Jay Bucher

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA RMEF
In 2017 while attending a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet I purchased a 5 day safari. This hunt had been donated by Kannas Kannemeyer of Wild Wildebeast Safaris. Fast forward to almost a year later.

The big adventure was about to begin!

Departed Jacksonville,FL on 3-31-18. Arrived in Atlanta,Ga and then left for the 15 hr flight to South Africa. Arrived in Johannesburg on 4-1-18 and was met by my PH Jacques Kellerman. 4 hr truck ride and we arrived in Limpopo.

Day 1 started at the range to make sure my rifle had survived the trip....all good.

The very first day was an awing experience.

I learned very quickly that these guys (Wild Wildebeest) are there to help you get the best of what you are looking for. And not to just shoot the first of whatever comes along. They hunt, they stalk and work hard to make your experience the best it can be.

IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG

Day 1....

Impala

Blesbuck

I will definitely go back. Would highly recommend a trip with Wild Wildebeast Safaris.

Several things I would recommend if your considering a trip like this.

Be open minded to the animals you want to hunt. I had a predetermined list. But after I saw them in person and the other numerous possibilities....my list changed. After Day 1 I wanted a Kudo

Take the advice of your PH. This is what they do. And love doing it

Last edited by a moderator:

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing the report.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
So did you take any additional animals? Sounds like you had a good time. Congrats
Bruce

Jay Bucher

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA RMEF
Day 2 we went we went after a kudo. We saw several kudo cows and wildebeest through out the morning. We also saw a heard of eland. Jacques said there was a very big eland bull in the group. At the time I had no interest in an eland. We hunted the rest of the morning for a kudo. We saw two big kudo bulls. Jacques told me to shoot the bull on the left. I could only see one of the bulls. When I finally could see the bigger bull he was changing zip codes. I never got shot at him.

Later that afternoon we saw some wildwildebeest. Jacques saw the big eland again. He asked what he needed to do to talk me into taking that eland. He assured me it would be a great trophy. After a brief discussion we went after the eland. We headed of through a couple hundred yards of sticker bushes. When we got through it I was bleeding from both arms and legs. I think Jacques had two small scratches. We thought we were busted by the wildwildebeest. We found the eland watching us. I had a frontal shot. I heard the bullet smack him and he took off. I was able to shoot him again in the shoulder before he hit the thick stuff. Jacques and I were able to get in front of him while the tracker, David followed him. I put one in the crease and he dropped liked a ton of bricks.

IMG_7795.JPG

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Congrats Jay, nice Eland you got there !

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Great choice on shooting that eland! It's very nice, I assure you!

peras

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA HSC
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
Congratulations. Tonie runs an excellent outfit.

MAdcox

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
Very nice Eland, congrats

FLhunter7

AH senior member
Reaction score
Congratulations and beautiful trophy cool to see someone from around me (I live in St Johns) go on an African safari.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Please go on! I’m enjoying this! You’re doing great!

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Great looking trophies- congrats! Lets see some more!

Jay Bucher

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA RMEF
I was able to get a wildebeest on really cool piece of property.. It was a huge open plain. There a couple of herds of wildebeest. After we watched them for a while Jacgues gave me the go ahead. I finally had a wildebeest down. We spent the rest of the looking for another impala. Jacques assured me we could find a larger ram. We saw a lot of impalas. We watched a group of about 10 rams. A few of them were fighting. It was very cool seeing this. He gave me the green light on a ram he estimated was 24". It turned out he was a little off. It was 24.5". I'm still waiting the pictures from Jacques for the impala.

Africa.JPG

I found out that Jacques was into bass fishing. We had talked about bass fishing, so we went bass fishing. I couldn't believe they use the same lures/worms I use in Florida. If you anyone from Florida you know they like to catch a bass. He caught his largest bass to date. We spent the afternoon catching bass. It was a cool part of the trip I never expected.

IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4377.JPG

JES Adventures

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
Great report Jay, thanks for sharing the experience. Congrats on the great trophies.

lil 2 sleepy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa,Argentina, ON Canada, USA- AK,AR,GA,IL,KS,MO,MS,NC,OK,SC,VA,WY
I hunted at wild wildebeest with Jacques last year. Great guy, and some excellent trophies. Congrats on your hunt.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Thanks for the report, great trophies. So when are you going back????:whistle:

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.