SOUTH AFRICA: NAMIBIA: Wintershoek/Ozondjahe Hunt Report 2015

Finally the Oribi!!!!!

You know I've been waiting, mostly patiently, for that one! Great animal!
Well, you have to see these things in the order in which they were taken. You can't just start showing pictures willy nilly. Where would we be then? Chaos, that's where!

Thanks!

Well, you have to see these things in the order in which they were taken. You can't just start showing pictures willy nilly. Where would we be then? Chaos, that's where!

Thanks!

You shot the Oribi at Chaos? Will have to find that on the map... ;) I thought I did a good job of waiting for the pirture!!!

Oh, and regarding Oribi and fences. We had one run off from us and through a typical tight SA cattle fence that had probably six inch spacing, at most. That Oribi never even touched that fence at full speed and never broke stride. It was fun to watch.

Ok, it's on to Namibia now. I will do my best to get this out in a timely fashion!

May 31 – Travel – Day 14

We are up and out on time, saying our goodbyes and thanks to John. This is my fourth hunt with John as the PH, and I am more impressed every time we hunt together. I’m not sure when I’ll be back in South Africa to hunt with him, but I’m sure I will some day, so something to look forward to.

Hannes is coming with us to Namibia, so he is driving us to Durban in his truck. We stuff in, Peter goes to sleep almost immediately, and Hannes gets us lost somewhere in Pietermaritzburg. He followed the GPS, but the lady in there is clearly addled at this time of day, and steers us wrong. We eventually get back to the highway, and before we know it, we are at the airport in Durban. Hannes has someone meeting him to take the truck and store it securely, and we go in, check in, check the guns, and wait for our flight.

I should add here that the Durban airport is one of the cleanest I have seen anywhere in the world. I used one of the washrooms, which not only smelled clean, it was so clean you could eat your meals there. Someone clearly cares about the place, and it shows. LaGuardia – take a lesson.

The flights to Jo’burg and Windhoek were uneventful. The guns were checked in Durban, and upon leaving South Africa, and once again, no one cared that one of the guns was misdescribed and that one of the serial numbers was wrong!

We had a fairly short layover in Jo’burg, so when I gave the guns to the people there, I asked the two men dealing with them to make sure that they got to the plane on time. They both assured me that they would do everything they could, and I gave them each 100 rand, at which point they said no problem at all. At that point a woman came running out of the office and said “what about me?” I said “I’ve never seen you before; you need to talk to these two!” and left. Cheap insurance, especially given what happened to my luggage on the way in (checked again with as by the way - they were still looking for the bag I checked with them again this morning!).

Upon arrival in Windhoek, I had to wait for a policeman to issue the permit for Namibia. I had filled in the form in advance – a single page – but there was no one to give it to. After chasing down everyone I could find, a policeman finally showed up – about 20 minutes after everyone else had left the arrivals area – and issued the permit. This time there was no problem about the serial numbers – his handwriting was totally illegible, so they could be whatever we wanted them to be! Very polite though, and the process was as smooth as promised, if a touch slower.

The airport in Namibia is quite small (the population of the entire country is only about 2.2 million), so it’s hard to miss someone. We waited outside for a short time, and met Francois, who would drive us to Ozondjahe Safaris, about 3 hours away. We quickly introduced ourselves, loaded up and we were on our way.

By the time we arrived, it was just getting dark. We were shown to our rooms, which were very nice – quite new, with very modern bathrooms and very comfortable beds. There was no air conditioning (I’m getting soft) but they have that rarity in Africa – screened windows, so we were able to sleep with the windows open. It was very cold at night, which was perfect, because the beds have very warm down quilts. We then moved to the lapa, where we had what would prove to be but the first of many great meals. I can’t quite recall what the meal was, but every meal was one type of game or another – impala spaghetti Bolognese, eland filet, gemsbok schnitzel, etc. All wonderful.

June 1 – Day 15

P1160443.jpg

P1160346.jpg

The lapa at Ozondjahe.

We had met our PH, Theo, at dinner the previous night. Francois was also a PH, but would be hunting with an American couple who were arriving in two days to hunt leopard. We hit it off with Theo right away. He was the “farm manager” as well as being a PH, and he knew the place like the back of his hand. Between Theo and Gottfried, our driver/tracker, we were clearly in good hands.

Ozondjahe is a large property, bisected by a highway. For someone from North America, large property has a certain meaning – let me assure you, it has a completely different meaning in Namibia. Ozondjahe is 120 square miles! I defy anyone to tell me that you can’t hunt “fair chase” when you are hunting a property that is 120 square miles.

We loaded up a bit later than we normally would, since we needed daylight to sight-in the rifles. The range was not far from the camp, and within a few minutes, that task was completed, for both rifles.

As we began our drive around the property, Theo explained the ins and outs of cheetah hunting. Principally, there was no plan! We would have to cover as much ground as we could early and late in the day, and be ready to shoot on a second’s notice. Some shots would be close – at times apparently they huddle in the thickets, staring at the vehicle, but I need to be ready for longer shots as well.

I had expected the property to be wide open – after all, that’s what cheetah’s look for, or so I thought. It’s true that they need open space to chase down prey, but once they’ve brought something down, they need cover to eat it, or there is a serious risk that they’ll be pushed off their kill. There were no lions in this area, but there were lots of leopards (we saw tracks every day), as well as hyena. In addition, there was a large population of vultures, which have also been known to push a cheetah off its kill.

As we were driving, we say large (and I mean large) populations of impala, blue wildebeest, gemsbok, warthog and giraffe (Theo told us there were over 800 giraffe on the property!). We saw ostrich (in flocks?!) frequently, and Burchell’s zebra regularly. Jackals were to become a daily sighting, as were steenbuck, kudu, common duiker and other animals. We saw black wildebeest irregularly, but daily, and there were populations of hartebeest as well. This property literally teemed with game.

But cheetah was something else. We continued our slow drive along the roads, stopping whenever we saw a track that resembled a cheetah track. We were to stop so frequently for tracks, only to decide they were leopard, that I had to constantly remind the team that this was a cheetah hunt!

At about 10 am, Gottfried spotted a drag mark across the road and stopped the vehicle. We got out, and quickly saw that these were cheetah tracks, not leopard. After following the drag marks into some thick brush, we found a very fresh ostrich kill, with evidence of two cheetah around it. Day 1, and we’ve already found fresh sign of cheetah! I was excited and for the first time I let myself think that the odds might actually be in our favour – on a cheetah hunt, the odds are always in the cat’s favour.

IMG_0573.jpg

Theo thought he knew which block the cheetah were in, and if he was right about that, he had a pretty good idea of which waterhole they would be drinking at. We would drive that block and see if there were tracks leaving; if not, there was a good chance they were still in the area. Again, after the drive, no evidence of tracks leaving the area, so I was even more excited. We placed some trail cams at the water hole, and that pretty much ended our cheetah hunt for the morning. Too warm for the cheetah to be moving at this point.

As we began a slow and somewhat leisurely drive back towards camp for lunch, Theo asked Peter if he would like to shoot a gemsbok for camp rations. Peter looked at me, and I said, “that means free, so the only answer is please and thank you!" So we began to look for a female with “rubbish horns” as they say in Africa.

It didn’t take long to find one, and Peter got ready from the back of the vehicle (this was not a hunt, so that was OK with me). He took his time – too much time, I thought! – but made a perfect shot. The gemsbok ran about 20 yards and piled up in the middle of a large thorn bush. We didn’t take any formal pictures, since it wasn’t a trophy, but Peter was glad nonetheless. New hunters need reassurance, and it’s great to get it in this way.

After lunch and a quick nap, we began what would be our routine for the next week or more. Get back in the truck, drive, and drive some more, and then drive some more after that. Cover ground, as much as possible. But we saw nothing.

Thanks Bruce. Not sure how he ranks in the book, but he ranks pretty highly with me!
When you get the head, if you are interested, I would be happy to measure for the SCI book.

When you get the head, if you are interested, I would be happy to measure for the SCI book.
That's very kind of you. I have a habit of not entering things in the book unless my PH requests it and that's happened rarely - a big sable. Nothing against it, just my humble Canadian nature I guess!

Great report! I've really enjoyed reading it and look forward to the rest!

Congrats on your trophies and non-trophies.

im a fan of your oribi to young fella, but that reed buck has my eye ........
I think I want ti hunt one of him ..........
peter had himself a great introduction to south Africa ,
you lads have had a blessed trip so far , looking foreward to reading all about this cheetah hunt

June 2 – Day 16

A cold front has moved into the area, and it’s really cold. I’m wearing an undershirt, a long sleeve shirt, a down fleece type jacket, and a hunting jacket I use in Canada in the winter. Gloves, and an “aviator” type of hat, with earflaps tied under my chin. And still I’m cold.

But we have ground to cover. We begin by driving, and once there’s enough light, we check for tracks. We see none. We visit the waterhole where we left the game cam, but no cheetah on it. So we drive some more.

By the time it’s too warm for cheetah, we try to find a zebra for Peter. Theo sees a few on the road more than 500 yards away, so stops us, and he, Peter and Hannes try to stalk them. From where I am I can see them come out of the trees onto the road about 200 yards from the zebra, which don’t seem too put out, at least not yet. I have to say the zebra we’ve seen from the vehicle have seemed quite skittish, much like zebra anywhere.

I see Peter get set up with the bipod, and hear a shot, but nothing moves. The zebra are looking around, but don’t seem sure where the noise came from. A second shot, still no reaction. A quick third shot, and they aren’t stupid, they hightail it out of there. When I get to Peter I ask what happened. He says he has no idea. He missed with all three shots, on a shot he should have made. He thinks maybe the scope has gotten out of whack. I agree it’s possible, but in 10 years of hunting, it’s never happened on this rifle.

So on our way back for lunch, we make a quick stop at the range, and the scope is dead on at 100 yards. Peter accepts it, but is clearly upset that he missed. Good lesson, if you don’t let it get to you. He’s a new hunter, and these things happen I tell him. How you react is what’s important.

After lunch, while it’s still too hot for cheetah, Theo spots some more zebra, and off they go again, leaving me at the truck. About 20 minutes later I hear a shot, and expect a call. It comes, and we’re off to meet them.

This time Peter made no mistake, and the zebra went down with one shot. Feeling much better now.

P1160416.jpg

After pictures, we take up the driving again, and again, no tracks. We reset the camera, and chop down a tree, which we drag behind the truck to clear the road of old tracks. Even before we did that, there was more dust here than I’ve ever seen in Africa and that’s saying something. With the tree, if the wind is towards us, we’re choking. But it has to be done.

By about 5.30 we’re losing light, and it’s time to head back. I had told Theo earlier about my dislike for ostrich, a dislike I come by honestly, I have to say.

Those who read last year’s hunt report will know that I had no choice but to take out the Mad Ostrich of Fort D’Acre, even though I didn’t really want to. It turns out that he likely only understood Afrikaans, so when I said, “stop or I’ll shoot”, I should have said, “stop jou bliksem of ek skiet.” Even then I’m sure he’d have tried to take me out, because ostrich are like that. If they think they have a chance to get you, they will. Purely out of meanness and spite. Vicious, smelly, ugly, flea-infested things, which think nothing of ruining the best-laid plans and busting the best stalks. Really, I don’t know what these things do to merit being made into cowboy boots (a nice pair of which I have), but that seems to be their highest and best use. And I am prepared to help them achieve this pinnacle of usefulness. Any time, anywhere.

Bearing this in mind, Theo, who is clearly always thinking, says there’s small group about 400 yards ahead, and that they will likely follow the road turning right. If we hurry, we might get a shot before they get too far. I give it about a nanosecond’s thought, and say what are we waiting for? Why are we not moving? There’s good work, necessary work, humanitarian work, to be done.

Gottfried speeds up, and as directed, as soon as he turns the corner, he stops. We see the ostrich in the fading light, about 250 yards down the road. The male has just come out of the bushes, about half on the road and half covered up. I get ready to shoot, waiting for him to give me a shot. Well, what should I have expected? Cooperation? Not in the genetic make up. The bliksem starts to actually walk away from me, trying to go on down the road. Not going to happen. Not on my watch.

I say “ready?’ and don’t hear a no, so I aim squarely in the body as he’s walking away, and try to time the shot so that I get him in the middle of the “bounce.”

I squeeze the trigger, and he drops to the shot. I keep looking at him through the scope, but he seems down for the count. I get some “good shooting” and back slaps, and the vehicle starts up and we head towards him. At that instant, his head pops up, and using one leg, he starts to try to drag himself into the bushes. Damn. Looks like I took out a shoulder, but it might not be immediately fatal. Or it might be, but knowing these wretched things, it won’t die just to spite me.

Gottfried is told to stop about 50 yards away from the bird. A quick conversation ensues. “Want me to put another shot into him?” “I don’t think it’s necessary, you’ll just ruin meat, we can just wring his neck.” “Really?" And who’s going to do that, I’m thinking? I’m not getting near that beak! (this is from Dean; I’m not worried about it, because I’m not smart enough to be worried about it). Then the fateful suggestion: “Shoot him in the head.” Not sure where that came from, but I say that it looks to be a tough shot. Small target, and a moving one at that. But again, you have to understand that I’m a humanitarian, and I don’t want this horrible thing to suffer, and I sure don’t want to ruin the meat, so I agree it’s worth a try (actually, by now I’ve decided I don’t want to wring its neck, so this seems like a good out!).

Gottfried turns the truck off, and I try to get lined up. The light is fading fast, and the damn head won’t stop moving. Yet another ostrich that doesn’t seem to know when someone’s trying to do it a favour. I try to see how it’s moving, try to predict where it will go, and get ready. I take the shot, and ye gads, the head actually blows up in a cloud of red! The neck, holding the stub of a head (a beak, actually), is writhing on the ground, flopping this way and that, spouting blood in all directions. Everyone on the truck is groaning. A truly disgusting display, but not unexpected given the drama these things go in for.

So last year it was the Mad Ostrich of Fort D’Acre, this year it’s the Headless Ostrich of Ozondjahe. I’m going to have nightmares about this.

