Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member of,,Caribou Hunt Club, Stock and Barrel Pistol Range
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Well I've been back about a week Now and thought I'd better post something before my Old Timers Kicks in. I started e-mailing Chris about a year and a half ago basically trying to get as much out of a Africa trip as I could fit in 7 days,,I was going to celebrate a Milestone Birthday and wanted something I could remember. I wanted to Hunt but I also wanted to Tour a little. We bounced some ideas back and forth and decided on a Cull with the exception of a chance to take a Nice Kudu if the opportunity arose.I was picked up at Afton House by Chris and Sabina and we were off to Sabrissa..travelling on the left hand side of the road was a new experience. The first day started at about 5:30 and altho a breakfest was offered I passed, wasn't sure how my system would react to the time change. I was packing my 375HH Monster and as I fell in the ditch trying to jump over it I can't imagine what Chris and his Tracker Sammie must have thought..I guess I just didn't figure in the weight differential of the telephone poll 375HH is had over my shoulder when I estimated the jump. as we walked up the trail I was sure every wild animal in SA could hear me between almost tripping over rocks and roots and swearing at myself under my breath for not getting in better shape. This is only Sunday, Christ am I in Trouble. Later on in the evening after acouple cold Windhoaks a little Red wine and my first taste of Sabina's Cooking Chris mentioned that tomorrow we'll take the land Rover up, I had you walk it today so I could see what kind of shape you were in,,,I thought to my self 200 yds from the ranch I fall in a ditch should be a pretty good indication what kind of shape I'm in. by 9 :eek: pm all this Bwana wants to do is take a shower and fall into bed,, Day 2-3-4 coming up

DSC00041.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00041.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to your report Rob.

Glad you are getting after it before you forget you were even on the plane. :)

Always good to be tested on the first day and then be let in on the plan. Nothing wrong with taking the lift up the ski hill.

Great start.

Earth to Rob :) catch your breath...

Type slower so we can get the full story. :D We do not want you out of breath for the story.

And pictures to add to the story...(y)

Very good Rob. Congrats.

Congrats Rob can't wait for the rest of the story.

Love that we can see you taking the picture of the "hut." Now finish writing!!! :)

x2

Day Two,,up a 5:30 I'm surprised on how good I'm feeling, Sabina's got coffee ready I give up the 375 HH for the Lighter CZ 308 ,,we jump in the Land rover and were off. We got High up on Chris's property and have spotted several groups of Kudu but just can't get into a positive shooting position.In the afternoon we hunt another property and I take a Cull Female Impala. I think Chris was relieved that I was able to get a shot and give my ego a boost. We dine on Impala Tonight,
The next Morning we hunt Chris's property all day. see more Kudu but the swirling wind and the Baboons are keeping them a safe distance.
Wednesday after a hunting in the Morning taking lunch during the heat of the day we Head out,,Chris and I are on top looking down into a medium size clearing and Sammie circles down to let the Kudu catch his Scent while we get set up Maybe an hour or so goes by and Chris and Sammie are on the walkies. Chris says get ready and Iv'e got the Carbine on the Sticks and the scope opened up to get the biggest look I can. all of a sudden My Scope picks up a Female, I whisper to Chris Female,,Female,,Female as I was Counting,,Female again.Female,,all of a sudden My Scope picks up the Head of the Male as he came into the Cross hairs,I whisper Male,,I settle just behind his left front leg and Pull the Trigger.I seem to remember not being in any rush and how calm I felt ,time just seemed to slow down, He seperates from the females Chris says you got him, good shot or like that I don,t remember anything for the next 30 seconds. It was a hell of a shot Downhill at about 200yds give or take, Fifteen minutes later after I stumble down the rocks I,m looking at my Trophy, I,m feeling Joy and also Sorrow, he's a Beauty,,We Take some Pictures . Is he a World Record sure he is He's my World Record!!And a day before my Birthday Chris Sure knows how to Plan things

Attachments

• DSC00070.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 273
  • DSC00071.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 268
Beautiful Kudu, congrats, he is nice and heavy!

way to go ,rob ,he is a bull and a half mate.
any photos of you going ass over tit ,in the ditch ?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

way to go ,rob ,he is a bull and a half mate.
any photos of you going ass over tit ,in the ditch ?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
No Thank God, I'm heading to the Range today and will finish up telling about my Bliesbuck, shooting a tree and my Nice Impala when I get Home

Beautiful Kudu, congrats, he is nice and heavy!
Thanks Enysse you hunted Sabrissa so you are aware of some of the terrain the property has

I like! Good memories too!

That really is a great bull Rob. No need to explain the smile on your face!!!! :)

Very nice bull sir

Very nice Kudu Rob, can't wait to hear the rest of you adventure.

Yeah that's a really nice looking bull! Good on ya!

Friday Morning on the road to hunt another property,,Riley's property has some a nice variety of land From heavy grassland to Bush We spot a Couple Bliesbuck and settle in to take a good clean Shot, one round behind the shoulder and He goes down . later we spot 2 Male Impala Joisting but they spot us and take off we move parrallel to them looking for another chance but their gone. About a half a Mile down the trail we spot a nice single male I get set up to take him but as I settle on him and squeeze the trigger another male appears, my Impala Moves and I wind up shooting a Tree. A while later I miss another along the property line,,Shit ,,Time for lunch, I need to change my luck.After lunch we head back to Rileys property and we spot a Nice Impala Sammie says it's the same one I missed earlier, we stalk him for a bit and I get a Clear shot and Drop him.
The next day I pack up and we head back towards Johannisburg. I still want to Visit the DeWildt Cheetah rescue Project,Visit Pilanesburg Game Reserve and Ride an Elephant.Sabina Has all the Arrangement made. We Tour Pillanesburg and Have a Picnic. later we Head to Tambo my time in SA has come to an end. Chris helps me threw customs and when I run into a problem because I can't have my leftover Ammo in my Suitcase we unpack and Chris Takes the Ammo Boxes get them wrapped up and checked through with my other Luggage. We head out to the bar and I have my last can of Windhoak .Time to get back to reality
I would like to Thank Chris and Sabina for making my dream a reality,,The hunting was all I could ask for the Food was outstanding, the Staff First was Class and my hosts beyond words,,

Attachments

• DSC00119.JPG
    10.1 MB · Views: 228
  • DSC00120.JPG
    9.7 MB · Views: 216
  • DSC00136.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 204
  • DSC00187.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 214
good stuff cobber.
wheres the photo of you on elephant back ?
glad your trip was successful and a great time was had ,mate .
thanks for sharing your memories ,robb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois