SOUTH AFRICA: My Trip

DLG

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Great time hunting with Shaun Keeney Safari. If you have any general safari questions I would love to share.
20180727_103301.jpeg
20180727_085527.jpeg
20180726_182601.jpeg
20180726_094009.jpeg
20180726_081828.jpeg
20180725_164519.jpeg
20180725_081727.jpeg
20180723_152509.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful animals. I have several questions: Where is the Hunting area? What type of Hunting did you use—spot and stalk, sitting in blinds? How big is the area? What type of firearm was used? Ammunition details? Who was your PH? How was the food? When is your next safari?

Beautiful animals. I have several questions: Where is the Hunting area? What type of Hunting did you use—spot and stalk, sitting in blinds? How big is the area? What type of firearm was used? Ammunition details? Who was your PH? How was the food? When is your next safari?
Hi. Thank you. In South Africa near Botswana border. It is drive, spot, stalk..and track. And lots of stalking. This particular property is around 6,000 acres. Longest shot with a .308 was 200 yards (Blesbok), then 180 (Gemsbo). Food was EXCELLENT!

Blue dot is my location.
IMG-20180728-WA0000.jpeg

Glad you had a good time and success.
Congratulations.

Nice trophies! Will make some beautiful mounts.

Some fine trophies! Congratulations!

Congrats, nice trophies !

Would love to hear some of the hunt details. The stalks and shots etc. Some nice animals. Congrats
Bruce

Would love to hear some of the hunt details. The stalks and shots etc. Some nice animals. Congrats
Bruce
I'll start with the "worst". We spotted the blesbuck about 800 yards away and started the stalk. Despite the cool morning temps I learned quickly to wear shorts because all the brush makes a hell of a noise in cotton pants (soon fell in love with the Columbia pants that zip into shorts). Quiet and when it warmed up instant shorts. But I digress.

It was one bull with two does. Got within 180 yards and took the shot. Instantly loss sight then the three emerged about 300 yards away walking. My guide said the lead one was walking with its head down so he assumed it was hit. Here is when it gets amazing....we started to follow the general line they walked and after an hour or so, he said I have their tracks. No blood..tracks. and there are a lot of tracks. It got dark so he marked the spot and we came back in the morning. Me gut sickened because no blood and I had no idea what he was following.

The next morning we walked another hour and....blood! Instantly I was amazed we had been following the right tracks! But the blood lasted only about 50 yards. The guide had me stand by the last known blood. After an hour I got antsy so crawled around looking for more blood. I should say that he has a 6 month old jack russel that actually sniffed the ground and found the first blood markings. But he couldn't pick up a scent after the blood stopped.

After a couple more hours I heard my guide whistle and I thought it was regroup time. It almost was. He was heading back to get me and devise a new strategy because he lost the tracks when the Jack Russell stood up sniffing. The guide looked in the direction the dog was sniffing and saw the blesbok!

Turns out it was a quartering away gut shot hence no blood.

I love shape of your impala. He is a monster.

Reactions: DLG
Well done, congrats.

Reactions: DLG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!