SOUTH AFRICA: Monterra Experience September 2019

Gilles GUERIN

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI International and Swiss Chapter
Finally a dream came through : after so many years I managed to spend a week with my good friend Ross and PH Almayne. The Limpopo River was at his lowest, even hippos
left their pools. Pick up was at Polokwane airport and the drive to the estate was pleasant with rugby World Cup in Japan and South African team playing from a screen on the dashboard.
I have been to many camps in Zim and Zambia, but I must admit the accommodation were outstanding. It is like
a family house. Obviously Ross lives there six months per year, so it’s very comfortable and the swimming pool is a must. I borrow a .375 rifle from the armory and zero it on the airstrip.

Craig Mills Hunt 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! Please share the experience with us in a report

Welcome to AH.
Keep on sharing your hunt with us.

Finally a dream came through : after so many years I managed to spend a week with my good friend Ross and PH Almayne. The Limpopo River was at his lowest, even hippos
left their pools. Pick up was at Polokwane airport and the drive to the estate was pleasant with rugby World Cup in Japan and South African team playing from a screen on the dashboard.
I have been to many camps in Zim and Zambia, but I must admit the accommodation were outstanding. It is like
a family house. Obviously Ross lives there six months per year, so it’s very comfortable and the swimming pool is a must. I borrow a .375 rifle from the armory and zero it on the airstrip.
We even tried a long range shoot and I managed to hit the target at 400 meters, very proud of me. So strange to put 2 clicks left and one click up and to shoot left and high from the target. Not used to it.

I spent 4 full days hunting on the various areas of the property and saw a lot of game. Some were so skinny that we had to cull them. No rain for two months. I even had a chance to shoot a very nice elusive bushbuck in the Limpopo River bed. In the evening we took the shotgun and went for guineefowl. Very exciting and challenging .At night we tried bushpigs with no chance and jackals too by calling them,but they are smart and fast.
We had drinks by the fire in the bush in the evening or on the rocks in the middle of the property. The last Friday we cross over inro Botswana to visit another camp where we saw in daylight a big leopard chasing a skinny kudu, and we play with a young elephant bull on the other side of a ditch. He simulated charges but turn away after a few mock ones.
All in all it was a fantastic experience, and the food was outstanding with a chef in house and very pleasant staff. No need to bring your sat phone as the mobile network is working well. But don’t forget your swimming costume and your suntan cream.

Congrats for a great experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg