SOUTH AFRICA: My First African Hunting Safari With Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA

@375Fox these sticks were the flat front, which I liked since it at least gave you a little extra opportunity to move the rifle and not completely move the sticks. Is that why you like them?
Yes, flat front gives you an opportunity to move while keeping rifle in a neutral position. You can move left and right with the V type sticks, but it puts spring tension into the rifle. I’m really a quad stick fan, I hope more outfitters start using them.

My last full day I was able to ride around as an observer/spotter for a father/daughter group hunting also at Olivefountain, which was fun watching others stalk their game. We were able to watch a long and successful stalk on a kudu bull, springbuck and some blesbuck culls. Early that morning I had to go to Grahamstown, about a 45 minute drive, to have my Covid RT-PCR test done to be able to fly home the next morning. So we arrived as the clinic opened (8 am), had the test sample taken (the deep nasal one, I think I left finger impressions in the chair arms), Ampath Labs did the analysis and we had it emailed 12 hours later so it could be printed out that evening.
The only point that I had to show my Covid test results was when I arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from what I remember, I didn't have to show them when I arrived in Chicago. So I flew from Port Elizabeth, SA to Johannesburg, SA, filled out a Covid questionnaire to board my next flight to Ethiopia, then transited through Addis Ababa for the big leg to Chicago (brief stop to re-fuel in Dublin, Ireland). Had a Customs form and Covid questionnaire on the flight for Chicago, all that was requested to be turned in was the Customs declaration, had a couple questions regarding what I did in SA, was asked if I had any wildlife products (none), and that was it. Going through the Covid testing process was not that difficult. I had easy access to get testing done near my home (plus there is a clinic at the Greater Cincinnati Airport with quick results), and easily done while at Nick's ranch. I wish I had known how straightforward it would be. If that is what might be holding up your decision to go this year or even next year, I'd reconsider it.
I had a very satisfying trip, I've already booked a cull hunt plus a couple larger antelope to hunt for July 2022. Everyone at the ranch was enjoyable to spend time with, I certainly felt at home. I already miss the meals, loved having the daily cleaning and laundry service. I have to do all of those things here at home, so nice to have a break from that. Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions about my trip. Thanks for reading my report and all of the welcome compliments on my animals.

TROGON: I am so happy for your first hunt in Africa and being able to get away from the stress of the last two years. I may have missed it, but are you planning your second trip yet?

TROGON: I am so happy for your first hunt in Africa and being able to get away from the stress of the last two years. I may have missed it, but are you planning your second trip yet?
@Vanguard2279 , thanks for your kind words; yes I'm going back to Nick's ranch in July 2022, planning on a cull hunt package and a couple of the big antelope; it's great to be starting out with this African hunting with all of the other animal possibilities out there. I did some cleaning up at my deer lease this weekend with some cousins and am pretty sure at least one will want to go in a couple years.

Congrats on a great trip and write up! The experiences we get in Africa always have us wanting more. Leaving June 5 for my fourth trip over. Eastern Cape this time.

Thanks for posting! Glad you had a great hunt !

Great trip, hunt and report. Thank you!

That looks like a exceptional cape kudu !!

Welcome back to the Buckeye state Trogon. This was a great write up, detailing a fantastic safari. You took a great kudu and that Nyala.... VERY NICE! Additionally, you saw that worm and tortoise those are the things that make safaris special.

Congrats on your first safari- great trophies and great report! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on a great trip and write up! The experiences we get in Africa always have us wanting more. Leaving June 5 for my fourth trip over. Eastern Cape this time.
I hope you have a great trip @JOHN GRENZ , what are you going after?

That looks like a exceptional cape kudu !!
@jeff based on everyone's excitement level I realized I was lucky to get a really good animal, thank you. Wasn't taped but guessed at least 48".

Welcome back to the Buckeye state Trogon. This was a great write up, detailing a fantastic safari. You took a great kudu and that Nyala.... VERY NICE! Additionally, you saw that worm and tortoise those are the things that make safaris special.
Thanks Wayne, I love the animals I got and am thrilled with the kudu and nyala!

I hope you have a great trip @JOHN GRENZ , what are you going after?
My list has sable, red lechwe, mtn reedbuck, Vaal Reebok, baboon, caracal, bushbuck. Will have to see many of these my new steel knees will let happen.
my PH might be needing a few days off after dragging me around for 10 days!

Congrats on the trophies. Very nice nyala. I'm heading over June 18th for my first trip. Figure it is going to be a yearly trip.

Congrats on the trophies. Very nice nyala. I'm heading over June 18th for my first trip. Figure it is going to be a yearly trip.
I hope you have a great trip, @Michael Abbott , I surely did. Right now I'm going with the annual plan myself, I'm starting to get some of my hunting buds interested, but we'll see how it goes. 2022 with Nick Bowker (cull hunt) and deciding what to hunt with him in 2023 (working on my list right now).

Cool. I know one of my buddies is planning on going next year. He was scheduled to go this year but some health issues came up. I'm trying to figure out what I want to hunt in 2022 myself. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll do a cape buffalo hunt

Yes, flat front gives you an opportunity to move while keeping rifle in a neutral position. You can move left and right with the V type sticks, but it puts spring tension into the rifle. I’m really a quad stick fan, I hope more outfitters start using them.
Ordered a set today, $129, the only detraction mentioned while I was at Nick Bowker's ranch was that you should keep an eye on the nuts backing off the screws, so I'll put a small lock washer in there to help with that.

Congrats, great trip, nice trophies !

Many thanks for the kind words

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg