Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
2 Hunting Safaris 1 Year

Africa 2021

Kwalata Safari’s

https://www.kwalata.com/

Background

My first Safari in Africa came in April 2015 for my 30th birthday. It was with my Dad and his best friend, Uncle Lewie. They both have hunted all over North and South America but neither had made the trip to the dark continent. Little did I know, that trip would change the course of my hunting life forever. We were lucky enough to connect with Jaco Strauss and the team at Kwalata Safaris. The trip was to the Limpopo Province in South Africa. They took the three of us in and we immediately felt like we were hunting with family. Fast forward 6 years and many beers laughs and good times later, and I have just completed my 4th trip to Africa with 2 coming in 2021.

1st Trip End of Safari Pic - The Seed of my Obsession

1640706519500.png

The Family Trip – March 2021 Limpopo South Africa

After hunting South Africa twice, my Dad and I made plans to hunt Kwalata’s Consession in the Niassa Reserve in Northern Mozambique (more to come later). We setup our entire trip at the Houston Safari Club in February 2020 for later that year in October. Well we all know what happened a month later. The trip was pushed to 2021.

October 2020 rolls around and the world is finally starting to loosen backup. I am longing for Africa to the point of depression when my wife comes up with the idea of taking her and my 7 year old daughter to South Africa to hunt for my daughters spring break. Yes, I do have the best wife on earth! I reached out to Jaco about the idea and in his typical jovial fashion told me he would take care of everything. He didn’t disappoint. Nyati Wilderness, Kwalata’s Limpopo concession, had recently acquired an additional 15,000 acres with a lodge that was perfect for our trip.

1640706534957.png

Over the years, my family and I have been lucky enough to get to know both Jaco and his wife Lindie on their many trips to the states. Once we confirmed the trip, they both were excited to let us know that they would be able to have their daughters at the lodge for the trip as well. This was a huge relief to my wife and me. We were a little iffy on how our daughter would handle being the only child on a trip like this. It is that type of personal touch that truly sets Kwalata apart.

Africa Girls.jpg

Now the only other requests were for my wife to have the opportunity on a big croc and for my daughter to get a crack at her first animal. This trip was for them. It was about letting them get to experience what I had fell in love with. As you will see from the pictures below, we more then succeeded! My daughter was able to connect on a wonderful old Blue Wildebeest and my wife cleaned up with a Croc, Ostrich and Sable. They finally let me shoot at the end and I was able to connect on a great White Blesbuck. On top of the hunting, they catered to all of my families’ requests. From game drives to visits to a predator park. It was truly an amazing experience and one that my family will remember for a lifetime.

Kendelle Lyla Croc.jpg
Lyla Croc.jpg

Kendelle Sable.jpg
Kendelle Ostrich.jpg
Lyla Wildebeest.jpg
Blesbuck.jpg

Videographer
I have to give a big shout out to Megan Botma with Mojanatu Productions. Megan is an incredible person and even better, photographer and videographer. We use her every time we go on Safari. She was with us on both the family Safari and in Mozambique. She can be booked thru the team at Kwalata. I think this is worth stretching your budget for. The videos are an incredible way to relive the experience with friends and family back home.

Wild Africa - September/October 2021 Niassa Mozambique

My Dad and I arrived in Niassa via Charter Flight after a 36-hour journey from the States. The moment we landed on that dirt runway; I knew I was in a special place. The air was different, and the feel of true wild Africa was all around us. We loaded up on the Cruisers and headed to camp. We had been waiting on this trip for 18 months and I can remember spending countless nights dreaming of this place and man did it live up to the hype. I have never seen such a wild place with game numbers that are truly out of this world. The camp was set on the banks of the Lugenda River with a view that went on for miles. There were lions calling at night, hippos and crocs splashing in the water around us and plains games for literally hundreds of miles in all directions. If you want to hunt true free range wild Africa, you won’t find a better place then Niassa and you won’t find a better outfitter then Kwalata. My Dad had the privilege of hunting leopard with Jaco. The two spent countless hours setting baits and checking for track. Jaco is well known for his success on the most elusive of the big cats. On day 8, they connected with a great Tom making Jaco 49 for 51 on Leopard in his hunting career. I was able to hunt with a truly amazing PH, Edwin Young. Edwin was a pleasure and was extremely knowledgeable about the area. All in all we spent 13 days hunting and I can honestly say I could have stayed another 30. Every day was a new adventure. We connected on 3 old buffalo bulls and over 20 plains game animals.

Leopard.jpg
Buffalo 1.jpg

Buffalo 2.jpg
Bushbuck.jpg

Bushpig.jpg
Hyena.jpg

Lion.jpg
Lugenda River.jpg

NIassa Sunset.jpg
Niassa Wildebeest.jpg

Reedbuck.jpg
Waterbuck.jpg

Headed Back in 2022 – Limpopo South Africa
We are excited to be heading back to South Africa on a large guy’s trip for 2022. As you can tell, my hunting life truly did change in 2015. I can’t get enough of Africa. The bottom line is that you will be very hard pressed to find a better outfitter to hunt Africa. This will be the 2nd large guys trip with Kwalata with a few repeat hunters from the first and a few newbies. Everyone that I have ever had the chance to setup with Jaco and his team have always come back with glowing reviews. If you are looking for a true African Experience with a team that will become your family than look no further than Kwalata Safaris.

Congratulations! I really like the buff, hyena, and Niassa wildebeest.

Great hunt, That sable is really heavy horned and i like the tattered ears on that buff. Congratulations.

Beautiful animals and photos - Congrats!

Sounds like an amazing life. I don't recognize the second animal from the bottom, below the wildebeest?

Great trophies! Niassa is amazing. I cannot wait to go back.

Great hunt, congrats !

Congrats on the hunts! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the great Niassa hunt! It’s an awesome place. I was there in 2013. Glad it’s still great.

Great trophies! Niassa is amazing. I cannot wait to go back.
I was on the hunt right before your wild ride! I wouldn't want anyone other than Jaco in that situation. Him and Joe are second to none.

I was on the hunt right before your wild ride! I wouldn't want anyone other than Jaco in that situation. Him and Joe are second to none.
I agree 100%. I would not be here if it were not for Jaco and Joe! Glad you had a great hunt!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on some fine animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!