SOUTH AFRICA: Pawprint Kalahari Lion & Lioness Hunt

6832AF74-C274-4419-92C4-3D2DF300BA8E.jpeg
Cheers to all my
Good luck @Ridgewalker ! Sounds like a it is going to be a great hunt! Tell Johan "Hello" for me.
Hi Rick! Good to hear from you!! I also joined Africa Hunting. Now I also can participate in the conversations! I still enjoy looking at our hunting pics.

Happy Birthday and congratz on a very successful safari. Looks like you had a great time.
Thank you for sharing.
The next time I am in Denver visiting family, maybe we can get together for lunch?

The next time I am in Denver visiting family, maybe we can get together for lunch?

That would be very enjoyable! I live about 45 minutes north of Denver in Longmont.

Ridgewalker, that was a great way to turn 72. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Ridgewalker, that was a great way to turn 72. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Thank you Art and everyone for reading my little report. Sorry it couldn’t have been live, but no connection.
It was a fun time especially while Toby458 was along. We had some deep conversations such as “did you see the lion? He was right there! Holy shemoly!” Or “interesting seat out front!” “Hmmm...I guess who ever sits there is the bait!” Fun time!:ROFLMAO::D:LOL:

Heck of a birthday Phil, congratulations and thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

Did you check the hard case or was it a carry-on, any issues?

Thinking back, would you choose the 235 gr Barnes again?

Heck of a birthday Phil, congratulations and thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

Did you check the hard case or was it a carry-on, any issues?

Thinking back, would you choose the 235 gr Barnes again?

I checked the hard carry-on case, but in RSA and upon returning, TSA both pulled it to the oversized area and TSA opened and inspected it. Seemed odd.

As for the 235 gr. It opened and expanded perfectly except when I shot through brush. The short bullet changed directions when hitting limbs. For hunting when you need to shoot through brush, I believe a long bullet would have been more accurate going through the brush. Still it would need to expand fairly easily to dump as much energy as possible inside the lion. The NorthFork PP would have been a better choice I believe.

I wasn’t aware of how the hunt would take place, or I would have done differently. 1), Longer softer heavy bullets to shoot through brush. 2), understand the anatomy of a lion when laying down. Usually every illustration you see is standing. All three lions we shot were laying down, hiding in the brush. Waiting on us to come close.

Exciting hunt and I would be happy to do it again!

Phil, Amazing trip and amazing stories.
The youngest 72 year old gentleman I know

So true!

Glad you made it home safe, and congratulations again!

I was away and missed this report. Sounds like some good memories were made. Thx for sharing the story, pics and your thoughts.

I was away and missed this report. Sounds like some good memories were made. Thx for sharing the story, pics and your thoughts.
It is always a big adventure and great fun to hunt with Phillip and Toby!! They are great hunters!!!

Thanks for the compliment Johan! I appreciate you not saying anything about going deaf because of my muzzlebrake!o_O
I only hunt good because you have always gotten me in the right spot to take lots of fine game. It’s easy to only have to pull a trigger when you’re set up right.
My granddaughter is really excited to see your tent camp and family next year! She mentions it quite often. And...I’m excited to have a family member go to Africa with me!

We are excited to. Enjoy the preparation.

Ridgewalker

Thank you for all the hunting reports in Africa. I know I wrote a bit late, but I've also been on the forum for a few days. I read the stories with bated breath :). Congratulations on a great adventure and trophies. I can read such reports endlessly.
And of course the list with a description of what is useful in Africa is very helpful. Big thanks

Best regards .

After re-reading this report, it really makes me miss being able to go back this year even more! I was planning to go back around late August or early September. I sure hope we can all hunt next year!
I did the same thing. Re-read this report and am hoping next year is a go. Scheduled to be there for the whole month of September. Just had our drop moose hunt canceled yesterday. That sucked. Now it’s going to have to be another two years for that hunt. Good luck to everyone on any hunts they are still doing this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg