SOUTH AFRICA: Pawprint Safaris Sable & Crocodile Hunt

Congrats on some super trophies !! What were the ponds originally made for ? Were they just made for croc habitat?
Good question. The ponds were designed to hold run-off and water the game. The only food the Crocs get is what comes to water.

Today was another fine day except very windy. We went to another savanna area with unbelievable numbers, for example maybe 200 Black Wildebeest. So guess what was on my list? Yep a Black Wildebeest. Ranged at 171 yards, Johan says the one on the far right looking at us. Find the middle centered on the shoulder. Yeah right! Have you ever seen any Wildebeest stand still? Well he quartered to our direction while my finger was on the trigger. I may have pulled it rather than squeeze because I felt I had so little time. BAM! The beest lurches and takes off along with the group. He runs ahead of the others like nothing happened. He makes a small circle and flop maybe 100yds from the shot. My Black Wildebeest...”clown of the plains”...is down!
EE388EAF-46BA-4CBE-8872-9BA3D10258F0.jpeg

This place could have been in Wyoming, wind, sun, plains, only not quite as cold.
Now what do I do...oh those stinking jackals of course! We’ll try again tonight!

Thanks everyone for watching!

WOW, congratulations sir, those are some fine trophies. Thank you for your report and taking us along your hunt. Well done!!!

View attachment 228552 Sorry I had to leave for the evening hunt. But, at 10:15 this morning I got
This 41” Sable! Stalking, Max found tracks and we followed them up. Got on the sticks maybe 4 times before I pulled the trigger. I had to shoot a little far back because all the front leg was covered by brush. The sable didn’t run, but hunched and walked maybe ten steps. I readied for a second shot. Crosshairs lined up. He fell over! My sable was down!
What magnificently beautiful animals! I had to just stare at it for a few minutes it was so handsome! Overed in ticks, but the ears were perfect! Nice!

Then we looked for a good warthog, but nothing really I wanted. Had a sack lunch under an interesting looking tree (their interesting when I have no clue what they are). It was warming up, so we headed back to let Max butcher the sable and get him cooled down.
Very nice Sable! Congratulations!

We headed out to a Big Five area for something I like to show up. Saw lots of blue Wildebeest, impala, girrafe, kudu and buffalo (some VERY fine ones!) we bumped around for a while when some Eland showed up 200-300 yards off. We studied them a while, then Johan suggested the lead bull...and what did I say? Well if you insist...NOT! OK let’s go! So moved a ways. The cows finally cleared. The bull quartered toward us. Johan said to aim at the right shoulder and toward the center...BANG! She’ll game on! After the recoil, I thought it went left! Johan said this way. I followed thing we were going to work it upwing. We topped the hill (me huffing and puffing!) and Max points just over the there. Johan turns and congratulates me...I haven’t seen it yet! We walk up and Holley shemoley! They are HUGE! I don’t mean really big, I mean HUGE!
View attachment 228558 View attachment 228559

What a day! Unfortunately I cannot hunt my croc until Monday! We’ll see what I will HAVE to hunt tomorrow! Wine time! Later guys!
Very nice! What does it measure?

WOW, congratulations sir, those are some fine trophies. Thank you for your report and taking us along your hunt. Well done!!!
+1

Yesterday I talked Johan into just riding around the 4x4 roads on the Big 5 Askari concession. Only one thing I can say...it was AMAZING all the quality and variety of animals! If you are at PawPrints and get a day, or two to just relax, get someone to drive you around it. Don’t forget your camera!
I will download my pictures from my camera and tantalize you with a few, but for now we saw:
Impala, zebra, blesbok, kudu, hartebeest, Eland, warthogs, hippos, elephants, Cape buffalo, blue Wildebeest, gemsbuck, water buck, mountain reed buck, ostrich, giraffe and I’m sure something else.
5E4E4B32-4D12-4933-AEF4-2D58B3E33F97.jpeg
13F707BF-5527-484D-9362-BB08A49B8244.jpeg
C5E7207E-3AF2-4267-BE99-1B4D5D4A63CD.jpeg
F21FF30C-DC67-4E6A-AF08-98BB0442C221.jpeg
396617C5-688B-421F-A37C-6513744A0FEC.jpeg
176EE504-1B5B-461B-A945-2BD2D62F0E9A.jpeg
87210A52-75D0-4938-AFF0-07B01B4938B2.jpeg
58A48215-1203-46D5-BB49-373535E25102.jpeg
B95079D4-3043-46DC-84CF-C97591B1D0CF.jpeg
92138AA9-DFEC-4B23-9386-8F8790CD9534.jpeg

Attachments

• 13F707BF-5527-484D-9362-BB08A49B8244.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 300
  • C5E7207E-3AF2-4267-BE99-1B4D5D4A63CD.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 191
  • F21FF30C-DC67-4E6A-AF08-98BB0442C221.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 305
  • 87210A52-75D0-4938-AFF0-07B01B4938B2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 221
  • 58A48215-1203-46D5-BB49-373535E25102.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 322
  • B95079D4-3043-46DC-84CF-C97591B1D0CF.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:
Your having a heck of a hunt! Congrats!

Today may be my last hunting day. I’m running out of funds:cry:!

We saw an excellent warthog yesterday, but I didn’t have my rifle (Murphy’s law #1). So I wanted to return today and try for a good warthog. We left leisurely and picked up a guide at Askari who knew some of the good areas for warthog. We crawled and bounced around for several hours repeating the wildlife sightings from the previous day.
A couple of flashes of warthogs got us out and on stalks. The first I would have easily taken if I hadn’t already seen the quality of warthogs available there. Johan of course said we could do better, so I was happy to move on. The second stalk on a much nicer one the bugger just vanished into thin air.
We bounced along a while and as I dosed, Johan slammed on the brake killing the motor and quietly saying get out. He grabbed the sticks and we moved forward to a large group of nervous Wildebeest, zebra and a couple of others. This valley full of game looked like you read stories of old Africa hunting! Exciting!
I finally saw several warthogs, but not the big one. Johan set the sticks and pushed my barrel in the right direction. All I could see was a tree with tusks protruding from behind it. It was like the hog thought we wouldn’t know he was there if he hid behind the tree!
Johan was telling me to wait, wait, then the hog darted from behind the tree to behind some Wildebeest! You think this warthog had done this before! Again Johan encourages me to be patient and wait, wait.
The wildebeests begin to separate with about a 4-5’ gap. If only the hog moves that direction and pauses. I set my sights on that area.
He’s moving...wait. He moves into my shooting lane slightly quartering. Time! BAM! The earth moves as suddenly ther are animals running every direction! Where’s my hog?
Johan after a few minutes finally discovers some blood. Tiny specks! I thought I hit the heart area, but must have pulled it some. My heart sank.
Several stressful minutes passed as we searched for more blood. Finally we could see where it started blowing out both sides, but still very small droplets. I started going over the shot picture in my mind again and again. We were in deep brush now. Johan looks back at me encouraging me that we will find it.
Seconds get longer and longer. Johan looks back at me again and says there. My heart leaps as I move forward to find my fine trophy lasered at 131 yards from the shot!
I have my fine warthog thanks to the incredible skill oh my PH! These guys are amazing!
F7DCD7F9-A420-445D-8448-16142A37AED8.jpeg

34C4BC4B-0EAA-4919-9492-C9E71C57637B.jpeg

Ridgewalker, you wrapped up your hunt in fine style. I'm looking forward to more pics. once you get back home.

Nice Hog, It looks like he has lots of mass.

Excellent report ridge walker
Nice trophies all the way, but how much will power did it take to pass that buff? Thanks

Today may be my last hunting day. I’m running out of funds:cry:!

We saw an excellent warthog yesterday, but I didn’t have my rifle (Murphy’s law #1). So I wanted to return today and try for a good warthog. We left leisurely and picked up a guide at Askari who knew some of the good areas for warthog. We crawled and bounced around for several hours repeating the wildlife sightings from the previous day.
A couple of flashes of warthogs got us out and on stalks. The first I would have easily taken if I hadn’t already seen the quality of warthogs available there. Johan of course said we could do better, so I was happy to move on. The second stalk on a much nicer one the bugger just vanished into thin air.
We bounced along a while and as I dosed, Johan slammed on the brake killing the motor and quietly saying get out. He grabbed the sticks and we moved forward to a large group of nervous Wildebeest, zebra and a couple of others. This valley full of game looked like you read stories of old Africa hunting! Exciting!
I finally saw several warthogs, but not the big one. Johan set the sticks and pushed my barrel in the right direction. All I could see was a tree with tusks protruding from behind it. It was like the hog thought we wouldn’t know he was there if he hid behind the tree!
Johan was telling me to wait, wait, then the hog darted from behind the tree to behind some Wildebeest! You think this warthog had done this before! Again Johan encourages me to be patient and wait, wait.
The wildebeests begin to separate with about a 4-5’ gap. If only the hog moves that direction and pauses. I set my sights on that area.
He’s moving...wait. He moves into my shooting lane slightly quartering. Time! BAM! The earth moves as suddenly ther are animals running every direction! Where’s my hog?
Johan after a few minutes finally discovers some blood. Tiny specks! I thought I hit the heart area, but must have pulled it some. My heart sank.
Several stressful minutes passed as we searched for more blood. Finally we could see where it started blowing out both sides, but still very small droplets. I started going over the shot picture in my mind again and again. We were in deep brush now. Johan looks back at me encouraging me that we will find it.
Seconds get longer and longer. Johan looks back at me again and says there. My heart leaps as I move forward to find my fine trophy lasered at 131 yards from the shot!
I have my fine warthog thanks to the incredible skill oh my PH! These guys are amazing!
View attachment 229540
View attachment 229539
Darn! For some reason the wart hog photo won't open for me. Thanks for the report. I leave for Pawprint in about three weeks. I need someone to brand that buffalo for me with our old family brand - COX. I'm surprised at how thick the bush is.

NICE job. Great report. Can’t wait to hear all about it when you get home. Man you have me all pumped up for my hunt in a couple weeks.

Congrats, well done

Excellent report ridge walker
Nice trophies all the way, but how much will power did it take to pass that buff? Thanks
Oh yes! And Unfortunately Pieter told me he would take my gold teeth in trade for more game:LOL::ROFLMAO::eek:!
A buffalo at the Limpopo Bush Camp is awfully tempting!

That is as good a hunt as I have read about in a long time! Congrats. Pawprint continues to expand its great hunting areas.

You had a hell of a hunt! Congratulations! All are awesome animals! Sounds like that Croc never stood a chance!

Congrats on your trophies! Awesome sable and croc!

Really enjoyed your report. Thank you for sharing

Sadly I'm flying out this evening. I plan to write up the Limpopo Camp report while on the plane. Then I’ll upload it when I get home. I had an awesome time there and took lots of pictures, so you can see the camp and some of the terrain. Please check back in a couple of days.
Thanks!

P.S. I took one of my dream animals there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross