AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Good morning. My wife and I returned home yesterday for a very successful trip with @KMG Hunting Safaris. I am on the up at 3AM return from international trip cycle.
Have a couple cups of coffee and trying to catch up on some email etc.Figured I would start our trip report. With the fact that I am starting to fade back into sleep mode I will just start this and finish over several days.

First travel attempt was arriving at the Tucson airport on 26 July with plenty of time to get checked in and begin a long days travel that would resuly in seeing Marius at the PE arrival hall. Well as many have experience with recent air travel our Tucson to Atlanta flight was cancelled. Delta tried to come up with a way to get us to Atlanta and be able to make our connection but now way to make it happen so they moved us back two days. We were supposed to have 3 other guys traveling with us but for one reason or another they all couldn't make it. This worked in our favor as we had planned on a 10 day hunt. So we were now in a 8 day hunt schedule. We headed home and gave Gracy travel a call. They did their usual magic and got our hotel and flights in South Africa all moved two days back. More to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is no way to start a safari Dave.....looking forward to the rest of the story.

Well at least you did make it there! Great for you!

Well with our shuddering start two days ago, we are up again at O-dark-thirty to make the 1 hour 20 min drive to the airport. All the email, texts, phones are checked to see if Delta has sent any more bad news. Get to the airport and everything is on track, check-in was a breeze. Both the Atlanta flight and Johannesburg flight left on time. The only short fall we had is that my wife is needing some back surgery to fix a disk. He doctor cleard her for the flight and said to keep any stalking short (IE under a 1/3 mile) She was a tad sore when we arrived in joberg. Our flight was smooth with the usual less than appealing airline food. We were met by Bruce from Gracy travel, firearms picked up, checked into City Lodge and sat down for a nice dinner. things are back on track and we are back in Africa so all is right in our small place in the world. A good nights sleep and easy check-in with Airlink and we are on our way to PE. We meet Marius outside baggage claim and pickup the rifles and load them in his truck and headed to the lodge. We had planned on stopping by Splitting image Taxidermy and a mohair blanket shop but the 2 day delay put us arriving in PE on the weekend. A hour and half drive where we have a chance to catch up on what is happening in the KMG world since we saw Marius and Kim at DSC. Get our bags to the rooms and get the rifles out to the range. For this trip I was only hunting small stuff so I brought a 6.5 Grendel Howa 1500. My wife brought her WIN 70 7 REM MAG as she has a Golden Wildebeest on her list. My rifle dialed in with a couple shots and a small adjustment to correct for baggage handler bumps and jars. My wife's rifle gave us some fits to get it on the paper and the group was about twice the size as normal. (Remember this part)... Head back to the lodge for some dinner and to bed early. Looking forward to tomorrow start to the safari. More to follow

waiting for the good pics :)

(y) To Gracy Travel Team for reworking your S Africa Hotels/Flights & I know from past experience no easy task! Enjoy your KMG Safari …

Happy Trails

On this report I am going to give details on the animal hunted vs a day by day accounting.
So will start off with the basics. This is my 6th safari and my wife's 5th so the number of animals hunted is smaller by the list is more specialized collector type animals. Due to this Maruis had to plan for a number of specfic areas in the Eastern Cape where the animals native range is, and more than a couple hours driving to different locations.
Equipment:
Vortex Bino's
Wife's rifle is a WIN Model 70 in 7 REM Mag, Swarovski Z3 3-10, 162gr ELDX, 2850fps
My rifle is a Howa 1500 mini, 6.5 Grendel, Riton X3 3-15, 120gr GMX, 2550fps

The first day and first animal we are starting with is a Golden Wildebeest for my wife.

Start of the morning with good cup of coffee and a African sunrise.
sunriseKMG22.jpeg

Gorgeous sunrise! Looking forward to hearing more!

We start off with a drive looking for a mature old golden WB, it is good to be back and just getting to see some new terrain and what the bush has to show us. Mid morning the tracker/skinner spots a bull in the thick bottom area. Work on a way to get closer but the wind is wrong so we leave the tracker in a spot he can see and go the long way around the small valley to get the wind in our favor. A long walk down the hillside and get into a position to see him but there is no shot and he eventually disappears into the thick bush on the bottom. Head back out and have a nice lunch at the lodge, a short trip to the range because the rifle got bumped hard falling off the sticks and head back out to try and locate him again. lots of glassing from the ridge but no luck, however is was a great day to just wake up and be in Africa. Have a fantastic evening meal and get some sleep trying to get the body clock adjusted to local time.

We check a small herd of Golden WB and there isn't a shooter in the group so head back to the same area to try and locate him Most of the morning is used in finding him bay glassing from several vantage points. He is finally located and a plan to get to a spot that he is moving towards is developed and a hour later we are position for a shot. Waiting for the bull to appear and also give a shot opportunity finally occurs. A deep breath is taken, crosshairs aligned a 1/3 of the way up the body and 167 yard chip shot is on its way. Well we are back to when I mentioned her scope. Shot went a foot over the animals back. Everyone is very disapointed, Marius asks how did the shot feel she replys that it felt perfect. So back to the range with a stop by the room to pickup my screwdriver set. Rings, bases, and action screws are checked and everything is torqued where it is supposed to be. Her first shot is 6in left of the bull, second isn't even on the paper, third is 2 inched the other side of the bull. You now have a very frustrated lady. So I shoot her rifle and the first shot is half in high on the bull, second and third are who knows where over the target frame. Analysis scope went south so plan B is made since the grendel is nowhere a wildebeest round. Marius has my wife shoot his 300 WM and 1/2 in group right below the bull. So put her rifle up in the travel case and back out after lunch to try and locate the shooter bull. Much glassing and he is spotter as we are headed back to the lodge and a scramble incurs to get a spot for a shot. There is about 5 min of light left and he is 315 yards out across and small cut, but it would require a shot from the prone and that is a position that her back would complain about severely. Plus with so little light left we didn't feel good about taking the shot. At dinner Marius informs me that we are going to leave him alone for a day or two and there is the possibility to try for one on a different concession on the way to where I am hunting Oribi. As they say lets make a plan and we head out the next morning early and make it to the new place and start looking for a nice bull. Well Marius found a old herd bull that was very impressive and a stalk is put into place and finally a shot is on it's way after many on sticks and off to wait till the bull is clear. A large slap noise of a hit comes back to the ears and off he goes with the herd, on near side shoulder is broken and the bull is moving slowly but quicker than a second shot can be sent. You guessed it, he is heading for some deep thick cover. So the dogs are released to get on the trail and get it to bay. Marius has me grab my rifle and we set out chasing the dogs. The herd is located after a good run over hill and dale, but the bull isn't among them, a quick motion out of the corner of the eye and he is behind us and off Mr Rigby goes hot on the trail and get him to bay we worked in as close as possible and finally get a small opening to get a shot in and one through the brain housing group and he is down. Get the truck down to the area and set the bull up for pictures and off to the skinning shed. Check of the shot placement showed that her first shot was an inch low from being a great heart shot. The low shoulder/leg was broken and bullet went right under the heart. If he had laid down he would of bled out is about 20 minutes. My wife's primary target was down and she is relieved.

gWBKMG.jpeg

Beautiful animal! Good for you!

Once we have the golden down the plan is to head farther towards the coast and pickup the gentleman that is responsible for management of the Oribi permits/hunts. We head to the first area and spot a nice ram with a couple ewes. Several stalks occur with us bumping him before we can get in position for a shot. At some point he determines that we have ill intent for his health and just disappears into a thicket in one of the low laying areas. Well Plan B is another area down the road, a fair bit of glassing and a nice ram is spotted and we work to get the wind right and find a way to approach the feeding ram. We are about a 1/2 mile away with a small little bush and rise between us. Marius sets off with me trailing. first 1/4 mile is in a bent over/duck walk, next 200 yards is high crawl followed by a low crawl till we get to the bush. Marius's jacket goes over the top of the bush and we patiently wait for him to turn broadside at 176 yards. The little grendel speaks and he drops on the spot. This turns out to be my third favorite stalk for me on the safari. While we are getting Mr Oscar the Oribi set up for pictures a small group of cows come over to investigate what is going on. Wee Miss Gypsy decides they are close enough and runs up to about 10 yards and starts barking at them to stop. One of the many memories of her, Rigby, and Flex Tracking and creating smiles.

oribiKMG.jpeg

Next up is a night hunt, in the last couple safaris I have really enjoyed the night hunts. We are heading to the area that Marius uses for Cape Grysbok. It is about a bit over 2 hours away so off we go with the dogs happily asleep in somebodies lap. On the possible list for tonight is primary target of Grysbok and targets of opportunity spotted genet and porcupine. The farm we are at bring along a nice 22lr over 410 shotgun to use the shotgun for the genet and porcupine. We are driving around and about a half hour into the evenings hunt a porcupine is spotted and a shot is taken that goes high. Well I aimed with the front sight like a shotgun bead with out realizing that I needed to aim with the rear sight front sight aligned. Duh, oversight on me:Banghead:. So we continue once we determine that it was a clean miss. About 45 minutes later we come across a pair of porcupines and waited for them to move apart so I don't hit both and yes I remembered the sight alignment and the porcupine is down:Happy: As the sound from the shot fades a grysbok jumps up from behind a bush about 150 yards away. We are now working on closing the distance to get a shot. He doesn't stop for a while but eventually hunkers down behind a bush hiding. Get a shot lined up at 100 yards and have two of my wish list down in 5 minutes. Gather up both and get pictures and start back to the lodge. Very thankful we were successful in under 2 hours, I was expecting to spend most of the night out.

capegrysbokKMG.jpeg
PPKMG22.jpeg

Good job. Looks like Marius is delivering like normal. I’m enjoying the report.
Bruce

Good stuff great trophies.

Next up is a night hunt, in the last couple safaris I have really enjoyed the night hunts. We are heading to the area that Marius uses for Cape Grysbok. It is about a bit over 2 hours away so off we go with the dogs happily asleep in somebodies lap. On the possible list for tonight is primary target of Grysbok and targets of opportunity spotted genet and porcupine. The farm we are at bring along a nice 22lr over 410 shotgun to use the shotgun for the genet and porcupine. We are driving around and about a half hour into the evenings hunt a porcupine is spotted and a shot is taken that goes high. Well I aimed with the front sight like a shotgun bead with out realizing that I needed to aim with the rear sight front sight aligned. Duh oversight on me:Banghead:. So we continue once we determine that it was a clean miss. Abot 45 minutes later we come across a pair of porcupines and waited for them to move apart so I don't hit both and yes I remembered the sight alignment and the porcupine is down:Happy: AS the sound from the shot fades a grysbok jumps up from behind a bush about 150 yards away. We are now working on closing the distance to get a shot. He doesn't stop for a while but eventually hunkers down behind a bush hiding. Get a shot lined up and 100yards and have two of my wish list down in 5 minutes. Gather up both and get pictures and start back to the lodge. Very thankful we were successful in under 2 hours, I was expecting to spend most of the night out.

View attachment 482672View attachment 482673
Very nice porcupine! How rare are those animals in South Africa?

3 more great trophies! Looks like a great time!

Looking good

We start off with a drive looking for a mature old golden WB, it is good to be back and just getting to see some new terrain and what the bush has to show us. Mid morning the tracker/skinner spots a bull in the thick bottom area. Work on a way to get closer but the wind is wrong so we leave the tracker in a spot he can see and go the long way around the small valley to get the wind in our favor. A long walk down the hillside and get into a position to see him but there is no shot and he eventually disappears into the thick bush on the bottom. Head back out and have a nice lunch at the lodge, a short trip to the range because the rifle got bumped hard falling off the sticks and head back out to try and locate him again. lots of glassing from the ridge but no luck, however is was a great day to just wake up and be in Africa. Have a fantastic evening meal and get some sleep trying to get the body clock adjusted to local time.

We check a small herd of Golden WB and there isn't a shooter in the group so head back to the same area to try and locate him Most of the morning is used in finding him bay glassing from several vantage points. He is finally located and a plan to get to a spot that he is moving towards is developed and a hour later we are position for a shot. Waiting for the bull to appear and also give a shot opportunity finally occurs. A deep breath is taken, crosshairs aligned a 1/3 of the way up the body and 167 yard chip shot is on its way. Well we are back to when I mentioned her scope. Shot went a foot over the animals back. Everyone is very disapointed, Marius asks how did the shot feel she replys that it felt perfect. So back to the range with a stop by the room to pickup my screwdriver set. Rings, bases, and action screws are checked and everything is torqued where it is supposed to be. Her first shot is 6in left of the bull, second isn't even on the paper, third is 2 inched the other side of the bull. You now have a very frustrated lady. So I shoot her rifle and the first shot is half in high on the bull, second and third are who knows where over the target frame. Analysis scope went south so plan B is made since the grendel is nowhere a wildebeest round. Marius has my wife shoot his 300 WM and 1/2 in group right below the bull. So put her rifle up in the travel case and back out after lunch to try and locate the shooter bull. Much glassing and he is spotter as we are headed back to the lodge and a scramble incurs to get a spot for a shot. There is about 5 min of light left and he is 315yards out accross and small cut, but it would require a shot from the prone and that is a position that her back would complain about severely. Plus with so little light left we didn't feel good about taking the shot. At dinner Marius informs me that we are going to leave him alone for a day or two and there is the possibility to try for one on a different concession on the way to where I am hunting Oribi. As they say lets make a plan and we head out the next morning early and make it to the new place and start looking for a nice bull. Well Marius found a old herd bull that was very impressive and a stalk is put into place and finally a shot is on it's way after many on sticks and off to wait till the bull is clear. A large slap noise of a hit comes back to the ears and off he goes with the herd, on near side shoulder is broken and the bulle is moving slowly but quicker than a second shot can be sent. You guessed it he is heading for some deep thick cover. So the dogs are released to get on the trail and get it to bay. Marius has me grab my rifle and we set out chasing the dogs. The herd is located after a good run over hill and dale, but the bull isn't among them, a quick motion out of the corner of the eye and he is behind us and off Mr Rigby goes hot on the trail and get him to bay we worked in as close as possible and finally get a small opening to get a shot in and one through the brain housing group and he is down. Get the truck down to the area and set the bull up for pictures and off to the skinning shed. Check of the shot placement showed that her first shot was a inch low from being a great heart shot. The low shoulder/leg was broken and bullet went right under the heart. If he had laid down he would of bled out is about 20 minutes. My wife's primary target was down and she is relived.View attachment 482571
Beautiful animal. Congrats to your wife!

Next up is a night hunt, in the last couple safaris I have really enjoyed the night hunts. We are heading to the area that Marius uses for Cape Grysbok. It is about a bit over 2 hours away so off we go with the dogs happily asleep in somebodies lap. On the possible list for tonight is primary target of Grysbok and targets of opportunity spotted genet and porcupine. The farm we are at bring along a nice 22lr over 410 shotgun to use the shotgun for the genet and porcupine. We are driving around and about a half hour into the evenings hunt a porcupine is spotted and a shot is taken that goes high. Well I aimed with the front sight like a shotgun bead with out realizing that I needed to aim with the rear sight front sight aligned. Duh oversight on me:Banghead:. So we continue once we determine that it was a clean miss. Abot 45 minutes later we come across a pair of porcupines and waited for them to move apart so I don't hit both and yes I remembered the sight alignment and the porcupine is down:Happy: AS the sound from the shot fades a grysbok jumps up from behind a bush about 150 yards away. We are now working on closing the distance to get a shot. He doesn't stop for a while but eventually hunkers down behind a bush hiding. Get a shot lined up and 100yards and have two of my wish list down in 5 minutes. Gather up both and get pictures and start back to the lodge. Very thankful we were successful in under 2 hours, I was expecting to spend most of the night out.

View attachment 482672View attachment 482673
Nice job on the little guys and Porci!

As usual, Marius getting it done with his clients. He can even make me successful :)

what an incredible oribi! I am officially jealous as hell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois