SOUTH AFRICA: Numzaan Safaris June 2017

Kusko

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Our good friends Jerry and Pam were at a Friends of the NRA banquet back in October of 2015 with my wife Amy. One of the auction items was a 5 day safari with Numzaan. They bid on it and won!

Well, fast forward to 2017. We had waited, saved our money and were ready to go on a true adventure. Traveling from Alaska, it took us 3 days to get to South Africa. I would highly recommend going through Atlanta to Joberg. It's more expensive, but much faster than going through Frankfurt. The cool thing about Frankfurt, beer at McDonald's!! LOL!

IMG_2059.jpg

We landed in Joberg and got our things. My bow was missing, but a quick check at customs and we had it located. The MVP service was outstanding. We were shuttled to the front of the line at ever spot to check our passports.

full

As soon as we got to the camp called Vaalkop, we were in the bakkie and going to sight in our guns. We elected to rent our guns as it was going to be alot easier. I planned to bowhunt for the majority of the time and my PH Brent (who is a bowhunter) was all about it.

full

full

full

The food and camaraderie were amazing. We were treated like royalty. We were used to DIY hunts in Alaska where we sleep in tents and eat Mountain House.

full

If anyone tells you that hunting in Africa is easy, they are full of it. I sat in the blind for 27 hours before I drew my bow. The animals are skittish and blend in well. Our friends walked and stalked miles each day. On some days, they would wait in the blinds at water holes for hours.

Right off the bat, Jerry was successful. In fact, he was on fire. He was successful getting a warthog, impala and a zebra!!

full

full

On day three, I finally connected. A one horn impala came to the water and I asked my PH if it was a cull. He gave me the thumbs up and my first arrow was on it's way.

full

Later that evening, another impala came in. This one had two horns. On this one we got it all on video. If I can figure out how to download it on here I'll share.

full

full

Things were starting to roll.

Amy was successful in shooting her first animals ever!!

full

full

full

Pam shot her first animal too!! She made a great shot on this impala.

full

Numzaan was great about moving us to different properties to accomodate our list of animals. On a new property Jerry and I were able to connect on a warthog, nyala and a kudu.

full

full

full

We went to another property to hunt springbok and kudu. The kudu were really avoiding me and I didn't think I was going to get one. On father's day, I finished my list by getting a springbok with a rifle and a beautiful kudu with my bow.

full

full

full

On the same property, Jerry killed this hog of a springbok.

full

We made a lot of new friends on our safari. The hospitality was second to none. Jerry's PH was Stephan. He was a lot of fun. Both him and Brent worked hard everyday. Our chef Hein was amazing. The camp staff that did our laundry and cleaned our cabin were just as good. The camp manager Casey became new best friends with our wives. She was our savior. Last but not least, our skinner/trackers were amazing. Erisha and Chico are very talented individuals. Their skill set with a knife and on a track is unreal. I trap all winter long and there is no way that I can handle fur/animals like these two.

If you are looking for a down to earth camp, look no further than Numzaan. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Beautiful trophies and thanks for sharing.

Nicely done, congrats! Thank for sharing with us!

Congrats on some very nice animals and many “firsts” :) Always a special experience to be there when friends or loved ones take their first game animal.
And Kasey is without question the best! I have not met anyone that doesn’t love her.
Thanks for sharing your adventure (y)

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Great report Thank You

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats
Bruce

Congrats on a great hunt ! That nyala is a stud! Nice to see the ladies do so well, one thing that can make animals extra skittish around the water is if they rifle hunt at water holes. When were you with Numzaan ? I saw them and some hunters at a gas station last July when when I was there.

Congrats on a great hunt ! That nyala is a stud! Nice to see the ladies do so well, one thing that can make animals extra skittish around the water is if they rifle hunt at water holes. When were you with Numzaan ? I saw them and some hunters at a gas station last July when when I was there.

It is a stud. I had a chance to take him, but had to pass because of my bank account. :)

We hunted with them the third week of June.

Nicely written article, Kusko. I'd like to add a couple of pics that weren't available to you, when you wrote this.

IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to all involved!!

Great hunt ! It's always great to spend time with friends in a wonderful place.
We are headed to numzaan in July. Thanks for the photo and story.

Congrats on a great hunt !

A great report guys, thanks for sharing. It is good to see that both of you are posting now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,