SOUTH AFRICA: RIFLE: BOWHUNT: Rifle & Bow Hunt With Shaun Keeny Safaris

Awesome roan, congrats to your son!

This is looking like a fantastic family hunt, congrats !

Day 8

Everyone was up and out the door by 7:45, Parker, Tavi and Melcom headed to a blind with his bow and Shaun took the rest of us to a cattle farm about a half hour drive away on the Botswana border in search of big Kudu and Warthog. It is cold and clear today and not long into the hunt Shaun spots a nice Warthog sunning by a hole. We turned around and motored by slowly and with a single shot from the 300 RUM and he was down. After the photo session we carried on and saw several groups of Kudu, and the random Steenbok and Duiker. Shaun said “look ahead there is a bunch of Baboon”. Grant readied the rifle and we eased ahead slowly but the group started to scatter. Shaun said “there is a big male on the right” a big male had climbed up on a downed tree and Grant dropped him with one shot.

The wind started to pick up and we made our way to a part of the ranch with thicker bush as Shaun said the Kudu will not stay out in the open in this wind. About an hour later we came upon a group of 9 cows and 3 bulls the best one being about 52” but not very heavy horned and small bodied. As we motored through the bush slowly we saw more Steenbok and the occasional Kudu standing and sunning. Coming up a long cattle fence a Kudu was spotted way up the fenceline, at least a half mile. We closed the gap and Shaun finally stopped the car to glass the bulls. There was a bull that was impressive, I ranged him at 666 yards and he was casually feeding so had no idea we were there. He was big bodied, wide and with excellent mass. Shaun said “lets go after him”. We got off the landcruiser and crossed the cattle fence to get the wind right and started our approach. After we walked a few minutes Shaun stopped to glass and said “there he is, do you want to look at him with your binoculars?” I said “no, lets see if we can get a shot”. Shaun set the sticks and said he’s about 200 yards. I eased in to position and said “ the one on the left?” He said yes and I got on the sticks. The bull was quartering towards us feeding in the shade of a Camelthorn. I settled in and looked at his shoulder so came forward to the point of shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I could see the bull jump in the scope so I knew it was a good hit. I reloaded and got back on the sticks and followed the bull as he ran into the trees. He stopped behind some brush and I could see his horns glistening in the sun. Just as I said “I can see him standing behind the bush” he rolled over. We approached the bull slowly to observe the bull and we saw him take his last breath.

A magnificent old bull, the largest I have taken to date and I am very honored to have collected him. Shaun’s father brought the vehicle close and we took pictures and loaded the bull.

On the way back to camp Grant shot a Warthog sow on the request of the owner as he wanted one for the pot. The winds picked up and it became quite blustery. Apparently another cold front is coming and temperatures are forecasted to go below freezing in the next two days. We got back to camp about 2 for a late lunch and it was decided we would forgo the evening drive as the winds are terrible.

After a midday cigar and whiskey while sitting in the sun I was down for a nap. A great day of hunting and a chance to relax, what a welcomed luxury.

0CB0245D-03ED-415A-B25C-568BD8D14CE7.jpeg
E857F9FF-3C15-4380-94A6-3D338ADA4160.jpeg
D3D73F0D-107D-4A89-A6A5-0DB53864FE98.jpeg

Day 9

The cold front obviously arrived in the night as there was a frost on the ground this morning as I walk to the dining room. The rooms are very comfortable with split system AC/heat units so we slept well.

After quick breakfast we were in the field by 8 o’clock. We drove for a while and dropped off Parker Tavi and Melcom where they would take a stroll into the wind with the 338 and see what they could find.
As the cold wind picked up we saw quite a bit of game standing and sunning themselves to warm up. Good numbers of Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbok and Eland.
We drove about trying to locate Golden Wildebeast for Debra without success. Around 1030 Tavi Radio for Shaun to pick them up and take them to another area. While driving we spotted a herd of Black Wildebeast so they hopped off and went in pursuit.
We hung out there for a while and not 15 minutes later we heard a shot and the report of a hit. A little later and Tavi radioed that the bull was hit but still on his feet. Once we arrived to where they were standing, we reviewed the video footage with Melcom and you could see the bull was hit a little low and a little back.

They carried on in pursuit but could not get within range of the herd so back on the vehicle they were and we made our way around to the direction the Wildebeast were heading.

After a couple of hours of driving around and not being successful we decided to go in for lunch give him a chance to settle down and go back out again in the afternoon.

Out again about 1:30 and it took us the better part of an hour and a half to find the herd. When we did they were in some heavy cover and you could see that our bull was still up in with them as there was a consistent blood trail.

Parker and Tavi took off on the trail with Peter the tracker taking the lead. We took the vehicle around to the opposite side of the block to see if the herd flushed out while Parker was in pursuit.

As we waited Sean radioed Deon to check the vlei and see if the Wildebeest by chance were back there. Sure enough, they were there! Not sure how they slipped by us but they did.

Shaun took off with Grant and I in the back I was spotting and Grant was shooting. Tavi, Parker and Melcom were at the other side of the property making their way towards us. It wasn’t long we were on the herd and our wounded bull identified.
While in pursuit, he split from the main herd and we stayed on him. Grant was able to get a shot as the bull was running away but it was not fatal.

We caught up to him again, then Grant was able to get another shot off dropping the bull in his tracks.

I asked Grant where you were aiming, and he said “I was aiming for his head as he ran away” and that’s where the shot landed. The bull drop instantly with an entry when I’m just behind the right ear and exit it just above the left eye.
We were all glad to close the chapter on this one, Black Wildebeast are renowned for being a tough animal, especially when foul shot.

We got our photos as the sun was setting on another great day in the bush. I feel very blessed to have this time with my family in such a beautiful place. These are moments I will cherish forever.
ADCD95EC-B575-4ABF-9A4F-64AF27B7AE13.jpeg

Still killing it !

Sorry for the silence, I have not had good internet access so here we go;

Day 10

Winter is here in full force, the wind not as bad today but very cold. Parker and team will head off to a blind in hopes of seeing a White Blesbok. Debra, Grant and I waited around a bit for the day to warm up and we went off in search of White Blesbok and Golden Wildebeast. The game was not moving about much but as the day warmed we began to see more game. Tavi radioed Shaun they had seen nothing so we headed back to camp after twelve for lunch and we all met up and made a plan over a nice meal.

We will go out together this afternoon in search of White Blesbok and both boys will use a rifle. The wind picked up a bit but we headed out at 3:30 and started the hunt. As the day ticked on the wind fortunately started to die down and we ran onto a group of Blesbok that had a nice White bull. Grant was up so he, Tavi and Melcom took off in pursuit while the rest of us stayed with the cruiser.

About ten minutes later we heard a shot from the RUM and the report of from the hit so we knew Grant had his bull. All of the sudden Grant came running back to the truck and we didn't know what was going on. When he got in earshot he said "come on Parker there is another good bull and they haven't gone far". Parker took off with Grant and about fifteen minutes later we heard the shot and report. Tavi radioed Shaun for us to drive up and there, three hundred yards apart were the two bulls. Two excellent trophies, Grants 17 1/2" and Parkers 17 1/14".

We set up for pictures in the setting African sun and enjoyed the blessings of the day. Back at camp we gathered by the fire for drinks and stories, reliving the moments of the Safari. Another great day in the Kalahari.
8A4CCD35-F5D3-43AF-899A-2F6A472B151F.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 11

The plan was to leave camp early and drive to another property that was known to have some exceptional Kudu.

It was very cold this morning and with dense cloud cover so the Kudu were hunkered down in the Bush.

We spotted other game such as Blesbok, Springbok and Eland along with a few Kudu cows.

The clouds started to break up and around 11:45 we stopped for some brunch then got back out a little before one. As the sun shown down more and more Kudu started to appear. The best bull we found was about 52” and still young.

As the sun was setting on another day, we did not find that monster bull but had a wonderful day hunting and enjoying just being in Africa again.

Parker came up empty on Warthog and Steenbok so another day was in the bag.

Last edited:
Day 12

Our last day we would go in search of Golden Wildebeast for Debra. It was cold but not as windy as yesterday. We drove around the property and spotted a Golden Bull with a Blue Bull but they gave us the slip.

By noontime Shaun recommended we leave them and go have some lunch then try again in the afternoon.

Out again by 2, it took a couple of hours to find the Golden Bull. As the sun dipped into the horizon Tavi, Peter, Debra and Parker as gunbearer with Melcom behind set out on the tracks.

Grant and I hung back with Shaun and about twenty minutes later heard a shot. There was no report of a hit and after a few minutes Tavi radioed and said they had reviewed the footage and the bullet
struck a branch before reaching the Wildebeast. They followed the tracks for a couple hundred meters and there was no blood.

Back on the vehicle to try and cut their tracks again the minutes were ticking away as sunlight faded.
Once the sun was below the horizon the temperature dipped dramatically and we made our way to camp.

Everyone gathered by the fire to warm up and we closed out our Safari with another great meal.

I want to thank Shaun Keeny and Tavi Fragoso and their team of cooks, staff, trackers and skinners for a great Safari in the Kalahari. A very beautiful (but cold) part of South Africa I feel blessed to have hunted. Shaun and his father Ray are great people and I greatly enjoyed our time with them. I also want to thank Shaun for his generous donation to the Austin Chapter of SCI which brought us to hunt with him.

Without hesitation I can highly recommend Shaun for both rifle and bow hunting as he is well prepared for both. The quality of the game was excellent and abundant.

Thank you for the exciting report. I am glad you and your family had such a great adventure!

Great family hunt, what a grand time. Enjoyed the report, congratulations to all.

Great hunt. Love that kudu bull. Congrats on a great hunting trip.
Bruce

Thank you for the report. I always love reading about your family adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!