SOUTH AFRICA: Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA Hunting April 20 To May 1

Day 7: sunny 78F windy

I took a day off of hunting and watched my friend hunt zebra and warthog. I spent several hours with Mark, the neighbor landowner. I learned a lot about the behind the scenes of my hunt. Here are a few highlights:
  1. My exceptional luck was due to allot of intel provided by many of the landowners and their employees acting as scouts. Mark spends 7 hours a day counting his wild game on his land.
  2. Trophy hunting provides a huge economic benefit to the ranchers and they now treat all the local wildlife as a valuable resource and thus conserve and protect it.
  3. Only about 3% of the game animals are harvested as trophies each year.
  4. Some species reproduce at a rate of doubling every 2 years, thus requiring culling of around 30% a year (meat hunting).
  5. Each game animal has a score compared to a cow as to the amount of food needed, and the land only has a set amount of browse available dependent on rainfall and grazing pressure.
Day 8 morning hunt: sunny 65F.

This day we went after a gray duiker. We drove 10 minutes and then hiked 2 miles over about 2 hours. I must say, Nick puts in the same effort on this $200 add on tiny 10 game animal as the kudu. We sneaked around kudu, nyala, warthog, Steenbok, Guineafowls, and baboons, to get into position for a shot at a trophy duiker. I made a 140 yard shot on the 5th duiker we stalked up to.

F11B7BBA-422D-42E3-B89A-BAAD10EF633C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
8 day’s hunting, 9 trophies taken and if the budget allowed I could have easily gotten a few more. What an awesome hunt. If anyone is considering Nick Bowker hunting, I would highly recommend this outfitter.

Really nice report. What kind of sticks did you use? The shots seemed quite long. Was it more open cover? Great shooting! Was your party the only one in camp? It is great to here from another hunter from WI. I am near Sheboygan. Your fellow badger, Brian

The shooting sticks used are Rudolph quad sticks. My buddy and I bought a pair of the exact model Nick uses. We practiced a half dozen times shooting a few hundred rounds of 22LR. After the first round of 50 shots I got very comfortable shooting, I could hit a quarter at 50 yards. I am not the most accurate shooter by any means, but using these sticks is like shooting off a bench. The hunting grounds varies a lot from wide open country to thick brush, my shots ranged from 100 to 400 yards. The longer shots were on big targets making it very doable. Yes my party was the only one in camp, that’s how Nick always does it, makes it very enjoyable for all. Brian, good to here from other WI residents.

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

sounds like a great trip. Congrats on everything and thanks for sharing.

Congrats on a successful hunt. That warthog is a beast! Hunted with Nick in '21. He runs a tight ship and his trackers and woo woos are a pleasure to have along on the hunting.

@MrCreedmoor , I enjoyed reading your hunt report, sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable trip. Very nice animals! Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross