Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
I had planned to go to Mozambique with a group of friends for my sixth African Safari, but the hunt was canceled, so we made another plan with Outfitter Adam Barnard of Spitskop Safaris.

We would hunt in four different locations in order to hunt all the species we were interested in. In the end I took a Scimitar Oryx, Mountain Reedbuck, Baboon, 2 Jackals, and 6 Warthogs. Hyena and bush pig eluded me!

My PH for the hunt was Heinz Krause; I knew him from last year but had not hunted with him. A very nice guy and excellent professional, I would hunt with him again anytime.

Day 1.

We arrived at Joburg on September 22 at 10 am, were met at the airplane door by an airport employee I have known for many years and went through the “fast lane” at immigration in 5 minutes. Picked up our luggage and started our 6 hours road trip to Pongola game Reserve in KwaZulu Natal. None of us carried rifles as we were required to shoot with suppressors, which are illegal in our country.

A word about Pongola, I already knew the area, as I had hunted at Mkuze Falls, which is very close. To me it is the most beautiful scenery I have seen in SA, rolling hills, the river, the great lake, and a lot of fine animals. Unfortunately they are also suffering from this 3 years long drought, so it was not as green as I could remember it. The camp is situated on a hill overlooking the valley and the view is magnificent. Wooden chalets on stilts, well appointed, but in need of a little maintenance, especially the plumbing. Food was very good.

fiIaRFs.jpg

mDdNJjy.jpg

6qIcxtq.jpg

k9mDggq.jpg

At Pongola, we were met by Fanas, a Zulu PH from Leeukop Safaris, who would coordinate our hunt. We inquired about the arrangements made for hunting bush pig and hyena which were our reason to be in Pongola. He said bush pig was fed every day with kitchen leftovers, on two different places, fitted with sensors and red lights, and they had 100% success. As for hyena, they had done absolutely nothing, neither baits nor cameras, there were many, and lived in gullies between the hills, his trackers would flush them out and all we had to do was to shoot them.

To say that we were very surprised would be an understatement!

Day 2.

Following Fana´s instructions we climbed a path on one hillside, while the local tracker walked at the bottom of the gully, looking for hyena. We saw tracks, but no hyena. I shot a nice warthog which was on the opposite hillside, about 120 meters away, with a suppressed Marlin .243. We repeated the action on another gully, but same story.

47mwrZA.jpg

dkIRztw.jpg

That night two of us went bush pig hunting, my friend bagged a female, but my red light failed to work! When my PH heard some noised at the bait, he flashed a white light, discovering a small pig, which I did not shoot. It would have been nice if they had checked the light installation before the hunt!

Day 3.

We repeated the same procedure with the hyenas, and got the same result. We came down to the Pongola River and spotted a few warthogs, which were hard to judge as the grass was high and it was hard to see the tusks. I took a large female. A lot of other game were around, impalas, waterbuck, nyala, a couple of rhino, and several crocs.
z0vdejU.jpg

ORHWju0.jpg

In the afternoon we went down the gully again, when we spotted a nice mountain reedbuck up on the hillside in front of us, which I shot at about 150 meters with a suppressed 30.06.
EUaEF7Z.jpg

That morning we had suggested to Fanas to set up a bait for the hyenas that night, to which he agreed, so we dragged the entrails of the animals I has shot, set up the bait, fox pro, red spotlight, all of which we provided, and settled in the dark. After a couple of hours, the wind turned, and we called it quits.

Day 4.

As we weren´t exactly happy with Leeukop Safari´s arrangements on our hyena hunt, we left for Bloemfontein, a day´s drive across Natal and the Free State. That makes it two days lost driving, but the positive side; we did see some nice countryside.

We spent the night in a very nice lodge at the outskirts of Bloemfontein.

Day 5.

We arrived at Klipkraal farm where one of my friends was to hunt an aggressive buffalo that the owner was very keen on getting rid of. As we arrived and stopped near the lodge, the buffalo accompanied by a young male, was drinking at a pond. As he saw us he immediately charged the bakkie, a great sight, as he was very big, with 43 in horns. He then broke the charge and disappeared among the bushes. The hunter, PH, and another hunter as backup went after their tracks; I followed about 20 meters back with local PH Cristo.

We looked after them for nearly two hours, it seemed they had just vanished, but I spotted the head of the younger buff lying low in the shadow of some bushes under a tree. Motioning to the hunters, they approached the bushes, and the large bull raised, the shot hit him in the lungs, we could see he was hurt but still on his feet, and escaping. I took us a further 45 minutes following him and after several shots, he was finally down.
MIByrYM.jpg

L5qMUhx.jpg

ixd249O.jpg

ohvOZeF.jpg

AOK6Diy.jpg

After skinning and butchering, we had lunch, loaded the carcass on the bakkie and set off for Kimberly, a two hours’ drive.

Day 6.

I spent the morning hunting my Scimitar Oryx at Spitskop farm. This is a rare animal, which was listed as extinct in the wild, until two herds were reintroduced back in Mali. There are some in zoos, and a few farms in SA. You need a specific permit from Nature Conservation to hunt one.

There are two herds at Spitskop, and Adam was very keen that I shoot the older of the males, which suited me fine, as I don´t hunt for inches, but for old animals. Once PH Heinz had located the oldest male, we set up the stalk, which is not easy, as these animals are quite spooky, and there is not much vegetation in that farm, just flat sandy soil, some bushes and a few acacia trees. Our stalk was blow several times, as the wind was changing constantly. Finally we had a chance, as the big bull was alone at the rear of the herd, looking suspiciously at the bush we were hiding behind. It was a long shot, more than 150 meters, but Heinz was confident in my abilities, so he said shoot, and the bull dropped dead with a 25-06 bullet.
yx0OroI.jpg

Brown hyena tracks had been seen around a ditch where they dump the animal remains, so we decided to add the entrails of the animals which were shot that day and sit in a blind during the last daylight hours in case they came back.

No luck!

Day 7.

Grasvandt is a 27.000 ha. cattle farm about 45 minutes´ drive from camp where Adam leases hunting rights. All game in it is wild and not managed in any form. There is gemsbok, kudu, steenbok, warthog, jackal, and baboon, as far as I can remember. We spent the day close to a waterhole, and I managed to shoot two medium sized warthogs with a suppressed .243.

Day 8.

We returned to Grasvandt farm, this time focusing on baboon, these cheeky fellows have the habit to steal the grain the cattle is fed to fatten up before they are sold. So I set up ambush hoping to get a clear shot, which is not easy due to all the farm equipment around and the possibility of hitting a heifer.

We had a cold front which brought some rain, and made the wait unpleasant. A huge old baboon came to eat, but I never had a clear shot, and he ran away when some farmhands came around.

The weather got worse, developing into a real storm, so we went back to camp and had to stay there in the afternoon.

Day 9.

Today we hunt lion. We drove from Kimberley to Sans Souci, a 12.000 ha farm near Madibeng, in the Kalahari. It took us about 6 hours. The scenery along the drive is worth it, there are no signs of human habitation between Kuruman and Madibeng , and that is about 200 km.

We had a cup of coffee, and went about searching for our lion, the usual procedure being driving along the trails until you see lion tracks crossing. This was made easier as it had rained the previous night. We located the tracks, and continued driving around the block, to see if there were exit marks, there were none, and I saw a strange round outline in the bush. There he was, lying low. Hunter and PH´s exited the bakkie, and took a detour to get a clear shot, while I stayed on top to observe. A shot rang, the lion jumped and fell dead, right on the spot, the bullet had entered just under its nose and stayed inside the head.

94u34Lk.jpg

sYqZ9n6.jpg

AnJ70Uo.jpg

s0Bq7Yl.jpg

4uS8x61.jpg

zi9a09Q.jpg

Back to Kimberley, where we were greeted by a fabulous storm.

Day 10.

Back to Grasvandt to wait for the elusive baboon, but no luck, storm again, back to camp. Siesta, and a drive for an opportunity target, steenbok, duiker, warthog…. Finally connected with a big female warthog, storm again, back to camp.

4L9ertV.jpg

Day 11.

Last hunting day, back to Grasvandt, seems like I had Saint Hubertus on my side, during the morning I shot a very big warthog, two jackals and a huge baboon!
hAKISfF.jpg

hltMRfq.jpg

zjjG2Zb.jpg

Siesta and storm again.

Day 12.

We went to Kimberley, did some shopping, lunch and took the plane back home.

Attachments

• zjjG2Zb.jpg
    zjjG2Zb.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 193
  • hltMRfq.jpg
    hltMRfq.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167
  • hAKISfF.jpg
    hAKISfF.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 196
  • 4L9ertV.jpg
    4L9ertV.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 171
  • zi9a09Q.jpg
    zi9a09Q.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 197
  • 4uS8x61.jpg
    4uS8x61.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 179
  • s0Bq7Yl.jpg
    s0Bq7Yl.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 167
  • AnJ70Uo.jpg
    AnJ70Uo.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 186
  • sYqZ9n6.jpg
    sYqZ9n6.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 142
  • 94u34Lk.jpg
    94u34Lk.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 188
  • yx0OroI.jpg
    yx0OroI.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 168
  • AOK6Diy.jpg
    AOK6Diy.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 195
  • ohvOZeF.jpg
    ohvOZeF.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 141
  • ixd249O.jpg
    ixd249O.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163
  • L5qMUhx.jpg
    L5qMUhx.jpg
  • MIByrYM.jpg
    MIByrYM.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 146
  • EUaEF7Z.jpg
    EUaEF7Z.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 150
  • ORHWju0.jpg
    ORHWju0.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 176
  • z0vdejU.jpg
    z0vdejU.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 182
  • dkIRztw.jpg
    dkIRztw.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 174
  • 47mwrZA.jpg
    47mwrZA.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 164
  • k9mDggq.jpg
    k9mDggq.jpg
  • 6qIcxtq.jpg
    6qIcxtq.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 162
  • mDdNJjy.jpg
    mDdNJjy.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
That was a road trip of proportion.
You got some good trophies and your friends did well too.
Congratulations.

Sad on the Hyena hunt.
I thought it strange how they hunted Hyena at Pongola as well.
We pushed the gullies and threw rocks in to them and then just ended up doing a spot and stalk. It popped out on the road and that was it.
No baiting and daylight success.

You can see all the grass that was present before the drought.
IMG_2654.jpg

I think you will recognize this culprit.
He, along with many others, came to see my trophy after the hunt was done. It was reportedly the first Hyena taken on the reserve so it was a novelty.
IMG_2702.jpg

Yes, a smiling Fanas !
Well according to Leeukop, Pongola was the very best area in the whole SA to hunt a spotted hyena !
Anyway, the whole experience was great, although quite tiring with so much driving.

I think luck played a rather large role for me in many of my hunts and certainly for the Hyena.
That much driving is tiring. You get to see plenty of country but it takes energy and time.

Not sure about anyones claims about being "the best", even theirs.

You guys sure did cover a lot of territory and some great animals as well!

Thank you for sharing,

Edge

Glad you had another great hunt. Adam and spitskop are a great outfit and have some great areas to hunt and see.

Congratulations on the hunt.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

//Gus

Nice pigs!!

Congrats on the hunt! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats!

Love the pigs as always... never too many pigs!

That really is a shame on the hyena, especially if it was to be a primary animal for that part of the hunt.

Thank you for sharing the report sir. You and your party did very well for yourselves.

Some nice pigs!! And buff, and lion....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a good hunt overall. Never heard of hyenas being hinted that way, at least this gives you another excuse to go back!

You guys did great especially with all that driving! Man am I jealous of the warthogs, baboon and especially the jackals! They are all on my bucket list and I haven’t managed to get any yet. Next trip!

Wow @Nyati, you put a big hurt on some great warthogs! Looks like a great hunt overall, congratulations.

Congrats on the critters and thanks for the hunt report.

Congratulations on the hunt. Sorry about the Hyena. Nice pigs and a proper baboon!

Congrats on a great trip!

Nice animals, I'm super jealous over those great warthogs! Congrats! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you