Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Just back from a hunt with Nick Bowker Hunting at Olive Fountain Ranch, just south of Bedford, South Africa with my good friend, AH member and hunting partner Markm.

We took the two on one twenty animal cull and trophy package. Arriving on Saturday afternoon, we had time to check the rifles and make any necessary adjustments. Nick’s bench is only a few steps from the sleeping quarters, and after a few shots, we were good to go. Six o’clock came quick and after coffee and some cereal, we were set for a six forty-five departure time. In the truck and down the farm lanes, the first day was whatever opportunity arose. If it was in the package, we’d “make a plan” :).

After observing the terrain and the heavier bush than what our previous trips to the Northern Cape presented, we were both somewhat skeptical about taking the list in the allotted time frame. That fear was quickly allayed when within the first hour, a springbok was spotted sneaking down through a hillside of acacias. Nick suggested we circle around and see if we could get in position with the sticks for a fairly close shot. A few hundred meters down a hillside, walking slow and we were in position. I just got the rifle settled in the Rudolph sticks waiting for it to appear from behind an acacia bush, I see it’s rear quarter drop as it decides it’s time to lay down. Partially obscured by the acacia at about ninety meters. I gently lifted the sticks, repositioned, looked back at Nick and he asked if I could take a shot. Scope set at the low power, I zoomed to see if any obstructions. Nothing in the way for a shoulder shot, I pulled the trigger and the first animal was down. High fives, a call to the trackers and it was back on the truck, stopping and glassing along the way until another potential shot was spotted. Nick’s routine is to hunt until eleven or so then head back to ranch for morning brunch, a two hour break then back out for the afternoon. With a power nap, this worked out well for both of us. I finished out the day with an impala and Mark took a springbok, mountain reedbuck and a warthog. On occasion, for whatever reason, one of us will defer to the other but on this hunt we were never more than one or two animals apart.

At the end of each day’s hunt, it was back to the ranch for a shower with a fresh towel, catching up on any communications via wi-fi or phone and then over to the dining hall for some appetizers, libations and then dinner and dessert. Laundry was done daily and returning after the afternoon hunt, clothes were pressed, folded and on the bed. Except for two evenings, it was all braii cooked dinners with venison of various stripes, lamb chops, leg of lamb, pork and beef being served. The fallow deer backstrap shishkabobs were supreme. Meat was done to order by Master Chef Nick. Homemade desserts made by Nick’s lovely wife topped off the meal. If one went hungry here, it’d be their own fault. Side note, I’m a kombucha drinker and with Nick’s wife making a trip to Grahamstown, I asked her if she could get some. That evening in the fridge, there were two bottles she found at a fresh market in town.

I kept a log for each day and my final tally was seven springbok, four mountain reedbuck, four blesbok, four impala and three warthogs. Most animals killed in a day was four and the least, one. The extra springbok were common rams in with the variant herd. We took them on the last two evenings. Mark was overweighted on warthogs but still got twenty animals at the package price.

For both of us we had the most fun spotting warthogs from the truck and then getting out and stalking them to within a hundred meters or closer, setting up on the sticks and taking the shot. Sometimes we’d put in a good amount of time and distance only to be given the slip by these wily beasts, but in the end the 28 Noslers made short work of the unlucky ones.

Last but not least, cannot leave out their two tenacious hunting dogs, Blackjack and Bella who, if necessary, were ready to track and bring down any runners who didn’t know they were on their way to animal heaven.

For any first timer wishing to get a great hunt for a fair price, or for those that have already hunted the Dark Continent, both Mark and I highly recommend Nick’s venue.

Photos are some good representations of the animals taken.

impala_4.jpg
mark_warthog.jpg
mtn_reedbuck 1.jpg
springbok_final.jpg
white_blesbok.jpg

Travel report for the above hunt:

We flew Qatar through Doha and let’s just say, no comparison with Delta and the extra money for the business Qsuites is worth it. There is somewhat longer time in the air and if taking firearms, the additional paperwork and time to check in but other than that, no issues, smooth sailing on both ends.
Philly was an hour and a half from the time I arrived at the airport until I was through security and at the gate. I know others that didn’t have the detailed check in but I wouldn’t count on it. The entire process is always in flux and the protocol is random so it’s more difficult to game the system.

We were fortunate that we had short layovers, four hours in Doha going and hour and twenty minutes returning. With two security checkpoints/scans before boarding, we actually cut it short on the return as they were starting to board when we got to the gate at Doha for the second leg to Philly.

We got our kungflu tests in Grahamstown the morning of the day before departure and had our results by seven o’clock that evening via their app and by email, cost 850R/61.13U.S. paid with a credit card. The only other expense was getting dinged for an extra bag by Airlink, $41.13 each way.

One caveat with Qatar in Joberg, (usual disclaimer, this ain’t Kansas, Toto) if taking firearms, allow plenty of time for check in and have all your paperwork (4457s, copy of passport, firearm surrender form, and test results. They took photos of everything and check in is by committee. I don’t know about other agencies but using Bid Air through Gracy Travel, and dependent on the time of day, you may have to stand in LONG security lines. We blew through the assisted passenger line in about ten minutes versus who knows how long in the other que.

Arriving in Philly, a Qatar rep had our guns on a cart and met us at the baggage carousel almost the time we arrived there then wheeled them over to Customs for check-in and then to the elevator to ground transportation. All in all, a pleasant and efficient experience with all Customs and TSA personnel in Philly.

The worst part of the trip was the hour and half rush hour trip southbound on I 95 to the last exit in Delaware, a trip that usually takes forty minutes. Yep, I say to myself "back in the jungle".

Cool trip! Thanks for the write-up. Was it all culls, or are you bringing back any for mounting?

Just back from a hunt with Nick Bowker Hunting at Olive Fountain Ranch, just south of Bedford, South Africa with my good friend, AH member and hunting partner Markm.

We took the two on one twenty animal cull and trophy package. Arriving on Saturday afternoon, we had time to check the rifles and make any necessary adjustments. Nick’s bench is only a few steps from the sleeping quarters, and after a few shots, we were good to go. Six o’clock came quick and after coffee and some cereal, we were set for a six forty-five departure time. In the truck and down the farm lanes, the first day was whatever opportunity arose. If it was in the package, we’d “make a plan” :).

After observing the terrain and the heavier bush than what our previous trips to the Northern Cape presented, we were both somewhat skeptical about taking the list in the allotted time frame. That fear was quickly allayed when within the first hour, a springbok was spotted sneaking down through a hillside of acacias. Nick suggested we circle around and see if we could get in position with the sticks for a fairly close shot. A few hundred meters down a hillside, walking slow and we were in position. I just got the rifle settled in the Rudolph sticks waiting for it to appear from behind an acacia bush, I see it’s rear quarter drop as it decides it’s time to lay down. Partially obscured by the acacia at about ninety meters. I gently lifted the sticks, repositioned, looked back at Nick and he asked if I could take a shot. Scope set at the low power, I zoomed to see if any obstructions. Nothing in the way for a shoulder shot, I pulled the trigger and the first animal was down. High fives, a call to the trackers and it was back on the truck, stopping and glassing along the way until another potential shot was spotted. Nick’s routine is to hunt until eleven or so then head back to ranch for morning brunch, a two hour break then back out for the afternoon. With a power nap, this worked out well for both of us. I finished out the day with an impala and Mark took a springbok, mountain reedbuck and a warthog. On occasion, for whatever reason, one of us will defer to the other but on this hunt we were never more than one or two animals apart.

At the end of each day’s hunt, it was back to the ranch for a shower with a fresh towel, catching up on any communications via wi-fi or phone and then over to the dining hall for some appetizers, libations and then dinner and dessert. Laundry was done daily and returning after the afternoon hunt, clothes were pressed, folded and on the bed. Except for two evenings, it was all braii cooked dinners with venison of various stripes, lamb chops, leg of lamb, pork and beef being served. The fallow deer backstrap shishkabobs were supreme. Meat was done to order by Master Chef Nick. Homemade desserts made by Nick’s lovely wife topped off the meal. If one went hungry here, it’d be their own fault. Side note, I’m a kombucha drinker and with Nick’s wife making a trip to Grahamstown, I asked her if she could get some. That evening in the fridge, there were two bottles she found at a fresh market in town.

I kept a log for each day and my final tally was seven springbok, four mountain reedbuck, four blesbok, four impala and three warthogs. Most animals killed in a day was four and the least, one. The extra springbok were common rams in with the variant herd. We took them on the last two evenings. Mark was overweighted on warthogs but still got twenty animals at the package price.

For both of us we had the most fun spotting warthogs from the truck and then getting out and stalking them to within a hundred meters or closer, setting up on the sticks and taking the shot. Sometimes we’d put in a good amount of time and distance only to be given the slip by these wily beasts, but in the end the 28 Noslers made short work of the unlucky ones.

Last but not least, cannot leave out their two tenacious hunting dogs, Blackjack and Bella who, if necessary, were ready to track and bring down any runners who didn’t know they were on their way to animal heaven.

For any first timer wishing to get a great hunt for a fair price, or for those that have already hunted the Dark Continent, both Mark and I highly recommend Nick’s venue.

Photos are some good representations of the animals taken.

View attachment 404189View attachment 404190View attachment 404191View attachment 404192View attachment 404193
Awesome hunt and report! Thanks for sharing! BTW, you both took 28 Noslers?

Last edited:
Cool trip! Thanks for the write-up. Was it all culls, or are you bringing back any for mounting?
No mounts this time, all culls but some would be considered in the trophy class.

Nice bunch of animals, sounds as though you had an enjoyable trip, thanks for posting. Glad to hear about your cull hunting, looking forward to that next year.

Well done and appreciate the photos and report!

Excellent hunt and report. Thank you. We leave for Namibia on August 17! I cannot wait.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Well Done! Sounds like you all had a great trip. Thanks for sharing with us.

Awesome hunt and report! Thanks for sharing! BTW, you both took 28 Noslers?
Mark went with his 28 Nosler. I took a 6.5x47 Lapua and a 28 Nosler and used the Nosler most of the time. I built the 28 specifically for this hunt, originally scheduled for last year and the 6.5 as a backup.

Mark went with his 28 Nosler. I took a 6.5x47 Lapua and a 28 Nosler and used the Nosler most of the time. I built the 28 specifically for this hunt, originally scheduled for last year and the 6.5 as a backup.
What bullet and velocity (on both) - and how did they perform?

I keep mulling over doing a 7mm, but thinking more along the lines of 280AI.

What bullet and velocity (on both) - and how did they perform?

I keep mulling over doing a 7mm, but thinking more along the lines of 280AI.
Mark used factory Hornady 162 ELDX @ 3175 and I used Berger 168 HVLDs @ 3250. As long as you don't go crazy with the ranges, the 280AI would be a good choice albeit with a lighter bullet. On a previous trip, a friend used a .270 W and killed thirteen PG animals with the 140 HVLDs. He kept his shots less than 250 meters.

Congrats, seems like you guys had a great time !

Congrats on having an adventure, finally.
Great news that you were both out stalking the beasts and not a typical mass cull hunt.

Congrats, thanks for posting.

Sounds like a great time. Travel went well. You two took some nice animals. Nice camp. Great food. You we’re in Africa. What more could you ask for?
Thanks for the writeup.

Looks and sounds like you had a great trip. Some nice looking animals in the pics. Congrats
Bruce

Used this setup for the longer shots that were out in the open flats. I took four inches off the bottom legs to fit me in the sitting position. I attached a picatinny rail to the bottom of the forearm so as to be able to use the bipod with a quick detachable adapter.

IMG_20210525_152852912_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you