Schmidty

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA, South Africa
I purchased a donated hunt by Monkane Safaris - Kerneels Viljoen online through an SCI auction. At first I was apprehensive purchasing a hunt this way but I can tell you without hesitation it exceed my expectations. Kerneels is awesome and runs a great safari outfit. If you ever get the opportunity to hunt with him DO NOT hesitate. Lodging was first class, food was phenomenal, the hunting was way beyond what I purchased online. Kerneels worked hard to meet and exceed our expectations. This was my 3rd safari and each one was a great experience. I'll post pictures later one I'm back to the states.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going to need more info (and pictures) than this :ROFLMAO:

Exactly why I said I'd post more once I'm back in the states.
20220707_095119(0).jpg

Congratulations.
When you get back, drop that detailed hunting report right here. We'll be here waiting. :D Pop Popcorn:

more pics

IMG-20220706-WA0000.jpg
20220705_203848.jpg
20220704_151026.jpg
20220704_112216.jpg
20220703_165341.jpg
20220703_095254.jpg
IMG-20220701-WA0000.jpg

Hello everyone, just some more details from our hunt as promised.
We (my dad and I) arrived in Johannesburg Wednesday evening June 29th. Kerneels our PH had a shuttle service set up and waiting for us. They were nice gentlemen that took care of our bags and had us on our way up to Thabazimbi where we were to meet Kerneels to take us to camp. Along they way they offered numerous times to stop for us to use a restroom. There was water, soda, and biltong in the van for us. So the transportation that Kerneels at Monkane Safaris set up for us was great.

Once in camp Kerneels showed us to rooms and invited us to the main loadge for food and beverages. As we ate we visited and got to know each other a little better as he was to be our PH for the 7 days. He told us the plan for the next day giraffe hunt and what time to be at the main lodge for breakfast.

Day 1 was to be our giraffe hunt. We were after two mature bulls. The trackers, skinners, and meat cutters were all prepared and ready to hopefully take care of our two giraffes. I was up first as I was hoping to try and take mine with a bow but also prepared and willing to use the PH'S .375 if I decided to do so. After locating two different shooter bulls we attempted multiple stalks on them. My self imposed limit was 45 yards or less. After many failed attempts and getting to within 52 yds only once I was willing to switch to the rifle. Two reasons for this, one the bulls were stirred up pretty good by this point and did not want to stand still for anything and second I didn't want to take the entire day up from dad and his giraffe hunt. I was fortunate to get a good slightly quartering away shot at a little over 100 yds.

My dad's giraffe proved to be difficult to locate but late in the day he was able to put down a big old black bull giraffe with the same .375

Day 2 ended up being all spot and stalk bowhunting for us. My dad took a Springbok in the morning, I took a Sable in the afternoon and my dad got an Nyala late afternoon/evening.

Day 3 was a blind sit for golden wildebeest with a bow but eneded up being and Eland day for my dad. A big bull game in and he could not resist after Kerneels identified it as a big mature bull. After a 5 + mile tracking job and losing blood or sign Kerneels called in a friend of his with a helicopter. Sure enough after about and hour of searching the bull was located.

Day 4 was a blind sit in the morning for baboon which eneded successfully before noon. In the afternoon we hunted golden wildebeest spot and stalk with Kerneels rifle .308.

Day 5 was spot and stalk with the rifle for black impala and red hartebeest. A bonus warthog was added on the way back to camp.

Day 6 was a half day sit in the blind with the bow and a night hunt for bushbuck. My dad was successful in getting a bushbuck that night.

Day 7 include hunting in the morning mid day golf for my dad (avid golfer) and Kerneels who is also an avid golfer. I just drove the cart as I'm not into golf. That late afternoon we were doing a bit of meat hunting but turned into a waterbuck hunt. The landowner wanted this old bull out of the heard and we just lucked into him so I obliged the landowner.

IMG-20220701-WA0002.jpg
20220702_155056.jpg

I am mostly a bowhunter and prior to this trip I had only killed one animal with a rifle. I have killed many deer with a shotgun while sitting in a treestand. I was an amateur at spot and stalk rifle hunting going into this trip hence using the PH'S rifles. This was a fun cambo bow/rifle hunt and I truly enjoyed hunting with a rifle which I didn't think k I would. Kerneels was willing and accommodate every style we wanted to hunt and was prepared for both.
The food was excellent and more than we needed. I thought I was going to lose weight on this trip, wrong. Nice clean rooms with hot water, daily laundry, great trackers and skinners.

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

That warthog is huge, do you have a closer pic ?

Here are a few more pics with the warthog.

20220630_112935.jpg

Here's the warthog

Screenshot_20220710-074952_Gallery.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross