SOUTH AFRICA: Postoak - Limpopo - 2021 - Trip Report Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS & DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS

Shooting a rhino in RSA requires paperwork and also requires a game biologist on scene to drill into the horns and take a DNA sample. They weren't with us so our group had to walk back out and meet them (there were two) and take them back to the rhino. This we did and the rhino was standing more or less where we had left him. Now I went from being a bystander to one of the two central players. Dave had to come up with a plan to get a shot on the animal and it wasn't going to be easy.

We got to about 80 meters broadside and went on sticks, hoping he would move forward slightly. After 15 minutes like this with no change, Dave decided to move us forward another 20 meters, which we did and stayed like that on sticks for another 5 minutes.

Next he moved us slightly to the right and 20 more meters closer. Rhino don't have very good vision and he was unconcerned with all this movement, although we were creeping more than moving.

Finally, I was shown the shot I had and damned if it didn't look like the one I had had on the eland a few days earlier. The one I had sworn never to take again!

After much studying of what was what on the animal I became convinced that I could discern the bare shoulder. He was quartering slightly toward Dave and me. I took a steady aim on the shoulder and about a third of the way up and slowly pressed the trigger. People say you don't remember recoil in these situations, but I distinctly did. At the shot the rhino took off at a run. He went about 100 meters, curving slightly to the right, then stopped (still in obscuring brush). After a few seconds he laid down with his head up. After a few more seconds he laid his head down, and after a few more seconds he laid on his side and expired.

I had made just the shot I wanted and the Hornady DGX performed well -- lodging itself just under the skin on the opposite side. I fired a finishing shot upward between his legs which stopped in his spine.

IMG_0323.JPG

He measured 10.5 inches rear horn and 22 3/4 front horn.

The next morning, we headed out to the third property, Atherstone, which is about 30 minutes away. It's about 54,000 acres. This is where the bush was 8 feet tall and thick. We saw a few animals, including elephant but I thought the chances of getting anything were slim. Also gusting winds were picking up and I always find these to be disorienting.

Around lunch, across a large watering hole we saw a *really* nice warthog but I wasn't really in the mood, or something, and wasn't sure of the shot, so I passed on it. I'll leave him to someone who will appreciate him more.

To be honest the cold winds made me ready to return to the lodge and I was relieved when Dave suggested we do that.

The next morning was overcast and even windier. The winds were making a racket even inside the heavy masonry building I was sleeping in.

I got up early and announced to everyone we should just take the day off. I was getting tired of hunting, was homesick, and really didn't think we had much of a chance at getting anything. So after eating breakfast we all disappeared until lunch time.

By late afternoon, however, I was ready for a little ride-around. We did that and saw some nice buffalo but called it a day, hoping for better weather the next day.

The next day the weather was still crappy, but getting better. We rode around some, went to the back of the property and looked across at Botswana, and came across a juvenile zebra in distress. Karl said he had seen its herd exclude it a couple of days later. Now it had made its way to water and fell in and couldn't get out. Karl took off his shoes and socks waded in and helped it out and we set it on its stomach but it just couldn't stand. By the next morning it was dead.

IMG_0344.JPG

That night we met Dave's next client. Again, I didn't catch a last name. He was just Dave to me and was from Athens, Georgia. He was also in for a rhino. He said he posted occasionally here so maybe he'll chime in.

IMG_0378.JPG

So, down to the final day, the wind had finally dropped off and things looked encouraging. We decided to head over to the property where I had shot the rhino. There were a number of small family groups of waterbuck there and after two unsuccessful stalks we made good. This shot was at 35 meters.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

The last day, since my flight out of JNB was at 9 PM, I was offered a chance at blesbuck but I was done. Thirteen days hunting is a long time. Ironically, on the trip back we stopped at a restaurant, driving range, and "mashie course" and their "thing" was a herd of blesbuck.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Some random photos I may have already posted.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

.300 180 grain TTSX from the roan, The .416 400 DGX from the rhino.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Dave Freeburn has some huge, healthy buffalo bulls on his place. They were full of piss and vinegar too. But they won't be an easy hunt.

Magnificent Rhino, mind-blowing, congratulations and a great report so far

Thanks for the report. Heading to Atherton with Dave in mid September for those buffalo
Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!