SOUTH AFRICA: Returned From My Hunt

dargo

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I booked a trip for my 16 year old son and I through EAI Sports (Ed Rymut). Ed is the booking agent that I used in the states for a hunt with Kubusi Safari in South Africa. While I was researching the trip I couldn't find a lot of information on the agent or the outfitter so I wanted to provide some information for the next person who is looking for information. There were three priority things I was looking for in the hunt and three lesser, but important things I wanted. First, I wanted a far chase open hunt. Second, I wanted quality mature animals (specifically: kudu, impala, gemsbok, blesbok, and wildebeest.) Third, I wanted a great experience for my son and I to have together. The other important items were cost, comfort, and the ability to both gun and bow hunt.
I met Ed at an outdoor show and was sold on the fact that I could pretty much tailor the hunt as I wanted and the cost of the hunt included myself and my son at the same cost. There was no increase in cost to have my son hunt with me. It didn't matter who shot the animals the package was the same cost. This was the only family plan I found. We hunted 6 days and harvested exactly what we each wanted. Kubusi Safari is a great outfitter for the hunter that wants to take quality animals. Our PH was Ricky Brown. He asked me what and how I wanted to hunt and he did not vary from my expectations. We hunted hard and passed many animals waiting for the quality I wanted. We hunted 6 different farms and had a huge variety of terrain and vegetation.
We used a 270 Win. rifle with 130 gr Federal Sierra Gameking BTSP and a Bowtech Tribute bow 70# with swhacker 100 gr mechanicals. The blesbok was killed at 45 yards with the bow. It ran 200 yards. The Gemsbok, Impala, and Wildebeest were each taken with one shot, each never taking another step. The Kudu was a 300+ yard shot. He ran about 50 yards and laid down. He was then finished with a close range finishing bullet. I mention this to let you know that the 270 for us was the perfect choice and performed wonderfully.

Pros: PH was great (Ricky Brown). Animals were tremendous. Real hunting. Bow or Rifle. My son and I had a blast
Cons: food was not very good, there was no heat in the huts (temps in low 30 F), 3 nights had no hot water,

Advice: Carry your own gun. You need to be comfortable shooting the gun and know your ballistics, use Henry Rifle Permit service at Jburg airport, carry lots of snacks (especially if you're hunting with a 16 year old boy). If you drink liquor, ask your PH to stop by a store on the way to camp, because although the brochures say they provide it, they don't. If you're a bow hunter take a bunch of thick socks and maybe a cheap pair of crocs. You may me sneaking through brush in sock feet. It works!

Lastly, we had a tremendous father / son experience and can tell many stories for a long time about hunting in Africa.

photo 3.JPG
photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't get any better than hunting with your son.

Thanks for the story and photos.

All the best.

Congrats on your hunt, Dargo, nice trophies and an unforgettable experience with your son !

Thanks for sharing.

The smiles speak a thousand words, great job to you and your son!

The smiles do say it all.
Glad the outfitter was accommodating you family hunt.

Thanks for sharing a report for the next guy. That is a good part of what it is all about.

Congrats.

Thanks for the report I leave in 24 days with my son to Kubusi. Did chalets not have fireplace, why no heat? Yea I went to Namibia a few years back after a long day I want to drink a few beers or soda seemed like you had to beg for anything to drink but definitely a stop at the store. Yea I'm not much on Ed. Paid deposit answered questions usually within 24 hours sent full payment in 90 days out and all communications have pretty much been 0, kind of skeptical emailed James he pretty much said Ed was a busy man BS. Somebody's paying me 10K I will be a little more attentive. He pretty much blew me off at SCI told the man there I was already booked I could talk to him later after I flew in just to speak face to face.
Congrats glad you made some awesome memories with your son.

A proud dad and a happy son. Makes for memories that will last a very long time! Congrats

I hunted Glen Boyd and Kubusi.

-Local wine (great stuff) and beer provided self serve and in abundance
-None of the cabins I stayed in were heated but Glen Boyd had hot water all the time, Kubusi only in the evening. I went early May so the weather was fantastic 10C at night 17-22C day
-Ed takes about 24 hrs to respond to email, James very rapidly via text, never had issues contacting either

Thanks for the report I leave in 24 days with my son to Kubusi. Did chalets not have fireplace, why no heat? Yea I went to Namibia a few years back after a long day I want to drink a few beers or soda seemed like you had to beg for anything to drink but definitely a stop at the store. Yea I'm not much on Ed. Paid deposit answered questions usually within 24 hours sent full payment in 90 days out and all communications have pretty much been 0, kind of skeptical emailed James he pretty much said Ed was a busy man BS. Somebody's paying me 10K I will be a little more attentive. He pretty much blew me off at SCI told the man there I was already booked I could talk to him later after I flew in just to speak face to face.
Congrats glad you made some awesome memories with your son.

Congrads on your father and son hunt, unfortunately I could not bring mine, he can't get time off work

Badboy124 sounds like you got the short end of the deal. I'm with you $10k says I should get to talk with you if I want!

I'm just thankful I came across this forum when I did the nice people on here and Kubusi has a facebook page I have actually had most of my questions answered through them. Even have talked with PH's wife via internet as well which has helped too.

love the grins on both you and the boys faces , a sign of clossness
thanks for sharing your memories with us .

Glen Boyd did not have fire places. Kubusi did, but no wood the first night. I'm not sure about why no hot water, I actually walked across the camp and showered in another cabin one night. Not bashing on Kubusi at all. We went to South Africa to hunt and had an exceptional hunting experience, thanks mostly to our PH. But, I think people need to know what to expect. I had contemplated taking my wife on the trip as well. That would have been a big mistake. She is tough, but is cold natured and is a picky eater. She would have been miserable. I never talked with James (owner of Kubusi), but I have heard good things about him. Glen Boyd is a great ranch roughly 17,000 acres. (White rhinos feed in the pastures right in front of the cabins.) The variety and quality of animals is incredible. We didn't actually hunt the Kubusi farm, just stayed there three nights in the camp.

Congrats to both you and your son those are some fine trophies and that Impala is awesome! Thanks for sharing your hunt and pics.

Glen Boyd did not have fire places. Kubusi did, but no wood the first night. I'm not sure about why no hot water, I actually walked across the camp and showered in another cabin one night. Not bashing on Kubusi at all. We went to South Africa to hunt and had an exceptional hunting experience, thanks mostly to our PH. But, I think people need to know what to expect. I had contemplated taking my wife on the trip as well. That would have been a big mistake. She is tough, but is cold natured and is a picky eater. She would have been miserable. I never talked with James (owner of Kubusi), but I have heard good things about him. Glen Boyd is a great ranch roughly 17,000 acres. (White rhinos feed in the pastures right in front of the cabins.) The variety and quality of animals is incredible. We didn't actually hunt the Kubusi farm, just stayed there three nights in the camp.
We are going for 10 days they said we would stay at Kubusi then at Glen Boyd so only 1 move guess priority is firewood for evenings. I tried to get my wife to go but being winter she would also be miserable. I have asked James many questions and he is very quick to respond kind of funny I wrote james lengthly email of Ed's short comings and received email from Ed within 12 hrs but that was short lived sent him 2 more emails no answer that was over 2 weeks ago. I needed outfitter invite to submit permits with Henry had to get it from client that had just returned as I was short on time to turn in.

Hot water at Kubusi is divided into solar (always available but low pressure) and the donkey (quaint wood fired boiler). I needed a shower before leaving for the airport and did what you did.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 196

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg