SOUTH AFRICA: Rhinoster Hoek Safaris With My Son

Gorgeous country!

Gorgeous country!

Warren's place is truly special. It reminds me of West Texas in ways.

It's one of those places where you'll never forget just because of the land you see and the animals are just a bonus on top of that.

couple more pics of the area

Looking at the mountain never got old, maybe next trip might need to visit the caves up there

Attachments

• IMG_0777_zpspoame71a.jpg
    IMG_0777_zpspoame71a.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0783_zpshj12z3tf.jpg
    IMG_0783_zpshj12z3tf.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0785_zpstaur3jyg.jpg
    IMG_0785_zpstaur3jyg.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
Hunted there a year ago in early June, saw that one horned bull...he was very good, too bad only one horn. photos bring back lots of memories. wish I had thought of the rocks in the shoes....MMMMM.(y)

Dobber, looks like you and your son had a great hunt. The best part is that now he will be wanting to go back and do it again. Without a doubt, it will be easier for him to "sell" the idea of a return hunt to your wife. Where you might get a questioning glance and an Oh? He will hear, "gee," that sounds like a great idea

Seems like you guys enjoyed yourselves, thanks for sharing !

Almost finished this report, work somehow keeps getting in the way of relaxing long enough to finish. Here are a few pictures of the camp, as i noted this is an early 1800's homestead, but had everything to cover our needs

apparently i missed taking one of the large living room area and some of the outside, might have to check with the kid and see what he has for pics, even the dozer out front looks like it belongs, well kept property

Attachments

• 20170428_144912_zpsg9xcx4im.jpg
    20170428_144912_zpsg9xcx4im.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20170428_144926_zpspltnx6dr.jpg
    20170428_144926_zpspltnx6dr.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20170428_144949_zpseobk5txk.jpg
    20170428_144949_zpseobk5txk.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20170428_145045_zpsglppdszd.jpg
    20170428_145045_zpsglppdszd.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170428_145059_zpszgjewlh9.jpg
    20170428_145059_zpszgjewlh9.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 123
We decided one late afternoon to walk up a drainage ditch, which started out knee high, maybe a bit of a hunch to slowly stalk onwards, but the area we were going was to watch a side hill about a mile up. As we started the clouds were getting darker and we heard the rain before we saw it, torrential downpour that lasted only minutes, all we could do was stand there and look at each other thinking well this isn't as much fun as how i will remember it years from now. The closer we got to where we were going to sit and watch, the deeper the drainage ditch became, gorge came to mind at one point. We got around a corner and both got the scare of our lives (well maybe more me than Warren) but apparently we awoke an owl and it flew out of its hiding spot straight at us head high and it dumped about a quart of shit as it went overhead, we were able to dodge the potential shit storm but had to sit and laugh for a minute before heading on

After all we went through, the downpour, the owl bombardment and the slick walking we finally got to a good vantage point and due to the weather change we had one more obstacle to overcome before dark came

The fog rolled in quickly lol, it rolled on out not quite as quick as it came in and we did see a few kudu's but none that were on the target list - Just another great day though, and the weather just adds to the memories

Attachments

• image1_zps5w3iczvf.jpeg
    image1_zps5w3iczvf.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image2_zpsbqpyl3th.jpeg
    image2_zpsbqpyl3th.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image3_zpsvv4wplcl.jpeg
    image3_zpsvv4wplcl.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 114
Finally got a chance to finish up, sheesh i need to work on time management a bit better

I had words with Warren and wanted my son to shoot a respectable Kudu, wasn't on the cull list, but worked out a good deal. The one thing i will say i did miss was hunting with my son more, but then again he is becoming a well adjusted young man, and based on me being me the odds weren't in his favor

Jeanne looked after Mike aka the kid, and couldn't have been happier that he was having such a good time

The last morning we were thinking about going out for one last walk, but the weather wasn't real nice so a bit of a sleep in, had to leave by 11am so not a whole lot of time, but i was willing. We sat had coffee, enjoyed some down time and discussed a future trip. This time with the wife in tow. Send the wimmin folk off to Cape Town and drive the roads looking at wine and trinkets while i casually toss small stones in someones boots to slow them down while hiking up them hills.
Want to check out some of the caves on that ever present back ground mountain, heck who knows there might some critter worth shooting up by the W (insert subtle hint here)

Great family, great times and great friendship, looking forward to planning 2018

Attachments

• IMG_0419_zpsk1jiqoiu.jpg
    IMG_0419_zpsk1jiqoiu.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 109
Very nice report and look like you both had some good fun.

Good stuff, thanks sir!

Ian, it was great to have you and Mike with us.

A few memories made:

A countdown clock appearing on my phone

A photo sent to me of Mike enjoying a snack, my wife saying ‘Oh S**t’ and sending me back into the grocery store.

The first day, after you guys arrived and unpacked, after the shooting range, the young uns deciding we must still go hunting. I was impressed with the Detroit Cammo.

Mike obeying the order to empty the pots, although he battled sometimes.

Dodging the rain, standing under the trees to escape the downpour, or just standing in the open waiting for it to go past.

Taking a smoke break and having to empty my boots.

Remember, sending the Ladies down to Cape Town, needs a tough credit card that doesn’t say ouch.

We will climb that little mountain!

Till 2018

Warren Belinda and Family

20170505_091959.jpg
IMG-20170504-WA0004.jpeg
20170503_115814.jpg

Most of this report came through while I was there, following in your rock filled shoes... well Warren's rock filled shoes.
Wonderful report.
Randy

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

LOL that last picture, walking up that steep ridge enjoying the time while you took a picture of a shroom on a turd

Enjoyed your report as well HuntingGold

Warren i will bring 2 cards with me, one for the wife with a $500 limit and mine with a bit more to keep her in check

Congrats on the great hunting! Love that country!

Started off another day with uphill climbing, got about a half hour into the hike and here comes the rain, so we sat under some tree's while we waited for it to pass. After about 15 min we were off again and after a short spell the tracker pointed out a duiker walking at the top of a rocky opening heading our way. Up with the sticks and we had issues, up to this point we had been using short sticks, this was the first long stick attempt and the sticks didn't like me too much. Every time i set them they would drop my line of site to a bush, so a few quick adjustments and had it settled. Shot was about 100 yards, but later when i tell the story it will be more than likely 250.

Breathing settled and dialed in, that duiker didn't know what hit her. My son (who's pictures i will post whenever i figure out how to load them from the files he sent me) had taken a picture of his duiker with him sitting a bit behind it making it look much larger than it is. Well not to be outdone we took a couple of normal pics and then one of me sitting just behind my horned female duiker.

Chris the tracker packed up my duiker and headed to the truck, while Warren and myself went further up the hill.

Finally after some good hiking we came towards one of the roads in a valley and off runs another duiker but he only scoots behind some brush so i was able to move over and get a shot on him. Made for some good pictures with both animals.
I will say though that where we set the ram up i didn't realize the plan was for me to be somewhat submerged into a large hole in the ground, did joke about that snake noodling video posted a while back

@dobber
You is one funny story teller I'm enjoying every bit of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg