SOUTH AFRICA: Rob Returns For His Fourth Hunt With Karoo Wild Safaris In South Africa

KAROO WILD Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2016
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Robert Russell from Solihull, Birmingham returned to hunt with Karoo Wild Safaris for a fourth consecutive time. Rob brought his trusted 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with him and a brand new .375 H&H that had never been fired in the field before.

After a couple of days playing golf in Port Elizabeth at the oldest links course in Africa, Humewood and at Wedgewood Country Club we headed out to the lodge.

Rob took a great sable bull as well as a common, cape, black and copper springbuck, completing his springbuck slam. He also took a superb white blesbuck. We had some trouble with the untested .375 on the trip. Rob was nevertheless able to take some very good trophies.

imgp6504_copy1682157327.jpg
imgp6496_copy.jpg
imgp6493_copy363554288.jpg
imgp6508_copy1252553132.jpg
imgp6501_copy566335266.jpg

Rob and I have some memorable hunting memories stretching back a few years and although this was our toughest hunt we had some good times and look forward to creating some new ones in the near future.

It was great to see Rob again and hope to see him again next year for another hunt.

Congrats Rob!

Congratulations with your trophies, Rob. Cherish your memories...

Good stuff Victor. Nice trophies and congrats to Robert. Love that landscape.

Congrats to the hunter

Thanks guys! Next year will be Rob's 5th hunt with us and we're planning on hunting a Cape Buffalo. From his first African animal taken way back we've made some terrific hunting memories and it's been a dream of his to hunt buffalo right from his first African hunt.

Out of curiosity what animals did he take with the 6.5 x 55 and what did he take with the 375 H & H. At what distances were the animals shot?

Well done sir. Congratulations.

Out of curiosity what animals did he take with the 6.5 x 55 and what did he take with the 375 H & H. At what distances were the animals shot?

All the springbok were taken with the 6.5 at distances varying com 140 to 230 yards. The sable took several shots from the .375 at 170 yards. The white blesbuck was a one shot kill at 190 yards with the .375.

What I was reminded of on this hunt is that an untested rifle especially one with significant recoil like a .375 takes getting used too no matter how experienced the shooter is. Rob is an outstanding marksman and shoots long range as a sport. The same thing happened to me when I first starting using my own .375. I developed a flinch and it affected my shooting with all my rifles. Took me awhile to iron it out. Just something to remember for those hunters making the transition from PG to DG where a larger caliber is required. Rob did the right thing here...bringing his new .375 on a PG hunt before trying to hunt buffalo with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg