SOUTH AFRICA: Safari For My Son With Balla Balla Safaris South Africa

Excellent trophies and report. Your son is going to be grinning ear to ear for quite a while!

That's a very nice hunting report. I'm fairly new to this site and really enjoyed your report. Congrats on you and your sons wonderful trophies.

Well done! You're spoiling your son with trips like this one!! Congrats to you both.

A fantastic hunt and an excellent report. No doubt you will have a hunting partner for the rest of your life. In the future, you will get more enjoyment showing your son's trophies than your own. Now that you've whet his appetite, you need to start planning your next hunt. It does not have to be Africa, hunting Hogs in Texas is a blast, it is the time you spend together that he will remember most, not what gets hung on the wall.

Day 7

After such an amazing day, Grant was exhausted and wanted to sleep in. He yielded to me and let me go in search of the rare orange Nyala bull.

We started off just after first light as the night was cold and we expected the Nyala to be sunning and feeding. We spotted several nice males and multiple groups of female with calves. About two hours into the morning, thinking we would never find the bull I spotted two mature cows about 150 yards off feeding in the sun. Upon closer inspection it was the orange bull and a cow. He saw us and was alert, quickly I got into position and took the shot, right on the shoulder. He bucked up in the air like a bronc and went about ten paces and fell over. By the time we got to him he had expired. I was truly in awe to see the trophy, a rarity I have know of for more than 30 years and never imagined I would have the opportunity to hunt one. Alan, Hermann and I looked at this bull in amazement, his body was 1.5 times larger than a female Nyala but with horns. Upon closer inspection, we noticed his testicles were very underdeveloped. Obviously the lack of testosterone is what created this freak of nature. I have been very Blessed to hunt the great African Continent many times over the last 31 years and this year proved no different. Every time I come on Safari, I get some sort of surprise. But let me tell you this, never in a million years did I think this would be the surprise!

IMG_4268.JPG

We were off to another property in the Southpansberg Mountains to go and call a Red Duiker. After passing many avocado and macadamia nut plantations we arrived in a beautiful valley, with lush riverine bottom land. The habitat looked perfect as we walked about a kilometer to where would set up. At about half past four, Hermann began to call. Using a mouth blown call that simulated an animal in distress he called a few times in 10 minute intervals. We carried on right to dark with no success. The forest duikers are all tough and the Red Duiker of South Africa is no different. I will try again another time as tomorrow is the last day and it is devoted to Grant.

Day 8

Today the goal was Klipspringer and Alan has had success calling them. We started just as the sun got high enough to warm the air and at our second set up we had two Klipspringer come to the call, they stood behind a bit of bush at about 200 yards and we struggled to identify the male. Finally after about ten minutes they had enough and off they went. Its quite exciting to call them in as when they come running it is a site. Alan uses a mouth blown varmint call and the sound is very similar to the call the pygmies made when I hunted Duiker in the forest.

We went through to about 1:30 calling in a couple more but unable to get a shot. Back to the lodge for a quick lunch and back at it at 3. We hit several locations in the afternoon with no success - never saw any Klippy's. I told Grant you have to leave something for when you come back. He's determined to get a Klipspringer someday and I'm sure he will.

It was a great week and a half with my son, one on one. Between three siblings, business and high school we rarely have the time to truly talk. We had countless discussions about life, his future, hunting, faith and so much more. As I've said many times before, the hunt is simply a catalyst for the memories that are made. I will always cherish this time with him and look forward to the next campfire, wherever it may be.

In closing, I want to thank Shawn, Alan and Kendall Bird as they took great care of us and treated us like family. Also to Hermann Scheepes for guiding me to a trophy that I am still in shock I was able to collect - The Rare Orange Nyala Bull. Also for sharing his new concession with us and helping Grant take two exceptional trophies.

Thanks Spike, Shawn was visiting in January and invited Grant over so I had to come!

Sorry I will miss Zambia this trip, still looking forward to a Mosi and visit with you.

Good Hunting

o_O.....a year already.....you are joking.........:eek:

JE,

Thanks for sharing the report. Sounds like a fantastic trip with your son. Enjoy all those moments when you can.(y)

That's a very nice hunting report. I'm fairly new to this site and really enjoyed your report. Congrats on you and your sons wonderful trophies.
Thanks @Lucky 1, enjoy the site and stay involved. Be sure and write about your hunts as well all enjoy the stories.

JE,

Thanks for sharing the report. Sounds like a fantastic trip with your son. Enjoy all those moments when you can.(y)
Thanks @Wheels, look forward to catching up in Dallas next January

Thanks for sharing! Love the color of that Nyala

Well done guys... a great experience and superb trophies.
Good shooting, Grant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois