SOUTH AFRICA: My First Hunt With KMG Hunting Safaris Won’t Be My Last!!!

One month from today at this time we'll be tracking buffalo spoor! YES.

I hope to do the same some day... You guys are going to have a blast, wish i was counting down the days...

By the way have I mentioned lately that Marius has a passion for great customer service???
Stay tuned more of my report is soon to follow. Finishing up day 6 in a bit should have it posted this evening.

DAY 6
5:30 alarm wakes me in time for a quick cold shower for motivation as I’m still a bit groggy from yesterday’s long day. Once I have my things gathered and Lori up and moving, I head for the coffee pot. Greg and Graham show up and we discuss our departure plan. I make Lori a cup of coffee in hopes it might speed things up a bit. She is moving slow this morning as the long hot days are starting to weigh on her. Finally ready, we depart the lodge around 6:45 in search of that special Eland. After the 1.5 hour drive we arrive to the farm in a heavy fog. Greg and Graham sort out the details with the farm manager and we head out to scout with Lindile and our additional tracker for the day. As we enter the hunting area the fog is heavy but starting to lift as we stop on top on a mountain for a walk to glass the valley below.

DSCN5428.JPG
DSCN5427.JPG

Lori staying with Tasco at the truck for the first stalk of the morning, captures some photos of the view with the fog lifting. We get to the edge of the cliff, glass the valley with an absolutely stunning view overlooking a retired railroad grade but the fog is moving quickly and is much heavier in the lower area and hinders our view. We pause and wait for a bit and but decide to move on and search another area. Lori captures us walking back as we appear through the fog covered hillside.

IMG_20170518_085145695_HDR.jpg

DSCN5429.JPG

We drive around for a while glassing from the truck waiting for the fog to lift seeing a lot of animals but once again no eland to be found. Now with the fog slowly lifting, we stop at another area the tracker says is known to have eland. We exit the truck and head on a long slow walk down a steep fence row. The five of us head off as Lori slowly makes her way taking photos as she goes.

DSCN5432.JPG
DSCN5442.JPG

We make it to the edge of the steep drop off with an unbelievable view. With the fog mostly burned off the view is getting better by the minute. We set up on the edge and glass for nearly an hour. We spot several game animals from this vantage point just not what we are looking for. Greg spots some very large animals way off in the distance and gets our attention. After watching them for a bit we determine them to be giraffes nearly 2 miles away. We glass the area for a bit longer and decide to move on. There are several groups of animals in the photos Lori took just too far away to really tell what they are.

DSCN5443.JPG

We drive around for a while glassing the hillsides as we go. Not seeing a lot of movement we head for another well known area that eland seem to call home. The terrain consists of a lot of mountains so it takes a while to make a move working our way around them. We get to the spot where the farm tracker wants to stop and glass, we get out and go for another hike. With the temperature now warming up, we are hoping the Eland will be up moving and not bedded down making them more visible. As we work our way down another fence row, we set up on a hillside where we can glass several directions.

The view from this area is simply amazing and we can glass the valleys for miles. Right away we start seeing game milling about the area. We glass the area for a while, watching and listening. The sounds of the African bush are all we hear as nobody is saying a word.

DAY 6
Part 2 (not letting me attach photos)

As we sit glassing on the hillside soaking up the heat of the sun as it gets higher in the sky, I notice a pair of kudu cows bedded down behind a bush about 60 yards in front of us. I have no idea where they came from and I know I looked at that area several times already not seeing them. As I’m watching them, and thinking that’s why they are called the gray ghosts, Greg softly says Eland. We watch a group of cows and calves make their way up a trail and across the hillside following a fence row. Greg tells us there are 2 bulls still bedded down just below where the cows were first spotted. I ask him for a landmark where they are, he responds under the bush next to the dead tree. After Greg and Graham discuss the size of them for a bit, Greg calls the farm tracker down to where we are. He points to the direction the bulls are bedded and they talk in Afrikaans discussing a plan. The whole time I am trying to find where they see them. Finally after several minutes I see one laying next to a bush tucked into the shade. Simply amazed that Greg even spotted the animal is one thing, being able to identify it as a bull worth looking at closer is another. After a lengthy discussion a plan is set and we decide to work our way to the other side of the mountain where we can use the wind to our favor as me make our stalk.

It’s now around noon and we decide to eat our lunch as we make the drive because it’s going to take us an hour or so to make our way around the mountain and back down the other side. A bite to eat, and the hot sun now beating on the truck, Graham is having a hard time staying with us as we work our way through the terrain. I think he is dreaming about seeing sheep jumping over the moon as we round the corner to see a group of them standing in a field. Lori snaps a photo again capturing the moment.

IMG_20170518_124114001_HDR.jpg

We make our way around to the other side and work our way to the bottom of the first valley. We stop along a fence row that splits two areas with a ridge we will work our way up. We stop grab the sticks and Browning and make our way to a lookout area above where we last saw them. Lori and Tasco decide to stay at the truck and patiently wait to hear the gunshot and our return.

DSCN5445.JPG

IMG_20170518_114816941.jpg

Well she waited and waited never hearing a gunshot, but about an hour after we left her and Tasco at the truck we returned with no shots fired. As we made our way near the area we last spotted the bulls bedded, Greg said they were gone. We walked over to the have a look at the bush by the dead tree the big bull was bedded next to and all we found was his fresh pile of poo. After finding the track we headed in the direction they left in, stopping at the next ridge to glass the valley below. As we stand for a bit you could hear the sound of rocks crashing and suddenly a cow and calf appear. We watch them as they make their way up the hillside in short order, waiting for the bulls to follow. We wait for a while but no bull ever shows its face. The trackers walk up to locate the tracks and based on what they found, they believe the bulls went the other direction and have made it over the next mountain.

Once back to the truck it’s now around 1pm the second day hunting and still no good sightings of a mature bull. We make a plan to drive up and around the mountain where the trackers believe the bulls might have gone. As we get to the top of that mountain we once again have a spectacular view in many directions. Before we head in the direction the big bull is believed to have gone, Greg spots a large group of eland way, way off in the distance as they walk up a power line. We turn our focus on that group as it appears two in them in the group are much larger than the rest. Lori took a great photo that shows them way off in the distance and a zoomed in photo as they work their way over the top.
DSCN5454.JPG

DSCN5451.JPG

After glassing for a bit and a conversation between Greg and the tracker, we decide to stay put and watch this group for a while longer. The discussion is to watch this group as they look to be feeding up towards the flat on top on the mountain. Our only quick way to them is follow the mountain we are on around and drive the power line over to a trail that runs along the bottom of the mountain the eland are on. The only way to make this happen, we would need them to all be over the top so they don’t see us coming up the power line as they would spook and run off. It wasn’t long and the group of abound 15 eland were out of sight and we were off to catch up with them. We quickly get across the mountain side and up the power line trail, hopefully without them spooking and running off.
On our way we pass a bush with beautiful pink and yellow flowers as Graham says that’s the South Africa National Flower the King Protea. Greg stops briefly for Lori to snap a couple quick photos and we are back in hot pursuit after the eland.

DSCN5431.JPG

We made our way up the far side of the mountain as far as we could by truck and parked by a fence row next to the retired railroad grade. As we look to the mountain face ahead, Greg says do you think you’re up for that climb. I quickly say let’s do it as Lori says how far? Greg replied the eland should be on the flat at the top. Lori looks the hillside over and decides to make the truck and the view around her happy place for the next few hours. We leave Tasco at the truck with Lori and make our journey up the steep mountain face. We work our way zigzagging as we go to make it a bit easier of a climb. Lori is in her element with a camera and plenty of space on the memory card and takes a few photos of us as we make our way.

DSCN5458.JPG

It takes us over an hour to work our way to the top. I didn’t realize when I looked at the climb there would be 2 parts to it. Well after a long climb and a few breaks to catch my breath we make it to the summit and wouldn’t you know it…. NO FREAKING ELAND!!!

We talk about a plan for a bit and decide to use the radios and go in separate directions. Lindile went to the front side as we headed for the far side looking back toward the power lines where they came from.

As we made our way Lindile whistled and got our attention. He points down the mountain in our direction. Finally my heart gets pumping from adrenaline and we move quickly to the edge for a look.

We stop at the edge but see nothing. Suddenly Greg says there they are moving towards the bottom. He says we need to move quickly but quietly. Yeah right, I’m not sure that is possible with what we just went through. We make our move and close the gap quickly. We are now within 300 yards of them but they are in thick cover. We find a big bush between us and make a move to it using it as cover. We are now within 200 yards but can just see their backs and horns as they move through the thick bush. Without having a lot of cover between them and us, Greg decides to stay put and see what they do. The group splits up a bit and half of them begin to feed our way. After over an hour from this spot the eland are not making a lot of progress. Its now been over 2 hours so I look at my phone and see I have coverage. I sent Lori a text message telling her what’s going on and explain we are within shooting range; we just need the big one to show. After a bit longer the rest of them feed in our direction and the discussion begins between Greg and Graham. Greg says to me we believe the big one is the last one on the right behind the bush. Graham confirms and says he’s a very big bull with heavy horns but he just can’t see his face or body that well yet.. My heart starts beating, I’m shaking and I’m not even on the sticks yet. Suddenly Greg says ok get your gun ready, he’s going to make a move soon. I put my 300 on the sticks and search for the big boy in the bush. He steps out and Graham said that’s him. He moves in behind a group of cows and Greg asks Graham if he got a good look. Graham said yes but I still couldn’t see his face to tell if he had the brush we are looking for. The bull turns and moves right, Greg says to me it’s up to you if you take him. He said he’s big, the biggest we have seen in 2 days but I don’t know if he’s the biggest one here. The bull moves up on a small rise and is standing quartering away. With my crosshairs just behind the shoulder Greg says, take him now if you want to just dont shoot him high. Those were the words I was looking for. I take a deep breath, steady myself and squeeze the trigger. The bull jumps high in the air as all the others run off down the mountain. Greg pauses for a moment and says he’s down; YES he’s down great shot my friend. We go to look for him and find blood everywhere. It looked like a truckload of blood was dumped in the area. We quickly found the eland and there was a moment of silence. At first when I saw it laying on the ground I thought I shot the wrong one, then I thought did my bullet pass through and hit another. Greg looking at the bull laying on the ground says, YES how did that happen… I replied, what did I do shoot a cow. Greg laughed and said NO this is a very old bull. Then I noticed the large exit wound in the lower neck area. That explains the amount of blood on the ground and all over the bull. We roll him over and notice my bullet hit a bit forward on the shoulder and with the angle exited out the windpipe. Looking him over I notice he doesn’t have much of a brush or even much of a dewlap but I’m still pleased with my eland. I quickly called Lori, told her the good news and said Greg and I are going to come back to the truck and drive around.

We clean him up the best we can, snap a couple fast photos and we are off to get Lori, Tasco and the truck.

IMG_20170518_160435479.jpg

IMG_20170518_160937548.jpg

We made it to the truck, gave Tasco a drink of water, and headed off around the mountain. On our dive I asked lori if she was getting worried being there all alone. She said I wasn’t alone I had my camera and Tasco to keep me company. She also discovered she had cell coverage and called home and spoke with the kids.

DSCN5459.JPG

DSCN5463.JPG

DSCN5465.JPG

IMG_20170518_135607590.jpg

While we were gone, the tracker ran over the other side of the mountain and got a hold of the farm help to come help load him up. As we were making the drive around mountain we met up with them and followed them up to my eland. We make our way back as the sun is fading fast. Park the truck as close as we can get it and walk down to him. Lori is amazed at the size of the animal and says how are you going to get him out of here. We quickly take some photos with Lori and I then the team does their work to lighten the load for the 500 yard carry uphill to the truck.

DSCN5470.JPG

DSCN5472.JPG

DSCN5483.JPG

IMG_20170518_171546891_HDR.jpg

With the eland loaded up and the sun setting fast we scramble to make sure everything else is in the truck as Lori takes a few last minute photos of the area and we head off to the skinning shed.

DSCN5484.JPG

DSCN5485.JPG

DSCN5487.JPG

After loading up we fellow the trackers and farm help as they take a shortcut over the mountain to the skinning shack. Turns out the farm house we started our morning at, is just on the other side of the mountain where we finished or day. Lindile and the tracker made quick work of skinning him in the dark with little light as Lori and I were treated to a tour of the farmhouse by the owners and their daughter. It was a great pleasure meeting the owners and they graciously offered us an Eland Tenderloin to cook at camp. Once they were done, we loaded up and made the long journey back to Mpunzi. On our drive back we chat about the day and talk about the plan for day 7 Friday. When we arrive at Mpunzi we are again the last ones back and walk through the doors to what looked to be a somber bunch. As I approach the bar area where everyone is sitting there is a hush about the room. Finally Kurt spoke up and said, what did you do today? I in a very tired voice said not much, just shot an Eland. It was then I got bombarded with questions. Kurt replied he heard I shot my eland then said Marius was very upset about it. I told Kurt he should be happy for me, I worked my ass off for it. Greg, the other hunter in our group said he had a successful day as well and said Houdini was in the salt. I congratulate him and tell the guys I am going to go change and put my things away before dinner. As I walk out I see Greg and Marius talking on the deck. I walk past and go to my room, change clothes, freshen up a bit and head back over for dinner. When I walk back I see Marius setting alone and stop to talk with him. I said I hear your not happy with my eland, he replies can we talk after dinner. I say sure and explain I am very pleased with what I took. He stands up shakes my hand, congratulates me for a successful day and we head in for dinner. After dinner we have a couple drinks and trade stories of the day before we decide to call it a night. Tomorrow we leave at 6am in search of blue duiker.

By the way have I mentioned lately that Marius has a passion for great customer service???
Stay tuned more of my report is soon to follow. Finishing up day 6 in a bit should have it posted this evening.
I have to agree. Whenever I wanted to speak to him on whatsapp he has made himself available. Weather it's been during convention season or evenings after a hunt I have always been able to get a hold of him. That to me means a lot. During our conversation's he has always wanted to make sure my hunt will be exactly what I want. Even during the several times I drove him a bit crazy about hippo hunting, cancel , no go ,no cancel. I m really looking forward to meeting him. We've spoken many times since I ve become a member, many times I just called to get his opinion. And of course I m looking forward to the hunt! Besides the excitement of my first buffalo hunt I am super excited to add some more plains game to the room. Mainly Val Rhebok which I ve wanted to hunt for some time. Should be exciting.

Reactions: BWH
I was a bit hesitant to post the "TALK" Marius and I had or even include the part of Marius being upset simply because I just wasn't sure how some people would take it. I decided to do a separate post of our talk opposed to including it in my daily report. After much thought and personal debate, I feel this should be shared with all as another way to show the passion Marius has for his sport, his job, his business, his career and most importantly His Clients!!!

Marius- As I have told you several times now, You , My Friend are an awesome man and a True Sportsman. But most of all a very passionate business person that will go more than the extra mile for your clients. I very happy to call you my brother of the bush... I WILL hunt with you again!!

THE TALK

As we walked out the door headed to bed Marius said John can we talk real quick. Lori carried on getting ready for bed as Marius and I have a talk on the deck. I started the conversation, telling Marius before you say anything; I understand you are not happy about my eland, but I want you to know I shot the eland because I wanted to. I quickly explained the situation and made it clear it was my choice. I told him what Greg said to me as I was on the sticks waiting for the shot, and explained neither Greg nor Graham ever made me feel pressured to shoot him.

Marius listened to me and said I know you’re happy with your eland, and I know you worked hard to get him but; I’m just not happy with him. You see John; I have this thing about the animals my clients shoot. I want them to be big, massive, very nice trophies. You see this thing I talk about, I call it my OCD for quality animals and I make sure my clients all go home with the quality I expect.

We chat for a bit longer, talk about the art of business and the passion for client satisfaction we share, then Marius says; John I want to make you and offer. I want you to go out and hunt another eland, and I will work hard to find you a massive bull. He tells me if I can get you onto one of the places I have in mind you will have a very good chance to shoot a monster bull. He then says here’s the deal. If I can organize one of these concessions for you to hunt, I want you to go hunt another eland. If you shoot a second one you only pay for that one. If you choose to keep your first one or are not successful with another one, you get your first one for half price.

Feeling a bit perplexed by this offer, I reply that’s an amazing gesture Marius, but you don’t need to do this. He said I know I don’t have too; I want to and really want you to go out and get a bigger bull. We shake hands; I again thank him and say we will talk tomorrow. Just before I head off to bed I turn back to him and say. Marius, this OCD you speak of; I too have a bad case of it. So bad that I call it CDO, my case is so bad that I must alphabetize it. We laugh a bit and head off for a good night’s sleep. As I get to our room, Lori still getting ready for bed asks what was that all about. I tell her Marius wants me to shoot another eland and not pay for the first one. Her response was; NO WAY, you have an Eland as her voice sounds like she’s had enough eland hunting. I tell her quickly about our conversation and fall asleep dreaming about the blue duiker I’m about to hunt.

Man if that don't speak volumes about the man nothing does!

Marius has OCD, I would never of guessed that ;) . That shows the kind of person Marius is and why I returned to hunt with him in 2017 and will hunt with him again in the future.

And this is part of the reason I booked with him amongst other reasons. I have always been impressed by our email and phone conversations we've had since I became a member. He offered advise whenever I asked. I'll finally get to meet him and hunt with him in less than four weeks. My feelings are we're going to get along just fine.

Johnnyblues you have picked a great outfit to hunt with Marius is very easy to get along with. I can't wait to read your report, I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on the buff hunt, I hoping when I do decide to pull the trigger he has the Buff/Hyena combo hunt available like he had this year.

KMG has been on my short list for some time..... I think the rest of the list has just been crossed off.

LR

As I stated earlier, I've been to SA twice now with 2 different outfitters. I have no plan to look any further now. KMG is top notch for sure.

I am going to be hunting with Marius one year from tomorrow. For the same reasons @johnnyblues and the others above have mentioned. It's going to be a LONG year!

I am going to be hunting with Marius one year from tomorrow. For the same reasons @johnnyblues and the others above have mentioned. It's going to be a LONG year!

You are in for a treat. At least you have a date to look forward to. I am at the planning stages all over again. Just spent a great day yesterday with the group that went in May. We looked at pictures for a while then met up with my taxidermist who took us to a couple really nice trophy rooms at his clients house and his shop. It's a great way to see animals you have taken and will be mounting.

That's going above and beyond @KMG Hunting Safaris .

Not many would do what you did. The high quality of your animals always shows it too.

Day 7

Wake again very early and get ready for the day. I gather my stuff for the day and head for the coffee pot. Excited for my day’s events, I get around quickly as Lori again is moving a bit slower as the week progresses. As Greg and I make a plan for the morning over coffee, Lori gets up and around. The morning sunrise is beautiful and I encourage her to move quickly as I want to take a photo of her with the sunrise on the deck before we depart. Greg says we need to stop and get fuel so we must get going soon. We take a quick photo and load our things in the truck for the 1.5 hour drive to the coast in search of a Blue Duiker.
Lori day 7 sunrise.jpg

Our destination for the day is a pineapple farm along the coastal area that is known to have a good amount of Blue Duiker. At dinner last night I learn about the property owner and find out he is quit a funny man. One of the guys in our group hunted his property earlier in the week for Caracal and said we are in for many laughs. He is known to play pranks on his hunters and loves to have fun joking around with them. We discuss a plan to play a prank on him over drinks after dinner last night. Upon our arrival to the farm, we are greeted by the owner who I will refer to as “Joker” the rest of the day. We discuss the hunting plan for the day and were quickly briefed on the lay of the land we would be hunting. He asks me if I have experience hunting with a shotgun and I explain my childhood passion was rabbit hunting with hounds and I also am a bird hunter and shoot skeet. His response was the first joke of the day as he replied oh great maybe you should use a 22… We laughed a bit and after gathering the dogs and handler we headed to the truck to begin our quest.

As we open the doors to get into the truck, the Joker says to me, you set in the front. I respond, no you can, I’ll set in back so you can show Greg where he’s going. He was quick to respond in a joking voice, OK but I really wanted to sit in the back with your wife. I chuckled and said, oh you mean my sister, I’m gay and you hunted caracal with my husband a couple days ago. His jaw dropped and was speechless as we load into the truck for one of the most memorable hunts of the trip. Knowing he has a thing for pulling pranks and his vocal jokes made when Terry hunted caracal with him, this was the perfect set up for what would be a great day of laughter.

We head off to our first stop as Joker tells us stories of hunts from the past, stopping to drop off the dogs and handler at the beginning of a thick ditch area separating 2 pineapple fields for our first run. We drop them off and move into position towards the end of the ditch that he expects the duiker to pass through. We get set up with Greg running video, Lori running snapshot and Joker standing behind me calling the shot. The plan is he will identify it animal and either tap me or tell me when to shoot.

DSCN5505.JPG

DSCN5499.JPG

Just after we get set up the dogs pick up scent and begin to work the track barking or (giving tongue) as Joker says. Hearing the dogs’ way off in the distance, he asks me if I am ready. I say yes I think so, he says take the safety off you won’t have time to do it when you’re ready to shoot. I take the safety off and ready the 12 gauge over/under for a shot. He tells me softly they could from the opening right in front of us or the one to the left. As I look for the openings he speaks of, I see nothing that resembles an opening but scan the area left to right in preparation of their arrival. As the sounds of the dogs giving tongue gets closer he says get ready. Suddenly he pokes me in the back and says yeah, yeah shoot. I lift the gun to my shoulder take aim and fire a shot hitting way behind the blurred streak that passed by us at a very high rate of speed. I shake my head in amazement at the speed these small animals move, and take some ribbing as Joker says that one was only moving in second gear. As we walk out to the truck he tells me that was the easy spot and the next place we are going they run past in 7th gear and 7000 rpm’s.

We make a move and set up at the second spot on the edge of the pineapple field where Joker says they usually run out. We were set up there for about 15 minutes with Lindile down below us at the creeks edge as a blocker. Suddenly Lindile starts yelling and jumping around. He sees the duiker coming and tries to turn it around so it will run up to where we are. His plan does not work and the duieker runs past him full speed. Lindile grabs the dog as it makes it way to him and we pick up to make a move. As we are walking back to the truck Joker is telling us one time that happened and they gave up thinking that hunt was over as another one ran right past them. He no sooner said that and we saw another duiker run right out of the area we were set up watching. We walk over look at his tracks; I take a photo of my thumb next to it and we move on to the next spot. I gave him Chit for a while for jinxing us at that spot.

DSCN5514.JPG

IMG_20170519_112642174.jpg

We get to the next area, once again drop the dogs and handler off at one end of the ditch then drive around the field and stop midway at a crossing. We get set up and watching the direction Joker expects them to come from and wait, and wait and wait some more. The dogs were having a hard time with the scent at this spot and were working slowly back and forth the wide area. We faintly hear one of the dogs pick up on a trail and Joker says here they come. Patiently waiting I watch the areas he points out as the common spots they cross. The dogs all on the track now and getting closer suddenly sound like they are tracking it away from us. Joker says chit it crossed the creek and is running on the other side. Sure enough we wait listen and finally see the dogs as they run way across the other side of the creek that we are set up next to. Joker says we need to move up the hill a bit and focus the other direction. We make a quick move and soon the dogs sound like they have turned and are working back the other direction.

Joker says softly get ready the dogs are working it back this way. We listen to the dogs work the track slowly getting closer when Joker suddenly says yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! He saw the duiker way before I could pick it up and by the time I had the bead on him I once again got a shot off hitting just behind the streaking duiker. Joker laughs and says, now that one was moving… We laugh about the experience as he says, that was the last easy spot we have to hunt, from here on the shots are going to get really tough. We walk back to the truck and wait for the handler to gather up the dogs as they continue to run the track.

DSCN5534.JPG

DSCN5533.JPG

After a quick rest as we wait to gather the dogs, we load up and regroup for the next spot. On our way I get a bit more ribbing from Joker and he says this will be out last spot before we break for lunch and give the dogs a rest. We drop the handler and dogs and drive to an area Joker again says they always cross. As we get out of the truck I tell Joker I’ve missed twice now so the third time is a charm, he laughs and said I think the first two were charming.

We walk up a gravel road on the farm that separates two pineapple fields Joker leading the way, stops in the road and points to a trail up in front of us. The trail looks to be heavily used and leads into the thick bushy ditch where the blue duikers like to call home. He says do you think you can shoot that spot from here; I chuckle and say you’re kidding right. Just as he was telling us they almost always cross the road right at this spot, we hear the dogs hot on the trail giving tongue as they move quickly towards us.

Getting closer and closer the dogs bark is getting louder and louder, all the sudden I see a dog but no duiker. Just at that moment I hear a person yelling and clapping down in the ditch behind us about 50 yards. Joker says the damn thing didn’t come out he passed right by us in the thick stuff. Not even knowing Joker placed a blocker in the ditch and he was able to turn the duiker around. The dogs were now barking as if they were nipping at the heels of the duiker and very close to us. I caught a bit of movement to my right; I lift the gun, take the safety off and out jump the duiker running full tilt. Making sure there is no dog near, I lead him about a body length and squeeze the trigger. As I shoot, my wife to my right taking pictures, and Greg to my left running video, both capture some of the greatest memories of the entire trip. The duiker flips over, rolls to a stop as the dogs come and join us in the celebration of success.

IMG_20170724_005748.jpg

IMG_20170724_010935.jpg

IMG_20170724_011432.jpg

We celebrate the success for a bit, take some more ribbing from Joker as he tells me that is a bit of a small one, then go to an area up the road a bit for photos. We stop at a small stream that looks like we are in the tropics. Lori in heaven with the view gets into her photo taking while Greg and Lindile place the Duiker in the perfect place and cleans him up for photos. Lori is so busy taking her own photos she almost forgets about being in the photos with me.

DSCN5543.JPG

DSCN5547.JPG

We take several beautiful photos then load back into the truck to head back to Jokers house for lunch. We get to Jokers house, drop him off and run back out to find a place we can get a photo real quick with the sky and terrain in the background. After a few more photos, we head back to the house, drop Lindile off to skin out the duiker and have lunch.

DSCN5556.JPG

IMG_20170724_012051.jpg

Over lunch and a cold drink, we discussed the plan for the rest of the day. We tell Joker we are also in search of a warthog and he tells us there are several really nice boars around the property. We finish up our lunch, grab the trackers and dogs and head off in search of a big hog. Not long after we leave the house Greg stops the truck and says wow, it’s a bit late in the year to see them. I look around the truck and see nothing. Greg says look in the road, al the sudden Lori about jumps in my lap as we see about a 3’ snake in the road. The snake is just setting there motionless so I try to get a photo of it out the window. Lori said what is it, Joker said no need to worry about it if you get bit you won’t live long enough to feel much pain. We laugh a bit and Greg says give me your camera ill get better photos, as he gets out and walks right up to the puff adder. We tell the trackers they need to move it off the road so we can move on, they both say hell no in Afrikaans and probably some other choice things and we drive on as the snake moves on through the grass.

IMG_20170519_130338644.jpg

IMG_20170519_130422069.jpg

We go to an area where Joker said a big boar has been seen out around a waterhole over the last week or so and make a stalk. Lori now thinking there are snakes everywhere is hesitant to get out of the truck but we convince her that was just a chance sighting. Up the hillside we go thinking as the day is now near peak heat we should find hogs at the water. We get close and hear a noise in the valley that I am thinking are hogs feeding just to get closer and find a group of impala running and chasing each other around.

We hang out there for a bit glassing and waiting for a boar to appear, not seeing anything we decide to move on. Joker tells us his daughter is stopping by for the evening and wants to join us on the hunt. We stop by another area where we have a good view and glass for a bit seeing some hogs out feeding but no big boar.

DSCN5586.JPG

We head back to the house meeting Jokers daughter, she jumps in with us and we set off to another well known area that warthogs come out to feed in the afternoon. We stop on top of a steep hillside and glass for a bit. Right away we see hogs feeding in a field at the bottom of the valley. We watch them for a while and decide to drive down the hill more and park and stalk for a better look. We park in an area where we can glass seeing the hogs below and see a real nice boar that had just came out into the field. Greg, Lindile and I jump out and start our journey down the hillside.

DSCN5583.JPG

Everyone else stayed at the truck watching the hogs feed as we worked our way closer. We made it within 300 yards of the boar and had a group of sows and little ones between us. We decided to tuck back into the bush and move around them. We get set up around 160 yards away and wait and wait and wait. The big boar had fed past a group of others and was not in a good place for a shot. Finally after about 30 minutes he turned and made his way back in clear view. With him now in my scope, I wait for the other hogs around to clear, he turns broadside and I squeeze the trigger. We hear the bullet hit with a loud thawap and off they go. We wait for a bit Greg talking to Lindile and says he’s hit hard.

Lindile telling Greg he thinks I hit one of the other hogs in the butt as it ran in front of the boar just as I squeezed the trigger. We get up to where they were and right away see sign on the ground. What I saw laying on the ground simply amazed me that an animal could run with that much meat loss. There was a chunk of meat larger than a full family could eat at dinner with very little blood. Greg and I watch the video and think I hit the boar high in the shoulder as you could see a big red spot on it as it ran off. We watched the video a few more times and waited for the rest of the group to come with the dogs.

We take off on a blood trail and track the hog about 80 yards to a really big deep hole. Greg takes my gun and approaches the hole with caution. The dogs runny in and out barking like crazy all the way in. We are determined the animal is in the hole but it’s so deep we can hardly hear the dogs bark when they go in all the way. We go back to the truck, grab flashlights and the rest of the group and head back to the hole. We all get to hole as the dogs are still going in and out barking like they have a wounded animal at bay. We discuss our options as Joker tells the trackers to grab the flashlight and go in after the hog. They all laugh about it and we decide it’s just too risky to go in and its way to deep to dig to him. After some discussion we decide to call it off and move on.

Disappointed that I wounded an animal, I tell Greg we can call it a day if he wanted to. Joker said you have light left and at least it’s a cheap animal that we lost. He told a few more jokes to lighten the moment and we soon start another stalk. By time we made it to the area we saw another large boar, they had fed to the other side of a fence and out of sight. With daylight fading quickly, we work our way through the flat bottom of the valley we were in seeing nothing else and decided to call it a day. As we made it back to Jokers house, Lori takes some photos of the homestead, uses the facilities and we say our goodbyes. As we are shaking hands before we depart, Joker tells me; John you will be the talk of many, many more of my hunts. He says I can hardly wait to tell my mates about you and tell them I finally met someone that beat me at my own game. I will never forget you, your sister or your husband… We have another good laugh a good hug and load up for the long ride back to Mpunzi.

We make it back to Mpunzi we see we are the last ones back with them waiting dinner on us once again. We walk through the door to a lively group with the shot glasses setting on the bar and a few empties to show they had a good time waiting our return. We see Marius wife Kim has joined us for the weekend and will be taking the girls shopping tomorrow. Greg didn’t share the news with anyone yet and im quickly bombarded with questions about the days hunt. I tell them of my success and the defeat of the hog and go to my room for a quick shower before dinner. During dinner an awesome dinner prepared by Nichole and Michelle, we discuss our day as a group and I tell everyone how Joker opened the door for me to beat him at his own prankster game. The lodge is full as its Friday and Kim, Michelle and the boys joins us for dinner. We laughed through dinner and well into the night over a few drinks as we discussed the plan with Marius, and Greg for a day of fishing tomorrow. Before I headed off to bed Marius says, John I think I have a great place for you to hunt Eland on Sunday. I will know for sure by the time you get back from fishing tomorrow. We head off to bed to get some sleep before I spend the day fishing the Indian Ocean and Lori finally gets to go shopping.

If someone could tell me how to post I have a couple videos of the blue duiker hunt I can post. I've tried everything I can they just won't load.

If someone could tell me how to post I have a couple videos of the blue duiker hunt I can post. I've tried everything I can they just won't load.

Post them to YouTube and link them here. You can set it so that the public can't see if you wish using link only.

I'm assuming Joker is Robin? If so, he's definitely a lot of fun and he knows those blue duiker. Some of the misses he told you about were likely mine. LOL

Man, I had no idea those Duiker were such fun. Great post! Loved it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross