SOUTH AFRICA: RIFLEHUNT: BOWHUNT: My First Trip To South Africa Eastern Cape Hunt

Burke

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello, I took the long journey from Alaska to South Africa and had a great time. I hunted for 7 days with a friend and then our wives joined us for another 10 days of touring along the Garden Route. Awesome and various landscapes, critters and vegetation.
I hunted with a bow and a rifle...I learned quite a bit and would do it again, a little differently, but certainly worth the time and money.
I hope these pictures work, it works on other forums...this is my first post here.

Attachments

• image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 206
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 178
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image_5.jpeg
    image_5.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 190
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
gday burke ,welcome to AH
nice entry , mate
you got some nice animals
enjoy the site

Congratulations on what looks to be a very successful hunt. You will make your taxidermist very happy. :) The memories of your safari to RSA will help get your through the winter months, back in Alaska.

Congratulations on a fine trip, Burke. Glad to have you join us and thanks for sharing the photos.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

What would you do differently next time?

very well done.

Welcome to AH Burke !

Congrats for a good hunt.

welcome, great photos and congrats

Welcome to AH.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

What would you do differently next time?

Well, I didn't do enough research into bow hunting African game before this trip. I didn't know what questions to ask. I am not an archery purest and am willing to pick up a rifle as I did on this trip. However, in order to dedicate more of the hunt with a bow I would allocate more time and probably do a daily rate rather than buy a package and have the "pressure" of getting all the critters on the list. I did quite a bit of walk and stalk, nothing against sitting in blinds (which I did some), but I couldn't do it all day every day. The walk and stalk with a bow was challenging and exciting, but more time would have been better. I would want to combine sitting in blinds and the walk/spot and stalk method of hunting.

hi welcome aboard :D Beers:. and congrats on your first south african hunt , and when wheres next? :E Big Grin:

Thanks, What is next and when is the big question. I have so many hunts on the list that I don't have an answer. Obviously I will hunt the local Alaskan big game, and time and money dictate what kind of outside hunts I can do in one year.
I have no hesitation about returning to South Africa to hunt. Would I want to see another part of the continent, you bet! What about New Zealand, yup!!! I left Montana before I had a chance to shoot a bull elk with my bow, so it to is on the list too. My oh My! I shot my first Dall Sheep this year and would love to get another...my cousin wants me to take him caribou hunting. You get the picture, right?

Sorry for the divergent response, but there are so many options.

Welcome and congrats!!!

And that was the perfect response. (y)

Welcome to AH Burke,:S Welcome: from the end of the road (Seward) :D Beers:

Thanks for the pics I like the Kudu:A Way To Go:

Thanks, What is next and when is the big question. I have so many hunts on the list that I don't have an answer. Obviously I will hunt the local Alaskan big game, and time and money dictate what kind of outside hunts I can do in one year.
I have no hesitation about returning to South Africa to hunt. Would I want to see another part of the continent, you bet! What about New Zealand, yup!!! I left Montana before I had a chance to shoot a bull elk with my bow, so it to is on the list too. My oh My! I shot my first Dall Sheep this year and would love to get another...my cousin wants me to take him caribou hunting. You get the picture, right?

no probs as you say so many options in different parts of the world , but as i say africa doesnt stop at that limpopo thing....,or even that zambezi thing ;)...i have been told the gaps have been filled where only "dragons be here" .....:E Big Grin:

Great report! Good mix of game taking with the bow and rifle. They'll make some nice mounts.

Great report. Love those thick horns on that gemsbok.

Welcome and some great hunting done on that trip... well done!

Congrats! Great trophies. My buddy and I did exactly the same - 7 days hunting in Eastern Cape just the two of us and then the significant others joined us for a 10 day vacation. Photo Safari, Garden route, Cape Town, wineries, etc. Great memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois