SOUTH AFRICA: Night Critters & Small Cats With Kemp African Safaris

Like the story already and you haven’t begun hunting yet!

:A Popcorn:

Happy birthday! Looking forward to the report!

Day 1 Hunt - I guess when night hunting, days become nights and nights be come days. What I never really thought about was the incredible amount of preparation that goes into a hunt specifically for night critters. I mean, like any bait site, you want to know the coming and going of the animals, as well as their size and/or maturity. What I did not understand at all was the incredible amounts of game meat that are required to keep these sites active. Not only has each site be well planned out for the prevailing winds and shot selection, but also for the natural travel corridors of these critters. With multiple sites, it is no different than any other predator site. You bait, you drag, you replenish, you hunt, you repeat.

With that said, we set up in the late afternoon to try our luck at catching a baboon coming off the mountain to use for bait. About 4:30PM, the troop moved through, and I was fortunate enough to get a big dog baboon. Perfect for our bait site.

IMG_0894.JPG

So bait secured, we are off for a full night in the hide to see what is stirring.

Mort
What is your short list of night critters? Sounds like an adventure!
Philip

Boss baboon! Looking forward to the upcoming installment.

One fine black old baboon! I’m envious! Actually envious of your whole night critter hunt! I started at 6 years old and have had some excellent times chasing them! Can’t wait to see what all you find! Everything seems to come to life after dark.

Congrats on the baboon! You are going to have great trip!

Day 1 Hunt - I guess when night hunting, days become nights and nights be come days. What I never really thought about was the incredible amount of preparation that goes into a hunt specifically for night critters. I mean, like any bait site, you want to know the coming and going of the animals, as well as their size and/or maturity. What I did not understand at all was the incredible amounts of game meat that are required to keep these sites active. Not only has each site be well planned out for the prevailing winds and shot selection, but also for the natural travel corridors of these critters. With multiple sites, it is no different than any other predator site. You bait, you drag, you replenish, you hunt, you repeat.

With that said, we set up in the late afternoon to try our luck at catching a baboon coming off the mountain to use for bait. About 4:30PM, the troop moved through, and I was fortunate enough to get a big dog baboon. Perfect for our bait site.

View attachment 301810

So bait secured, we are off for a full night in the hide to see what is stirring.

That’s gonna be a long night .Luckily it’s not that cold anymore. Hope they show up.

View attachment 301810

Cool picture.

Thanks for all the post. The play by play reporting has gone amuck. This “hunting all night, quick visit back to lodge for shower, head out to secure bait, lunch, then get things ready fore evening hunt” does not leave much time to compose report. So, suffice to say I will drop a few updates and continue the report properly on its conclusion.

But to answer one question above regarding short list of night critters, it has morphed and grown a hydra head. But to be honest, I would say in no order Honey Badger, Civet, Genet, Serval, Bush Pig, Porcupine, and Brown Hyena(i know I can not import, but they are awesomely cool beast).

Honey Badger, Civet, Genet, Serval, Bush Pig, Porcupine, and Brown Hyena
WOW! That’s a grand list! Best of luck! Oh I’m envious!

Can’t wait to hear how this goes. Night hunted for the first time this year and I’m hooked!

About half way through hunt and having good success and grand adventure. Won’t spoil the report but already a great trip and experience.

I will post a photo from one of our bait sites. And yes, a good story to follow in the report.
eefe6497-5516-4398-93b9-09d9f72098ca.jpg

Oh I’m excited looking at the trail cam picture! So glad you’re having a great adventure!

You learn a lot as you proceed through one of these specialty type hunts.

What I have come to realize is that the typical day one to day whatever reporting becomes very disjointed due to the nature of each specie and what you must do in preparation to target each individual one.

So my proper report at the conclusion of the hunt will reference each specie, and then the days/nights that were involved in either successfully or unsuccessfully hunting and obtaining said trophy.

That said, we are having a grand old time, and I am learning so much about my quarry that I never knew, nor thought to ask. It is one of those safaris where there is complete immersion into the task at hand. Thanks again for following along.

Mort, happy belated birthday to my cigar aficionado friend, and congrats on your hunt. Not a bad stash of cigars you have there. Hope to see pictures of some long ashes with your trophies. Good luck, and can't wait to read the report. (y)(y)

Thanks @PARA45

The cigar stash has dwindled, but pacing myself well to come out with just enough cigars left for layovers on trip home.

Promise good report and photos. Just enjoying a Partagas Serie D while the outfitter is out with neighbors( you know, the next 12,000 acres over) fighting a bush fire. And no, did not start with my cigar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg