South Africa Plains Game, Packaged Hunt Vs. A La Carte??

I hope your hunt went great! Lots of good advice here.

""Concession" became a dirty word for me."

All this talk of "concessions" in South Africa is very strange. You are not hunting on "concessions" you are hunting on Farms and Ranches. With a very few exceptions this is hunting on private land. I have no problem at all with this but it is what it is.

Howdy JTEX,

I often refer to large tracts of land where hunting rights are leased by a Safari Company as a "concession" but, I never meant to offend you with it.

In my own defense to the charge of using what amounts to a "dirty word" as you put it, El Dictionario shows many definitions for "Concession, and among them are:

"Lease of a property for a specific purpose, usually to turn a profit."

"The right to do business on property belonging to a Government or belonging to a private person/s."

If that's still a little foggy for ya, take a minute and have a look at the web site:
africahuntlodge.com

Perhaps all this talk of South African hunting concessions is not so strange after all.

All my best,
Velo Dog.

I hope your hunt went great! Lots of good advice here.

""Concession" became a dirty word for me."

All this talk of "concessions" in South Africa is very strange. You are not hunting on "concessions" you are hunting on Farms and Ranches. With a very few exceptions this is hunting on private land. I have no problem at all with this but it is what it is.

I agree for the most part one doesn't hunt a concession or even "free range" in South Africa. I, like many folks on this forum, have not done enough of this sort of thing to use the correct terms always. While I have spent well over six months on the continent both in cities and in the bush in a few different countries over the years I never enjoyed it like I did when hunting in South Africa. I would love to hunt some of the countries I've been in but they're either closed or well beyond my budget. So I'll likely go to South Africa again as many times as we can afford it. We'll be careful to pick the place we go and who we hunt with as mentioned by many others above to make sure they offer the sort of experience we're looking for. For me hunting a bushbuck in the riparian area of a property that encompasses 40 square miles is a reasonable challenge. A little smaller than the area I hunt here but I average 10 days to kill an elk here and have only gotten 14 of them over the last 22 years. In South Africa I shot 5 animals in 10 days and had an incredible time. Semantics not withstanding.

Howdy JTEX,

I often refer to large tracts of land where hunting rights are leased by a Safari Company as a "concession" but, I never meant to offend you with it.

In my own defense to the charge of using what amounts to a "dirty word" as you put it, El Dictionario shows many definitions for "Concession, and among them are:

"Lease of a property for a specific purpose, usually to turn a profit."

"The right to do business on property belonging to a Government or belonging to a private person/s."

If that's still a little foggy for ya, take a minute and have a look at the web site:
africahuntlodge.com

Perhaps all this talk of South African hunting concessions is not so strange after all.

All my best,
Velo Dog.

Doesn't offend me in the least......... the Concession is a dirty word part was a quote from another poster.......... And thanks for the dictionary lesson, Spanish too! Do you hunt on "concessions" in the states? Or ranches, farms or leases? Maybe Gov't land.......or is that Gov't land now Gov't "concessions"?

Or does it just make it sound "wilder" when you use it for South Africa?

I have nothing against SA hunting, some of the best hunts I have had have been in SA and I will hunt there some more.

Heck I'm from Texas....we have as much fencing as South Africa, smaller parcels too, on average.

But I haven't hunted on any "concessions" nor have I worn a pith helmet and sadly...... I lost my faux Leopard skin hatband.

Yep it's strange.........borderline misleading. But if you like the term you are most certainly free to use it.

Best back at ya' Pard,

Jim

waiting on the hunting report.

Package hunts are usualy the best deal in my experience ecept when you don't have opportuntity at all the game in package. I went on a bowhunt to EC on a 5 specie package and ony had one chance at a animal on package and it was a warthog sow. I also tooka red hartabeest that they let me exchage for a blue wildbeest, but the other animals I never got.

Doesn't offend me in the least......... the Concession is a dirty word part was a quote from another poster.......... And thanks for the dictionary lesson, Spanish too! Do you hunt on "concessions" in the states? Or ranches, farms or leases? Maybe Gov't land.......or is that Gov't land now Gov't "concessions"?

Or does it just make it sound "wilder" when you use it for South Africa?

I have nothing against SA hunting, some of the best hunts I have had have been in SA and I will hunt there some more.

Heck I'm from Texas....we have as much fencing as South Africa, smaller parcels too, on average.

But I haven't hunted on any "concessions" nor have I worn a pith helmet and sadly...... I lost my faux Leopard skin hatband.

Yep it's strange.........borderline misleading. But if you like the term you are most certainly free to use it.

Best back at ya' Pard,

Jim

Howdy again Jim,

Despite your saying otherwise, clearly you are offended.

For that I apologize and I apologize to Big Country as well, for ripping off his original thread, with my dictionary, etc. wisecracks.

Regarding our short exchange, I'm beginning to feel like the character, "King Arthur", in that 1970's Monty Python movie called something like; "The Search For The Holy Grail", when he was confronted by "The Knights Who Say Ni".

Therefore, I quit / you win or whatever.

If you ever happen to be in Anchorage someday, look me up and I will buy you lunch.

Keep your powder dry,
Paul.

I wasn't competing. Quitting is most likely the best idea though.

Apologies from me as well.

Same for you if you make South East Texas.

I'll "try" to keep my powder dry, you don't freeze or get 'et by a bear or anything,

Jim

I wasn't competing. Quitting is most likely the best idea though.

Apologies from me as well.

Same for you if you make South East Texas.

I'll "try" to keep my powder dry, you don't freeze or get 'et by a bear or anything,

Jim

Thanks, sounds like a plan.
Have only seen Texas, on the ground in two Airports and from the air, through the plane windows.
But much of it looked like excellent geography for hunting and fishing - my kinda place.

Kind regards,
Paul.

Being a total rookie at this, I decided to do both...10 day package with 6 animals, with hopefully enough time for some catch-as-catch can hunting along the way. Just need to make sure I wire plenty of money ahead so my trigger finger doesn't overload my "bank account"!

I think this is a great idea, especially for a first trip, maybe even a second. Take the package plus some cash for extra animals. You my not even know what you want until you get there.

This is a huge subject i must say and i would agree with a lot of people.
BUT one point stands out big wild spaces this is definitely what i could advise and recommend.

Shot Shot

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg