SOUTH AFRICA: My First African Safari With Game 4 Africa Safaris

Great hunt! Glad you got to enjoy it with your wife!

Congratulations on a great adventure.

Congratulations! Really enjoyed your report

Awesome hunt and write up, sounds like an unforgettable time for sure.

Excellent trophies! Congrats! That waterbuck is HUGE!!!

Great hunt and great report! You had me hooked after your first post.

Congrats on your waterbuck. I ended up getting one of those on my first safari too- originally I'd planned on nyala. Majestic animal. I'll get a nyala on my next trip!

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Summary.

For anyone considering a safari in South Africa I highly recommend you do it. The level of service provided in South Africa is not matched in many areas, worldwide. For the price of an average Elk hunt in the American west, you can have a 6-7 day safari and take 4-8 animals. Increase your budget a little and you can add days or more animals. And nobody is doing your laundry on that elk hunt!

I highly recommend Game 4 Africa. They are a small, family run business that focuses on customer service. They can handle small or large groups and my wife had an excellent time as an observer. The accommodations are very nice, clean, and private. The food was excellent. The game was plentiful but still required a lot of work to get exceptional animals.

If I can help anyone else who is a African Safari Virgin (ASV) prepare for their first trip, please ask any question or send me a PM. I would be happy to share my limited knowledge on outfitters, taxidermy, customs agent, travel, shipping companies, and the other confusing parts of the safari package. Thanks for taking the time to read my hunt report.

Day 6

Preface: The animal that least excited me on my list before I came to Africa is the bushbuck. I have read how hard they are to hunt but I never fell in love with the idea. Prior to day 6 I discussed changing the plan with Wik. Since I will never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt, I asked about hunting Blue Wildebeest. I wanted to hunt them the way they hunt buffalo. Stalk very close. Wik agreed and we came to an agreement on the exchange. Day 6 we would hunt for my "poor mans buffalo".

Great report - don't ever say "never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt" - that just isn't right. Never close the book on a dream - you are a young man, who knows - lots of things can happen, and the price of some buffalo hunts are actually coming down. I thought the same thing way a while back - but actually that Buffalo hunt may become a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great hunt report! I will be hunting with Wik in early September so I hope you left some good waterbuck, kudu and nyala for us to hunt!

Enjoyed it !!

I agree Byron, that is one heck of a hunt for the money! I'd rather do the plains game hunt anyway! Elk hunting can be fun but it's anything but cheap.

Great report - don't ever say "never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt" - that just isn't right. Never close the book on a dream - you are a young man, who knows - lots of things can happen, and the price of some buffalo hunts are actually coming down. I thought the same thing way a while back - but actually that Buffalo hunt may become a reality.

Couldn't agree with you more! I made the same comments a couple years ago and this year I will be hunting buffalo.

Anything is possible!

Congrats on a great hunt. Really enjoyed your recap!

Started planning the next trip yet? Haha

Congrats on a great hunt. You got some beautiful animals. Loved the mass on your Impala. The Waterbuck looked huge. Your Kudu has some character too. I enjoyed reading your report. Well done sir. I hope you have started planning to go back. Thanks Bruce

Thanks for the report. You took some great animals. I especially like that huge Impala!

Byron: Glad to see you and your wife had a great time on your first African Safari. Wik and his family, along with the staff at @Game 4 Africa Safaris do a great job. A hunt at their place really is great value.

Hopefully when I get back to Louisiana in November we can get together and share a beer and some stories.

Dave

What a great hunt you had. Game 4 Africa does it again!

Great hunt report! I will be hunting with Wik in early September so I hope you left some good waterbuck, kudu and nyala for us to hunt!
You are going to have a great time. There is plenty of game. Giant Waterbuck love that place.

Byron: Glad to see you and your wife had a great time on your first African Safari. Wik and his family, along with the staff at @Game 4 Africa Safaris do a great job. A hunt at their place really is great value.

Hopefully when I get back to Louisiana in November we can get together and share a beer and some stories.

Dave
that sounds like a plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg