job. He did a tremendous job.

Very nice bushbuck, congrats !

It was actually Turd that came to the party. Flex being the older dog, I tried to keep him back a bit without making too much noise. His hearing and agility is not as good as Rigby's, so sent the youngster in. Bayed the ram, got charged, got out of the way and gave us the chance to finish the job. He did a tremendous job.

Perhaps I can not remember everything unless I write it down. Must remember note pad next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg