Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
Great hunt! Glad you got to enjoy it with your wife!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Congratulations on a great adventure.

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Congratulations! Really enjoyed your report

Ridgerunner

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Awesome hunt and write up, sounds like an unforgettable time for sure.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Excellent trophies! Congrats! That waterbuck is HUGE!!!

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Great hunt and great report! You had me hooked after your first post.

Congrats on your waterbuck. I ended up getting one of those on my first safari too- originally I'd planned on nyala. Majestic animal. I'll get a nyala on my next trip!

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Byron Hapgood

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Summary.

For anyone considering a safari in South Africa I highly recommend you do it. The level of service provided in South Africa is not matched in many areas, worldwide. For the price of an average Elk hunt in the American west, you can have a 6-7 day safari and take 4-8 animals. Increase your budget a little and you can add days or more animals. And nobody is doing your laundry on that elk hunt!

I highly recommend Game 4 Africa. They are a small, family run business that focuses on customer service. They can handle small or large groups and my wife had an excellent time as an observer. The accommodations are very nice, clean, and private. The food was excellent. The game was plentiful but still required a lot of work to get exceptional animals.

If I can help anyone else who is a African Safari Virgin (ASV) prepare for their first trip, please ask any question or send me a PM. I would be happy to share my limited knowledge on outfitters, taxidermy, customs agent, travel, shipping companies, and the other confusing parts of the safari package. Thanks for taking the time to read my hunt report.

Nosler guy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
sci
Day 6

Preface: The animal that least excited me on my list before I came to Africa is the bushbuck. I have read how hard they are to hunt but I never fell in love with the idea. Prior to day 6 I discussed changing the plan with Wik. Since I will never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt, I asked about hunting Blue Wildebeest. I wanted to hunt them the way they hunt buffalo. Stalk very close. Wik agreed and we came to an agreement on the exchange. Day 6 we would hunt for my "poor mans buffalo".

Great report - don't ever say "never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt" - that just isn't right. Never close the book on a dream - you are a young man, who knows - lots of things can happen, and the price of some buffalo hunts are actually coming down. I thought the same thing way a while back - but actually that Buffalo hunt may become a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Novak

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Director Wisconsin Chapter SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada, USA
Great hunt report! I will be hunting with Wik in early September so I hope you left some good waterbuck, kudu and nyala for us to hunt!

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
Enjoyed it !!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I agree Byron, that is one heck of a hunt for the money! I'd rather do the plains game hunt anyway! Elk hunting can be fun but it's anything but cheap.

russ_c

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Great report - don't ever say "never be a man who can afford a buffalo hunt" - that just isn't right. Never close the book on a dream - you are a young man, who knows - lots of things can happen, and the price of some buffalo hunts are actually coming down. I thought the same thing way a while back - but actually that Buffalo hunt may become a reality.

Couldn't agree with you more! I made the same comments a couple years ago and this year I will be hunting buffalo.

Anything is possible!

russ_c

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Congrats on a great hunt. Really enjoyed your recap!

Started planning the next trip yet? Haha

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Congrats on a great hunt. You got some beautiful animals. Loved the mass on your Impala. The Waterbuck looked huge. Your Kudu has some character too. I enjoyed reading your report. Well done sir. I hope you have started planning to go back. Thanks Bruce

flyfishaz

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Thanks for the report. You took some great animals. I especially like that huge Impala!

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Byron: Glad to see you and your wife had a great time on your first African Safari. Wik and his family, along with the staff at @Game 4 Africa Safaris do a great job. A hunt at their place really is great value.

Hopefully when I get back to Louisiana in November we can get together and share a beer and some stories.

Dave

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
What a great hunt you had. Game 4 Africa does it again!

Byron Hapgood

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Great hunt report! I will be hunting with Wik in early September so I hope you left some good waterbuck, kudu and nyala for us to hunt!
You are going to have a great time. There is plenty of game. Giant Waterbuck love that place.

Byron Hapgood

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Byron: Glad to see you and your wife had a great time on your first African Safari. Wik and his family, along with the staff at @Game 4 Africa Safaris do a great job. A hunt at their place really is great value.

Hopefully when I get back to Louisiana in November we can get together and share a beer and some stories.

Dave
that sounds like a plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junko78481

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?