SOUTH AFRICA: Mugging A Rhino With DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS (Special Guest spike.t)

Thanks a lot for sharing and congratulations on a great hunt!

It’s was a real pleasure giving in camp Nate…. We both survived Mike!

Sounds like a fantastic trip. As always I really enjoy your narrative. Your humor is great.

@Wheels Thank you! I do my best to make this entertaining.
Twee Rivier is owned by Ampie and Nicolene. I really should have taken notes. Wonderful couple and a great place to hunt Bushbuck.

Everyone have a great Veteran's Day! Remember why this day exists.

Congratulations on your successful hunt, enjoyed the write up warts and all.

@Vanguard2279 thanks for trusting in me to help plan your flights, and as always a GREAT report. What a trip! Loved the rhino pictures for sure, and glad you didn't get kidnapped on the way home.
BTW you'll have to do premium from now on, you've officially been spoiled ;)

Congrats for a great trip !

@Vanguard2279 I'm soo glad you had a fab time. Both you and @DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS did well to survive the booze sponge the @spike.t is. Maybe he's getting soft in his older years?!

Its always nice to see the good that hunters do in Africa and its like what Dave was saying when we were chatting with him in Dallas that the bulk of the $6K goes to security and the vet for the tests. I wonder how much of the donations the antis get go into active conservation hunting.
Talking of which that was the quickest I have ever seen you decide your booking a hunt. I thought you were trying to kill Dave the speed at which your card flew out.
Like Dave said you have done well to only lose one animal in 8 trips. When you hunt enough you end up missing and you lose an animal or 2. Its all part of learning and developing as a hunter and a human. Proud of you brother anyway.

Enjoyed your report as always buddy and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Last edited:
It’s was a real pleasure giving in camp Nate…. We both survived Mike!

Yeah whatever.... :E Doh: :E Shrug::E Rofl::D Beers:...was good to see you dave...and finally get to see your operation down there...very impressive...had great time....bout time you came to us for a few beers and gin and tonic....:D Beers:

SUMMARY
This was a great trip with a great outfitter. Dave was fantastic. I look forward to hunting with him again in the next few years. I highly recommend Dave Freeburn Safaris to anyone looking for a fantastic hunt.

Limpopo Bushbuck is my new white whale.

I am endlessly thankful to @spike.t for his friendship. I'm really excited to see what high jinks we're going to get into in Nashville.

There is bound to be something that I will add tomorrow. Good night to everyone still reading this.
View attachment 499676
View attachment 499677
View attachment 499678

Well @Vanguard2279 it was a great evening in reno ...even if you peaked a bit early......then it was great fun if bit stressful when you hunted with us, and all I will say is thank you so much for the invite to come with you on your rhino darting hunt.....as a mate here said bloody go you won't get another chance to go on one....a memorable experience as you said being very very close to white rhino in some of the thickest ..thorniest bush I have ever encountered.... :D Beers: ....and to see how much you enjoyed it was a privilege.....but also thank you for keeping me entertained while I was following you through the thorns with you getting into so many wrestling matches with a variety of trees and bushes...:A Thumbs Up::D Beers:

P.s....yeah the wildebeest threw you a couple of curved balls....but no more effort could have been made to find the lost one....we tried to the end....so don't beat yourself up ... :D Beers:

Thank you, Lord Taylor. I am deeply thankful for your friendship and mentoring. I am still in awe how you, Dave, the Johns, the 80 year old woman with us, etc. all made it through the thorns without issues and they seemed to jump out and grab me.
Have fun on your cruise. I'll see you in Nashville!

What a wonderful experience and thank you for taking us along. Question, are you going to make a replica of the Rhino horns, if so care to share the cost? You can pm if you'd like. I would love to do a Rhino hunt like that. :D

@PARA45 I didn't really think about it. There are some outfits that do rhino darting that give you a bust of the rhino afterwards. They look really great, but take up a lot of wall space and seem to raise the price about $3000. I'm good. I'm going to have a large print made and I will display it proudly.
If I ever do non-export bull, I will definitely have replicas made though.

Great report and hunt! It sucks when shots dont go just how we would intend but it is inevitable given enough hunts. Doing your very best to follow them up is what matters, and that it bothers you is a sign of an ethical hunter.

Great report and hunt! It sucks when shots dont go just how we would intend but it is inevitable given enough hunts. Doing your very best to follow them up is what matters, and that it bothers you is a sign of an ethical hunter.
Thank you. Losing an animal was something that I'd hoped would never happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg