SOUTH AFRICA: RSA Safari Report

Have enjoyed this report Dan

I, also enjoyed your report. Nice animals and good shooting. Glad to hear that you avoided the wreck. What a mess. Glad you got your rifles back.
Bruce

Great hunt but the accident and incident with SAPS was a nightmare.
If the police really wanted they could have done charges as the two vehicles were seperated and not in sight of each other. TJ could have had years of issues and trouble.

Unfortunately we have a government that is anti firearm at the moment and you felt a big deal of it. So they enjoy to take normal law abiding citizens to ends as they cannot and do not work hard enough to catch real hard core criminals its easier to pick on the easier targets.

With Covid and occasional road blocks being the norm these days I hope that this will be a motivation to stick to the laws and not have your firearm seperated from you when traveling. It only takes a police officer that is in a bad mood to make matters bad to hell.

Kudus to PHASA and those who helped you out you would not like to be in a jail in Africa at all.
Glad you are still thinking of coming back after this ordeal and be aware it can only get better.

Great report - thank you!

As a South African, I am truly sorry that the inept officials tried their luck with you - I wonder if there wasn't some hope of a shakedown/bribe (which makes this even worse!)

I don't think you were in any real danger of incarceration but that gives little consolation when a tin-pot police sergeant is letting his ego loose. The judiciary in RSA has also had enough of the police and their incompetence around following the laws of the land wrt to firearms - so had it gone to court, the judge would have had little sympathy for the police.

Basically they knew you had a plane to catch and wanted to jerk you around.

The take-away from this unfortunate incident is that is IS a legal requirement to have your firearms under your direct control at all times in RSA, so it is best to have your rifles in the same vehicle as you when traveling on public roads (outside of the airport, this is the only time you are at risk of encountering the police)

I salute your positive attitude and hope you make it back to the African hunting fields soon!

What a rollercoaster of a ride! First a great hunt among some friends with some excellent animals taken, then the tragic accident and surge of petty bureaucratic egos…

One thing is for sure, when I ever travel to Africa with my own rifle, I’ll make sure to keep it in the same vehicle as I. Without the help from Phasa, Somerby and many others, this could have made a nightmare reality.

How is TJ doing for the moment? Still recuperating well?

Congratulations on a successful safari, glad everything turned out ok. In the end it's all memories. Thanks for the report, I learned something new. I imagine I am not the only one here that has left their firearms with the outfitter/PH when taking a tour after their safari. Not sure how I would handle this the next time, something to think about.

Nice report, and congratulations. I really hope your PH will be OK. You seem to have dealt with the incompetence, disinterest, and disorganisation of the RSA police really well. I have missed so many flights and hunting days, that it is difficult to believe. A first time hunter has to know that what you describe at the airport is common and plan accordingl (at least psyhologically). Some other countries can add corruption to the list, too. Still, the African experience is so wonderful, it is worth it.

Glad i could ward off similar hardships by sharing my report.

Yes, i will never allow my rifles out of my control again.

Somerby indicates that TJ is beginning 2 mend. I am told that KC SCI passed a hat 4 him. I also know of a person who sent some $ to get him thru 2 months of lost wages. I have gotten him something, and hope others will also.

With PHASA & Somerby, who wouldn't go back? Albeit, with my rifles handcuffed to my wrist like the nuclear football! Lol!!!!

Hi Dan, sorry to miss the start of your report yesterday!
No ifs or buts, you and your wife certainly had a South African adventure, a hunting trip you will remember for a great many years! A great write up some fine animals and photos and obviously an eye opener on what can go wrong, but put across in way that it is not plain sailing all the time! I think your time in the forces stood you in good stead!
Great how a chunk of different people stepped up and helped and your positive report on those who helped you out!
Yes I to like the Steiner 8x30 binos!!

A buddy near me has scolded me for leaving out two things.

Knife - I had a Battle Horse Knife out there with me, and an SRK-1 for security work, should that have been needed. When we went out on the economy, I had a neck knife, a belt knife, and two folders.

My ammo load was the last of my RL-15 handloads, and Buffalo Bore 270gr that clocks 2700 FPS out of 20" Rugers (he has guide guns, I have the Alaskan).

DesperateZulu - Juan apparently WAS worried I would be put in the tank - he thought they would no grant bail before the trial as I had a ticket back to the US and since I had no relations or property in RSA, they would consider me a flight risk and deny bail. Apparently, though, the hard work he and PHASA have done for years built credibility with the SAPS higher ups and finally convinced them to let things go.

CAustin - WOW! If I can bring a smile to someone who has done 8 trips to the dark continent, I musta done OK on the write-up - thanks!

Congratulations on a successful safari, glad everything turned out ok. In the end it's all memories. Thanks for the report, I learned something new. I imagine I am not the only one here that has left their firearms with the outfitter/PH when taking a tour after their safari. Not sure how I would handle this the next time, something to think about.
cls, leaving your firearm safely in a safe with the outfitter is different than travelling with it in another vehicle. Outfitter just needs a copy of your permit and a register that you booked in your firearm for safe keeping while you are out on the road. Obviously you will have to go back and collect them. The big issue here was that the rifles where not in direct contact with Dan and with the accident the firearms were left unattented.

DesperateZulu - Juan apparently WAS worried I would be put in the tank - he thought they would no grant bail before the trial as I had a ticket back to the US and since I had no relations or property in RSA, they would consider me a flight risk and deny bail. Apparently, though, the hard work he and PHASA have done for years built credibility with the SAPS higher ups and finally convinced them to let things go.
Hi Dan,
Juan for sure knows better than me on these matters - I'm sure his involvement helped, no question.

I do believe that you would have had to be extremely unlucky to face any charge - the SAP police have bigger fish to fry (and at this point they're too incompetent to switch a fryer on, let alone catch a fish!)
While you technically did commit an offence/felony, the fact remains that it was minor and you could clearly demonstrate that there was zero malicious intent. Their only leverage was that they knew you were due to fly, so they wanted to have some entertainment at your expense. Of course you were in no position to test their seriousness. As you mentioned, it's fantastic that both PHASA and your outfitter/PHs stepped up when needed!

I am glad (as I suspect you are) that we can debate the hypothetical over the internet from the comfort of our own homes! And there's no story about an overseas hunter getting the book thrown at him by the SA authorities!

Hopefully in time, these events add some 'patina' to your memories of the trip - experiences with a few hardships along the way that end happily are the best!

Cheers,
Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross