SOUTH AFRICA: Pawprint Kalahari Lion & Lioness Hunt

Ridgewalker, I hope your granddaughter is feeling better. You'll love Reitzdale Farm as I'm pretty sure that is where you're going. I was with Norfolk Shooter and Dabloobana in May for their hunts. I was after Buffalo and Sable. Eventually, I'll get around to writing my hunt report.
Hearing the Lions roar in the morning was a great experience. Beautiful lodge and great food.
Thanks so much for the info! I was bugging Norfolk Shooter to write it up so I could see pictures and have an idea what to expect, but I understand how it is working. You play hard when you play and work hard when you work.
Granddaughter isn’t doing well and on her birthday...bummer to feel bad!
Thanks again!

As usual, I follow the airline recommendations of getting here 3 hours before an international flight. Unbelievably smooth! I was the first in line at the check-in. The lady was quick at getting things done. No strange questions such as “where is your SAPS approval form”. Porter took me to the rifle check in where again I was the only one there! Flew through it. Now at the gate nearly 2 1/2 hours early! I’m amazed!

I can only hope the rest of the trip goes this smoothly!:)

AC58A297-376E-432B-BCE0-5907168530D5.jpeg
7C332278-BA85-44C4-B465-0FCA9FC3E9F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping all goes smooth!

Stay safe and have fun.

Looking forward to reports from the field.

I may have spoken too soon about going smoothly. Pulled in to deplane and the ramp took about 40 minutes to get it to work! Finally it did and now I’m at the departure gate waiting for Toby to show.

Have an awesome adventure! Nothing like Africa, a pal, and an agenda to get the juices flowing. If a slow ramp is the only hiccup, you will have nothing to worry about! Blessings on your journey.

Go get em Phil! I’ll except a WhatsApp photo! Lol

Happy hunting. All the best - talk when you return,

Send pictures when you can!

I should have told you Toby works in GA. He probably put in his 8 hours and then went to the airport. I think his philosophy is that Delta will then have less time to loose his guns.;);)

I should have told you Toby works in GA. He probably put in his 8 hours and then went to the airport. I think his philosophy is that Delta will then have less time to loose his guns.;);)

I worked out for Him last year!

Toby got an oryx I see on Facebook

Anxiously awaiting word!:D Pop Popcorn:

Best of luck! Waiting on the first update!!

Have a great Time guys, i'm looking forward to the report.

Well, I just get back from the Caprivi and this magnificent adventure is taking place. Looking forward to the story. (y)(y)(y)

Ridgewalkers internet is pretty sparse.
But hes conneting with his quarry Going to be a great story

It looks like the hunt has been successful according to the Pawprint Facebook page. The best wifi at Reitzdale is when you are standing next to Pieter and he has activated his personal hotspot.

Sorry for the delay guys, but no internet at Rietzdale. We got to PawPrints lodge late yesterday. Toby left to head back home. So I’m up early and will start my report.

Monday, 7/29. After Anna and Charles from RiflePermits whisked us through SAPS, Pieter’s sister, Susan, and mother, Glouda, picked us up and took us to Glouda’s house for a light dinner, shower and sleep.

Day 1, Tuesday, 7/30. 5:00am and Toby is already up and ready to go. Me, I’m dragging. Johan picked us up at 6:00 and we’re off for the Kalahari! About a 5 1/2 hour drive.

After arriving, we tested rifles and they were all good to go. So off we went. Chris driving, Johan PHing, tracker, Toby and me. We’re trying for impala and gemsbok first until Seun (lion PH) arrives Tuesday. After 6-8 walk and stalks I finally got a shot thinking the gemsbok was facing me straight away. Wrong! He was actually looking straight at me, but the body was to my right, so I shot right under his head completely missing his body! Dugh, didn’t understand what Johan was telling me about his position. Oh well, I guess I made my first miss in Africa! A bit disappointed in myself, but now my miss is over and tomorrow is another day.

Interesting what they call a “wide load”... “abnormal”:ROFLMAO:
3CC686EC-2A5C-4CB2-965E-D4CB65290E1E.jpeg
5FE3BCBE-E046-489A-8BAA-5FC0C8E44EB1.jpeg
E3EE3F64-FA69-49D5-A523-0A174074BBC4.jpeg
742F0DC9-8949-4A2F-B05B-9769B2B8498D.jpeg
23D04478-C63E-4745-B61A-E146CDF0032A.jpeg
4E84EEEC-4BAD-44DA-B15F-F15D3385E296.jpeg

FYI, shredded impala for lunch and oryx fillets for dinner...mmmm...delicious!

Day 2, Wednesday, 7/31. Took off and soon spotted another good horned gemsbok. Johan and I climbed out of the bakkie and stalked to under 200 yards and set up on the sticks. Several passed a small opening where most of their backs were visible. Finally as the last one moved through the opening I pulled the trigger. I saw dust fly up behind him and thought the Barnes 235 gr had passed through him. Again no blood! I can’t believe I have missed my second gemsbok in as many tries! Ugh! Frustrating! Johan doesn’t believe I missed due to the reaction of the gemsbok, so Seun brings Ruger on a leash to try to find the animal. We only look briefly when Seun says he doesn’t want to release Ruger for fear he will be killed by the lion that he thinks might be in the area. I concede and sadly count the gemsbok as a lost animal. I hate letting a fine animal suffer if that is what happened!

We drag brush behind the bakkie all day. While looking for fresh lion spoor. Finally about 5:00 we hit fresh tracks of a male! We all climbed out and began the stalk. William, the tracker, along with Seun, the PH, then Johan, myself and Toby. About 5:30 the lion shows a flash of himself and the pace picks up. On we went and on he went until the sun was setting. Finally Seun called it off saying the potential of wounding a lion this close to dark wasn’t a healthy situation, so we backed out and went to the lodge for gemsbok fillets, beverages, chitchat and finally bedtime. Not a good night’s sleep thinking of what all had gone wrong in my shooting.

William is the “bait” as I called him sitting in the seat on the front of the bakkie.
5E0D01E7-8286-45E1-8799-EEC454CBF7EA.jpeg

Left to right, Johan with a CZ in 458 Lott, William with sticks to beat the lion up and Seun with a Markell 470 NE.
BE54B0A7-3C00-4B9B-BA13-61017CA437E6.jpeg

Tracks as the sun set.
C3B379DF-6DF9-419E-8FE6-6273D83B8431.jpeg

Another beautiful Africa sunset.
EF1B5ED6-6D7E-44FD-9802-70E4A06D0AAF.jpeg

The size of these are obviously male!
49A2135D-E270-485B-BE78-15FF4082D000.jpeg

Another size comparison.
4C80BA7B-3844-4308-A47D-E6BE58D8C98C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross