SOUTH AFRICA: Matwetwe Safaris... Back To See Friends

Day 5

Morning of Day 5 we were off to find my dad his Blue Wildebeest. We were back at the same concession as the day before so we had some good vibes going. We had plans to head to Entabeni Safari Conservancy that night to do a game drive to see some of the big five as Mike is quite the photographer and it was a great chance to get some good shots. Since we had a booked afternoon, we wanted to get a good hunt in the morning.

I always have the rifle in hand, but i was happy to sit back and relax a little and watch my dad do some hunting after the past day of hunting I had. It felt great to take in the sights and sounds and just enjoy an African sunrise. It had been foggy the past few mornings but it made for a very pretty sunrise.

sunrise.png

Well, I don't think weer we more than 20 minutes into hunting when a gorgeous Blue stepped into the sights. My dad let one rip out of his Whitworth at just over 200 meters. A fair shot for that 375H&H. Down goes the Wildebeest. Hendrik says to reload and put a second one in him as his down, but not quite expired.

This is where it got interesting. The second shot rang out, you saw a hit, but the animal barely moved. Thinking it may have missed its mark, a third shot had to be taken to make sure. On inspection, the first shot was a good chest shot, the third shot was a great final shot...but where was the second shot? Well, we found the bullet sitting sideways on the animals hide, with a small cut into the skin. A very unusual keyhole that I will start a new thread about to get some opinions.

But, the Blue was down in his tracks! My dad was 3 for 3 and we were all very happy to have been lucky enough to harvest the animal so early in the day as that meant a few hours off to relax.

popswildebeest.png

Day 6

I don't think I'll ever look at a Black Wildebeest the same.

We headed off to the Dallstrom area to go after a Black Wildebeest and a Springbok. I couldn't believe how different this area looked from the Bushveld. Rolling hills, rock outcroppings, waterfall! it was absolutely gorgeous! Reminded me very much of chasing Mulies back home, at least terrain wise (minus the waterfalls...).

It was much colder up in those hills and I was bundled up from the start. I think I had all my layers on and was happy I brought as much as I did. I was also very happy that I practiced as much as I did for some longer range shots as 200-300 meters shots were the norm in this area.

The wind was howling, reports said 20 m/s so i was running calculations making sure I would have the correct holdovers as I really do not like spinning the turrets on a hunt. I figured at 200 meters I would need to hold about 20"ish over with my load at 20m/s....but, the hills of Dallstrom may have played me for being over confident.

We started out on the truck heading up to one ridge, hop off, crawl up to the top, and glass around. Hoping to spot a herd and not make them aware of our presence. It only took 1 ridge before we were busted still on the truck as we turned around a bend and a good size herd lay bedded in the sun and out of the wind. They jumped up and were off. Watching them made it clear why Hendrik called them the "clowns of the hills". They were all over the place and yet seemed to be in unison at the same time. It was a pleasure just to watch them.

We were off again, crawling up to a ridge....peeking over...no luck, and on to the next one. I simply love this type of stalk and get a huge rush from it. Well, after a few more ridges, we found a herd. I got into place between to boulders in a perfect shooting position. Henrik and Kobus (PH from that area) glassed and found a good shooter. Now, from my position I had wind and assumed it was constant to where the wildebeest were...and we all know what assuming does....

I held over about 18" into the wind, and about 4" high for a 260 meter shot. BANG, shots rips out, wildebeest rears up, and takes off. Hendrik says it looked like a head shot...which is exactly where I was aiming for windage....except there was no wind at the time of the shot in the path and where the wildebeest were. I reloaded and found my wildebeest and began tracking as he was on the run. Hendrik called out distances...275....300...325 meters was the last I heard and I let one go. I couldn't see the hit with the muzzle rise and me following thru from the running shot, but just hoped I got one in him to not let a wounded animal get away. Right after the shot, we saw him walking slowly and getting butted out of the rest of the herd as they ran by. Ran down and hopped in the truck to get a little closer as he was just over 500 meters away at that point. Got within 250, let a third shot rip, and he dropped dead.

As we walked up, I saw the first shot in the face and felt terrible about it. Even still wrenches my gut a little. I was relieved to see my second shot hit it marks and entered in the rear right hind and I could feel the bullet on the front left shoulder just under the skin. No doubt it would have been mortal, but I was happy that he didn't need to suffer anymore than he already had. No hunter wants to wound an animal, but sadly it does happen, but I was glad my second shot hit and made it possible to deliver the final shot more quickly. Take a look at the cracks on that boss...I was a happy hunter!

blackwilde.png

blackhorns.png

Not to take anything away from the Springbok portion of the hunt, but Hendrik got me within 130 meters of this beauty and 1 shot dropped him in his tracks. Amazing to see that pouch rise like that!

springbok.png

Day 7 & Day 8

With the harvest of my Black Wildebeest and Springbok, I was happy as can be that I went 5 for 5 with what I was hoping to have the opportunity to hunt. My dad with his Kudu and Zebra addition was also quite happy but we still wanted to go find him a warthog.

Well, after about 1.5 days of blind sits and stalks, we didn't get on a warthog that he really wanted. Saw lots of them, especially as the boars were all over the Sows, just couldn't get a shot on a nice mature boar.

That being said, these two nights were spent around the bonfire and BBQ talking about how the week had gone by so fast. We spend so long researching and preparing and when the hunt finally arrives, it almost passes too quickly. Either way, a couple great meals and a very interesting discussion on bullets from Hendrik's perspective on what he has seen and recovered and some interesting ones that he pulled out to show was a great eye opener for sure.

bbq.png

I believe Wildebeest was on the menu this night

bulletdisc..png

Discussion on bullets

Day 9

Day 9 would be our last full hunting day...but I just had the itch to go after one more species. I needed to add a Blue Wildebeest to my Black.

So, we set out looking for these gorgeous animals. We spent the entire morning on the tracks and trying to get ahead of the heard to no avail. I do love going back to a lunch meal with an animal in the back of the truck, but a good lunch is a good lunch nonetheless

We headed back out that afternoon with the same plan. Locate a herd with some good bulls and try to get in front of it. After a few hours we were out on a stalk and located a good heard. they were moving slowly thru the brush and we were parallel to them, trying to get a clear shot. After maybe 45 minutes or so, the bulls we had been seeing and tracking, were no where to be found.

My stomach sank as I really wanted to get this Blue in the bag. Well, we were back to the truck, and again as sunlight was fading, we headed out. Ironically, we were going to pass the same field my dad took his in. And wouldn't you know it, we ran right into the bulls we were stalking all afternoon! you could almost watch the later little bit of shooting light fall behind the trees, but there was just enough to pick the bull, line up a good shot, and let it fly.

My Blue wildebeest was down in his tracks and he was gorgeous!!

bluewilde.png

Yall are having a good time! Congrats on all the trophies! You going to shoulder the Blue WB or euro and rug?

Yall are having a good time! Congrats on all the trophies! You going to shoulder the Blue WB or euro and rug?

Thanks!
I think I'm going to do a combo pedestal mount with the Blue and Black. Always liked the way those looked. Save all my back skins as well.

Last animal at last light on the last day. Thats one you always remember. Sometimes you think your done and then a gift falls into your hands. Enjoyed your writeup. Congrts
Bruce

Great stuff, looks like you and your dad really enjoyed yourselves!

Impressive animals. Congratulations.

nice job you made memories that will last forever congrats to you guys

Thank you all. I feel so fortunate at 31 two have hunted Africa twice, and will try my hardest to get to #3 for my first DG hunt next year.

How can you turn down a hunting dog like this anyway?

Numbi.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.