P1160428.jpg

Later I see the video footage, and I have to say, I’m very pleased with the shot I made (impressed the hell out of the boy!), but really, it’s almost (only almost) too gory to watch.

One interesting aside. By the time we took the pictures it was too dark to really see any bugs this thing might have been harboring, but once I got back on the truck, I found myself picking horseflies (or some similarly sticky and relentless cousin) off of myself for much of the ride back to camp. Once in my room, I removed a few more as I got undressed for a shower, and – to my surprise – I removed another from my scalp after I had showered and washed my hair and dried my hair with a towel! These things do not let go easily!

That's very kind of you. I have a habit of not entering things in the book unless my PH requests it and that's happened rarely - a big sable. Nothing against it, just my humble Canadian nature I guess!
I hear you. I have a large moose that was measured for Boone & Crocket. Narrowly missed the all time book, but made the 3 year book. I still have the money order and entry form. Never did send it in.

Nothing wrong with measuring it just for your own reference. :)

June 3 – Day 17

Wednesday is, if anything, colder than yesterday. I give Peter the morning off, and he’s grateful. If you ask most students, or recently ex-students, if their idea of a holiday is to get up at 5 am every day, they’d ignore you as being too stupid to waste words on. He hasn’t complained once, but when I offered to let him sleep in at 5.30 am, he said, “I love you” and rolled over! It’s that easy to get love!

So once again, the routine continues, and still, we find no trace of our cheetahs. Nothing on the game cam. No tracks. Nothing.

I do find a nice kudu on the way back to the camp for lunch, and it’s his misfortune that I’m a bit frustrated, so down he goes in one shot. Not a spectacular kudu, but a fine kudu.

P1160395.jpg

After lunch, Peter joins us, and we spend the afternoon looking for cheetah, again to no avail. This cheetah hunting could seriously cramp a hunter’s style.

June 4 – Day 18

Cold. Same routine. Same result. We’re starting to think that the cheetahs have long left the block, and we just didn’t see the tracks. The only problem with this conclusion is that if we reach it, we have nothing else to go on. So we continue.

As we're heading back for lunch, Theo spots a nice gemsbok and asks Peter if he wants it. Peter says yes, and off they go. A half hour later we hear the shot, and quickly get to the spot. The gemsbok was hit, but it wasn’t clear how hard. There is good blood, and we’re going to start tracking. It’s gotten hot –as it does by about 10 am – and off we go. After a long walk through the thorns, we find the gemsbok, dead. Peter’s first shot was a little low but did the job.

P1160441.jpg

By the time we get back to camp for lunch, we have a quick turnaround and head back out, but once again, no cheetah sign anywhere. We reluctantly decide the cheetah have gone, so we have to widen our net to other parts of the property. Effectively, after four days, we’re back to square one, which is not unusual in cheetah hunting.

I guess you were pretty much going through same feelings as I was. The only thing you can do is to continue searching. But it's still easy to say that I enjoyed every minute of the hunt.

I guess you were pretty much going through same feelings as I was. The only thing you can do is to continue searching. But it's still easy to say that I enjoyed every minute of the hunt.
It's tough, because as you pointed out, there really isn't a plan, other than trying to be in the right place at the right time. So you keep moving. But, as you suggest, there are far worse ways to spend a day!

Hank-I am loving your story...great time so far! I think that kudu is very impressive...come on cheetah!!!

Hank-I am loving your story...great time so far! I think that kudu is very impressive...come on cheetah!!!
I think it's time to get a prayer circle going . . .

Love the stories about the ostrich! Everyone has his own white whale. Good job Ahab! Ha ha ha

Enjoying your stories Hank.(y)

Thanks Wheels. For me, it's like a second safari!

I agree. You get to relive it again.

Writing a hunting report is also a selfish act on my part. Rereading them years from now I will be reminded of details I would have otherwise forgotten.

I agree. You get to relive it again.

Writing a hunting report is also a selfish act on my part. Rereading them years from now I will be reminded of details I would have otherwise forgotten.
When I first went to Africa there was hunter in camp who had a guy doing video. My reaction was "who does he think he is?" On a subsequent hunt I was with a non-hunting friend who used a small Sony Handicam (or whatever it was) to film some of what I was doing. At the end of the hunt he downloaded all of the footage to my computer, and when I had some spare time, I learned how to make a movie on my Mac. I surprised myself (and annoyed my wife) with the number of times I watched the video! So I decided to try a professional, and that's how I met Hannes Pienaar, who has filmed most of my hunts. I now have hours of footage, and it still tickles me to watch them. I also filmed this hunt, as you know, with my son. I hope that one day, my kids and grandkids (god willing, but not just yet) enjoy seeing what the old man used to do for fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois