Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
United States ; South Africa
image.jpg
image.jpg
Starting to research Lion hunting in Africa. Most likely destination will be South Africa, but I am open to other destinations. Some questions y'all might be able to help me with:

What is considered a fair price for hunting a lion?
Difference in hunting lion in SA versus other destinations in Africa?
Are most lions hunts spot and stalk or over a baited area?

Thanks for your help and guidance. Will be posting my review of hunting Black Death in the Timbivati in the next week. Here are a couple of pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures.
I would suggest that you start your lion research with the hunt offers.
You will run into the debate: Canned, Estate, Fenced, Free Range, Wild. etc.

RSA lion hunting is likely to be for lions that have been raised and then released on the property you hunt and will be a tracking/spot and stalk hunt.

Elsewhere in southern Africa you're most likely to be hunting over bait. However in Burkina Faso, baiting is not allowed, it is a stalk hunt there.

Price on a RSA hunt will be dictated by the quality of the mane. Elsewhere I think you pretty much pay whatever the outfitter wants to charge, demand for wild lion permits easily outstrips the supply.

Pricing for lion usually starts at $20,000 for a nice maned male and I've seen lioness pricing from $6,000-8,000. South Africa in the Kalahari we spot and stalk the lions. The trackers will be able to tell how big the lion is from the tracks. Once you cut a fresh track the hunt is on and can be walking a great distance. The lions will want to keep cool in the shade and may be bumped as your are following them then will stand there ground and can be shots from 40-60 yards, very close a .375 rifle with 300 grain bullet will do the job.
With hunting over bait, could take days and may not know what size lion will come up to the bait, usually done with bow and arrow.

Lion hunting in SA is spot and stalk. Prices on females start at more or less $6000 and males from $11000 up to $32000 depending on age and mane, a very nice maned lion will be available from about $20000. Congratulations on the buff and enjoy your lion research.

Great pics Thanks! as for the lion as BRICKBURN has stated your going to get in to some debates but go with your heart and your pocket book if you can afford 50 to 70K for a free range lion go for it, it is my dream but my pocket book tells me South Africa where a good male lion can be had for 15 to 25K and as for danger if I mess up it could be my butt. It might be in a 3000 to 10000 acre pen but it would be my lion. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross