SOUTH AFRICA: My First Hunt With KMG Hunting Safaris Won’t Be My Last!!!

Thanks guys, I am working on the rest. Was hoping to get a lot done today but got sidetracked for most of the day at the hospital with my 20 year old daughter and a kidney stone.

Day 4

Not real early to rise this morning as we are not leaving until 7, prep for the day away and meet Greg and Graham for coffee and breakfast. Graham not only one of the camps cooks but he is also a PH and decides to tag along with us for the day. After a quick bite we grab Lindile and head off towards Port Elizabeth. On our drive we discuss our plan and decide to spend the first half of the day spot and stalking with my bow. As we enter the gate we immediately start to see game. The animals are a bit stirred up and on high alert because there was a hunter on the property at first light hunting zebra. We arrived at the farm around 830 and the zebra hunter was already successful and gone. We drive into the farmhouse and meet with the owner to discuss the plan. We grabbed one of the farm help to be with us for the day and left Lori and Graham with him and Lindile as Greg and I made our way around the edge of an open area in search of a warthog.

As we make it to the backside of the first field the group of warthogs we were stalking got real uneasy and eventually ran off. Greg decided to carry on as there was plenty of cover on the other side and we saw lots of different game far off in the distance. It wasn’t taking long for the morning to heat up and the sun was out with very little clouds. We worked our way through the cover stopping in the shade for breaks as we made our way. As we were hunkered down in the shade of a thorn tree, we could hear warthogs grunting and clicking their teeth so we decided to stay put for a bit. Several animals passed through as Greg ran my video camera to capture memories for me. I was simply amazed at the number of species we were encountering on this property. Nothing was coming within shooting distance that I wanted to shoot so we made a plan to sneak along the shaded area and try not to be seen. That turned out to be very difficult as there was game everywhere. At one time we had impala, warthog, zebra, waterbuck, springbuck, ostrich and even giraffe within a hundred yards of us. Finally we spot a very nice Nyala bull about 200 yards away and we make a plan to get closer. He is all alone in the area and there is plenty of cover so it sounds promising. We take our time stopping a few times to wait for other game to move through without spooking them as Greg gets more video footage. We were within 20 yards of a shooter impala but I wanted to focus on the Nyala. We make our way within a hundred yards from the big bull when suddenly; out pop 2 younger bulls. I turn to Greg and ask where did they come from? He responded same place Houdini went… Great now we have more sets of eyes to deal with. We made a plan to work our way down the hill in hopes of cutting him off and sit there for 30 minutes or so but the big bull never showed up. We decide to head back up the hill and see if we can find him but he is nowhere to be found. By now it’s been almost 3 hours and Greg is not able to reach Graham on the radio so we make a plan to work our way back towards the farm house. On our way back we come across another Nyala bull, not as big as the last one but it would be a decent one to take with a bow. We make a great stalk but just cannot get closer than 60 yards. With the wind as it is I really would like to get within 30 yards if possible but would take a 40 yard shot if it was a good one. Being unable to get closer before it runs off we head to the truck where everyone is excited to see us, even Tasco.

DSCN5078.JPG

DSCN5095.JPG

We decide to go to a local place about 20 minutes away to grab some lunch. Turns out it’s the same place we ate the day we toured Addo Elephant Park. We eat lunch, get a cold drink and sit in the shade for a bit before we head back for the afternoon hunt. On our way back Greg and I talk over a plan. Lori really wants to walk with us so we decide to leave the bow, grab the gun and continue our quest for the big bull we saw earlier. Not long into our walk we once again started seeing game. They were defiantly on high alert and very spooky. As we made our way through the open fields we finally made it to some cover. We waited there for a bit and took off in the direction we last saw the big bull. I caught a glimpse of what I thought was 2 younger Nyala bulls, but it turned out to be a young bull and a bushbuck ram. Graham now running the video and Lori following close behind with the camera we were destine to capture some amazing footage as the day unfolds. We move off through the bushy thorn trees using them as cover when Greg quickly sets up the sticks. I do not even hesitate or question him as I rest my Browning X-bolt in place. I see legs behind the bush about a hundred yards away, steady through the scope and he turns and walks away. Greg reaches for the sticks and whispers come let’s go to the other side quickly, that’s him… My heart is racing, can barely catch my breath as we move around the other side of the big thorn bush. Graham and Lori follow close behind. There he is what a beautiful animal. He steps out, pauses for pictures then walks behind another bush. Not alarmed of us at all he continues to feed and gives me a moment to gather myself and steps out broadside. Greg whispers ok take him when you’re ready. Crosshairs on his shoulder, he turns just slightly quartering away and I squeeze the trigger. He bucks in the air like a mule; Greg says great shot my friend, great shot. It takes a moment for it to sink in then we walk up to see him laying just 20 yards from where he was standing as I shot. Some high fives from everyone, a kiss from my ever so patient wife and it’s time for photos with my second animal with KMG 2017. And what a magnificent specimen he is.

DSCN5096.JPG

DSCN5097.JPG

DSCN5099.JPG

DSCN5105.JPG

IMG_20170516_133413695.jpg

After photos we load the Nyala in the truck and head back to the farm and skinning shack. Upon arrival to the farm Greg spots a decent warthog feeding in the field the other side of the horse pasture. He asks me if I want to grab my bow and make a move closer to him. We use the horses and a small section of trees to hide and talk over a plan. We set up between the fence and a tree and wait for the hog to feed our way. Graham is tucked in the trees behind us again running the video camera. We wait about 20 minutes or so as the hog decides to go the opposite direction. We decide to make a move and get to the edge of the field. As we start to move my elbow hits the fence with a loud snap I almost pissed myself. The jolt nearly makes me drop my bow and Greg chuckles at my reaction. Once I regain composer we decided to put a stalk across the field to close the gap for a possible shot. We make quick moves as the hog is facing away from us with a strong wind in our face. We close the gap to about 60 yards when the hog noticed something different in the field. Not being able to pick up our scent and he's lack of good vision he trots towards us. With him no at around 35 yards I'm getting excited. He's focused hard on us as we are crouched down and motionless. Suddenly he spins around and runs about 50 yards and stops. We wait for a short while until he settles down and begins to feed again. We make another move and choose to stand and walk as he is facing away. We are able to make several quick moves and again close the gap. This time we make it to 40 yards. Greg asks how close we need to be for this one. I tell him, with this strong wind I would at least like to get to 30. At that moment he once again noticed we were there and was on high alert. We have a stare down for a bit, he spins again and this time runs off out of sight.
DSCN5138.JPG

DSCN5143.JPG

DSCN5144.JPG

We regroup, have a cold drink and head for a drive through the property. As we drive up the hillside headed to the back, Lindile taps the roof. We stop Greg and Lindile chat and off goes the truck. Greg says grab your rifle let's go for a walk. I trust that he sees something that peaks Greg's interest so off we go. As we make our way slowly up the hill, Greg said Lindile spotted a very nice Mt Reedbuck. Once again using the strong wind to our favor we get to a spot we can see a large ram needed on the hillside. We range him at around 250 yards. As we watch him and his girlfriend not far away we discuss what we should do. I work my way to the side of our cover and sit down to take a look through my scope using short sticks. Shaking and heart pounding, I take aim. Both animals are looking our way and alert to us being there. Greg says you can shoot him now or I can try to get him to stand. The problem with this is, if he stands, he might run so it's best to take the shot as he was lying down. This presents another problem, the target looks much smaller lying down. I take a deep breath and pull the trigger. Notice I said pull, not squeeze. A big dust cloud and he gets up and runs off. Greg grabs the tall sticks from Lindile ranges him again and says he's 290. I adjust my Leopold CDS to 290 and try to hold steady. The ram now quartering away but looking our direction stands there motionless. I try hard to steady but have a hard time with my adrenaline at its peak. Greg moves closer to me, I lean my elbow on his shoulder as he bends slightly over. As steady as I can get I put the crosshair on it's shoulder and squeeze the trigger. Well…. At least I thought I squeezed it. The ram ran down the hill and up the other side stopping long enough at the top for me to take aim and waste another bullet. After the third shot we head up to look around the area he was standing. We find he's tracks and some fresh poo but no other sign. After setting tasco on the trail he searched around for a bit but came up with nothing. Convinced we have 3 yes, 3 clean misses we work our way back to the truck.

As we were looking for sign I spotted a bushbuck lying in the field. We watched him for a while as Graham went to get him on video. After watching him for a minute or so Greg says he’s a very old ram. Gram walks within 30 yards or so from him and tosses a rock his way. The ram slowly stands, his legs weak from old age and slowly moves on. I almost put him down just to take away his aches and pains but the property owner did not want us to take any bushbucks.

Evening is fast approaching so we decide to call it a day and head to the skinning shack to drop off the tracker and pick up my Nyala. As we make our way to the front of the property we drive upon a nice Hog standing about 30 yards off the trail. Greg asks if I want to try 1 last time with my bow. Out we jump and within a couple minutes we are within 18 yards, all we are waiting for is the hog to step from behind the bush directly in front of us. Just as luck would have it the wind shifts and he’s off and running. I quickly stand, he stops 40 yards out broadside and I shoot right over his back. Just wasn’t meant to be today…

We load up, drop off the tracker, pick up the Nyala and head back to Mpunzi to end a very exciting day with a magnificent Nyala bull. On our way back Greg speaks with Marius about the plans for our next day’s hunt. Greg says Marius has arranged for us to hunt a property in the mountains for Eland another one of the targets on my list. I say that's awesome and Greg says the bad thing is we need to leave by 4:15am at the latest as it’s a two and a half hour drive and we need to stop in town to pick up the property tracker before we get there at 7. I sa no problem we can just stay up all night and celebrate a great day today. Lori quickly shuts that down and we talk about the plan as we make it back just in time for dinner. After a great meal prepared by Nicole and Michelle, as Gram was away with us he have a couple drinks and exchange stories of the day's events. Before I turn in for the day Marius says John, I have some good news for you. I have arranged for you to hunt a property on Friday for the blue duiker. That was awesome news as he wasn’t sure if he would be able to secure a permit for me. After hearing I had to have one more stiff drink to help me sleep fast, as we had to be up in about 4 and a half hours to hunt Eland.

Kind of rushed to get that last report finished up so I could get it posted. Ran out of time a bit with todays events. I will be back at it on Monday and have much more in store....

Nice report, sounds like you are having a great safari.

What a beautiful nyala...hope I can get one like that next year. Congrats!

Killer nayala! Love the way he flares out, he'll make a pretty mount for sure.

Nyala top of the list next trip!! He is a dandy congratulations

Nyala top of the list next trip!! He is a dandy congratulations

If your going with KMG, Marius has access to what I feel are some of the best concessions in SA. You will see a lot of nice Nyala and most likely have your pick.

Killer nayala! Love the way he flares out, he'll make a pretty mount for sure.

Thanks I'm more than happy... He will look great for sure but it's going to cost me. I'm doing a full body mount. Can't wait to see him standing again.

I have some good news for you. I have arranged for you to hunt a property on Friday for the blue duiker

Did someone say blue duiker????

Now you have my attention. :A Bravo:

Huntaholic, outstanding report .... sitting in the airport lounge on my way to hunt with Marius and KMG for lioness ... looking forward to the rest!
Have a great trip!

Huntaholic, outstanding report .... sitting in the airport lounge on my way to hunt with Marius and KMG for lioness ... looking forward to the rest!
All the best sir. Shoot straight. looking forward to your report and picture's. I ll be there in one month and 2 days. But hell I m not counting!

Day 5

Alarm goes off at 2:45 am and I turn it off thinking I just went to bed but gather my wits and get up hoping a shower will wake me up a bit. After a quick cold shower I'm awake but Lori is not moving yet. I tell her we are leaving soon and say if she's going with me she needs to get up and moving and tell her she can sleep for 3 more hours on the drive. Greg shows up at the lodge we greet each other for a cup of coffee and a quick bite and we're off at 4am. Lindile takes the front seat, Lori in back with me and her pillow and we are heading to hunt eland. We arrive in Cathcart just as the sun is rising with a beautiful blue streaked sky and within 20 minutes or so we make our way into the farm property. This is a very large farm with lots of tall rock covered mountains, great terrain area for eland.
IMG_20170517_062720213.jpg

We started off at the farm house for a cup of coffee and meeting with an intern (Tekita) working the farm for a work study program. She had been there since March and knew the property quite well already. We drive for about a half hour or so through many sections of separate low fenced areas. We stop at another farm house on the way to the back of the property and pick a local tracker then we are off to glass for that special eland. Today is the coldest day of the trip so far, and we are hoping to find the animals standing in the morning sun to warm up. There is a very large known bull that has been seen in the area and we are set off to target him. This bull is almost always spotted alone but not real far away from the group. He is supposed to have all the character we are looking for. He’s a very old bull with a large mop, big horns, massive dewlap and mostly blue. A true blue bull, just what we want. Not long after we start our journey we spot a group of cows and calves with only a small bull in the group.

DSCN5279.JPG

We glass around for a bit then make a move up a mountain top to glass back down into the area where the herd of eland were seen to look for the big bull. We work our way up the rocky road winding around the mountain and stop at a great viewing area. We again locate the same heard of eland but as luck would have it, no bull in sight. As we continue we see lots of other game just no eland that makes Greg excited. As we work our way down a valley we spot a very nice kudu bull standing only about 60 yards in a thick area. We stop to glass him as he was a very large bull and Tekita was quick to say we are not shooting kudu on the property right now. We glass him and take some photos and move on in search of that big eland. As we continue to drive on probably the roughest stone covered roads I have ever been on, we glass, glass and glass some more but are not finding anything that looks promising.

Big kudu.png

DSCN5292.JPG

We head back towards the farm area where we picked up the tracker and come across a large eland bull bedded down in a thick area. Not stopping, we quickly drive out of the area thinking that might be him. The bulls head was behind a bush so Greg was unable to tell for sure if he’s the one we are after. We drive to an area we can get a better look at him. Greg talks to the tracker and he says he doesn’t think that was him. We decide to turn around to have another look. When we get closer the bull stands up and right away Greg says no that’s a nice bull just not what we are after.

DSCN5277.JPG

A bit of disappointment and some time to get my adrenaline under control and we are back on the worst traveled roads of the trip. We travel for a bit and come through a group of cape buffalo. Tekita says there is a very large bull in the group that is their “big breeding boy”. Soon after she said that, we spotted him and moved closer for some photos. WOW!! All I can say is this bull was a monster with the most beautiful coat I had ever seen on a Buff and most likely would never be hunted, but maybe his offspring would.

DSCN5304.JPG

DSCN5417.JPG

Now almost 11am and no sightings of a shooter eland, we head to an area where the tracker said the big lone eland was spotted a couple weeks ago. To get there we would be taking a road Tekita said she had never been up, but has heard it’s a scary ride. The road was not travelled much and was cut into the face of the mountain just a few months ago. We start our journey up and I say this isn’t that bad. Little did I know that was going to be the best part in the four thousand foot climb! After about 10 minutes up the road Greg had to stop and have the trackers move some big rocks out of the trail so we could continue. Soon after that Lori, in a quiet shaky voice says, um….. I am not liking this much! I chuckle and say there is not much we can do now, just try not to look down. Greg stops and asks Lori if she would rather stop and walk from here. She quickly said NO and I don’t think we heard a peep from her the rest of the way up the mountain. As we made our way back and forth the switchback road we stopped to glass a couple times without Lori exiting the truck. At one of the stops she did muster up the courage to take a photo out the driver’s door from the backseat.

DSCN5315.JPG

DSCN5333.JPG

As we reach the top and find a flat spot, we get out and walk to an area to glass the valley on the other side. Greg spots 3 Mt Reedbuck bedded down on the front side well over a mile away. We glass them for a bit and after Greg talks with the trackers says let’s move closer we think one is a very nice ram. I was glassing the same 3 animals but had no clue one was a ram.

DSCN5329.JPG

It took some time to make our way around but when we did the reedbuck got up and ran off when we were still a long ways away. As we stopped to watch them run over the next hill, Greg said they would probably stop once they felt safe on the other side. We slowly drove closer and suddenly a tap on the roof. Greg stopped the truck and Lindile said he saw the ram bedded. We parked the truck there, grabbed the gun and went for a walk. Sure enough as we got to the edge of the cliff, we spot him laying all alone looking off in the other direction. How Lindile spotted him I will never know as he was close to a mile away downhill in the tall grass. Using a large rock as a blocker and the wind in our face, Greg and I close the gap fairly quickly. We make to the big rock and see him bedded about 400 yards further, we glass him for a bit and Greg says YES that’s a proper ram. We need to get closer as we have no shot from this angle and I’m not comfortable taking this shot. The ram tucked behind another rock with a bush next to it and Greg feels if we crawl low for about 50 yards to our left we can close the gap within 100 yards.

DSCN5340.JPG

DSCN5354.JPG

We make the plan and crawl ever so slow to the next spot of cover. The ram now within 60 yards but on high alert knows something is not right. Greg has the video camera running and captures great footage as the ram whistles at us for nearly 5 minutes. Greg sets up the short sticks and I position myself for a shot if he makes a move my direction. All the sudden the ram takes off on a slow trot my direction. There he is trotting past me at a slow pace. I get him in my scope, Greg whistles and he stops broadside at 40 yards. I squeeze the trigger, with an 180gr core-lokt well placed on the shoulder he flips over backwards and is DRT. A shout of victory from me, a great shot my friend from Greg, some high fives and we walk over to look at a magnificent Mt Reedbuck…

Sorry for the poor quality on the next few photos, they were taken from my video camera.
IMG_20170718_175658.jpg

IMG_20170718_175749.jpg

IMG_20170718_175835.jpg

IMG_20170718_180313.jpg

At the sound of the shot the trackers make their way in our direction. They quickly close the gap on nearly a mile downhill hike as Lori and Tekita slowly made their way taking photos as they came. By the time Lori and Tekita made it to us, we have him set up on a rock, Greg takes several photos of me alone and all Lori has to do is jump in for a quick couple and we can be back in search for the Eland.

DSCN5366.JPG

DSCN5368.JPG

DSCN5374.JPG

IMG_20170517_115938082.jpg

After a few more photos and another setting in the grass with the mountain in the background, Greg heads up to get the truck. The trackers grab the reedbuck and Lori and I get a lesson on sharing photos via Bluetooth from Tekita. At over 6000 feet with no cell coverage I send Tekita photos from my phone to hers. A short walk over the side of the mountain and we are on the trail waiting for Greg to pick us up with the truck. Once in the truck I tell Greg I not only scored on a fine mt reedbuck I was schooled by a youngster on sharing photos. From that moment on the rest of the trip, if someone took a great photo everyone else would say Bluetooth me!!!

DSCN5380.JPG

DSCN5391.JPG

We head to the skinning shed to drop off the trackers and reedbuck then go to the lodge for use of the facilities to cleanup a bit and have some lunch. During lunch we talk over the plan for the rest of the day. We decided to hunt for Eland until around 4-430 or so and make our way back to Mpunzi so we could be there around dinner time. The conversation did come up that we could sleep over at the lodge there if we wanted but we were not prepared for that.

DSCN5406.JPG

After lunch a cold drink and a bit of rest, we were back to the mountains in search of that special eland that eluded us all morning. We searched for the next 3 hours seeing no shooter eland and decided to call it a day and make the long drive back to Mpunzi. On the drive back Greg spends some time on the phone when he has signal working on a plan for the next day’s hunt. We make it back to the lodge late and once again are the last ones back. We are exhausted, hungry, in need of a shower, a drink, dinner and sleep. I take a quick shower as dinner is finishing and join the group for stories of the day over another fine meal prepared by Graham and Nichole. After dinner, we have some drinks and talk with Marius about the plan for Thursday. He tells me he has arranged for us to hunt on a different concession where there are lots of eland. He said Graham would again be joining us as he knows the son of the property owner from school. We would again need to leave early but not at 4am as it’s only about an hour and a half away. We finish the evening off with a shot or 2 of fireball and off for a good night’s rest.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Look forward to the rest of your report. Very nice trophies so far.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Look forward to the rest of your report. Very nice trophies so far.

Yes we did!!! its about to get better if I can just find the time to get through the next few days.

Doing a great report. Awesome Nyala by the way. Mine is also a lifesize.
I leave August 22nd from South Dakota for KMG Safaris. Will see Johnnyblues in camp.

Beautiful Nyala, I'm sure the full mount will be stunning!

I leave August 22nd from South Dakota for KMG Safaris. Will see Johnnyblues in camp.
One month from today at this time we'll be tracking buffalo spoor! YES.

Thanks for the complement, its more work than it would have been if I wrote it daily when I was there. As I said I can hardly wait to see him standing again. My taxidermist is awesome with African animals so Im sure he will look alive.

Your going to have a great time with Marius and the crew for sure. make sure to post your report when you get time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TraceeHigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!