tombkeeper

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
After losing many friends & family to Covid over the last few years, I decided I would need to fulfill my life long dream of hunting Africa before my ticket was up...after all, the biggest regrets in life are usually the things you wished you had done & never attempted. I am close to 50 years old, still physically capable of doing a rigorous hunt so I decided that dangerous game is what I wanted to pursue as my first safari. I have hunted mostly wild pigs in my life, including in Hawaii with primitive weapons, so I knew that I could keep up with a fast paced hunt. An older bull cape buffalo is such an iconic African animal that it quickly became the priority for me to pursue on my first safari.

A good friend of mine knew I was very much interested in Africa for hunting, himself being a long time hunter of Africa & having many trips in his past. Since he is a longtime member of SCI, he knew that there are usually a couple Africa hunts auctioned off at annual dinners & suggested I accompany him for a dinner to see what might become available. Turns out I would have luck on my side & won the sole auction that night for a 7 day bull cape buffalo hunt in South Africa with Thabazimbi Safaris. I was happy, I was going to go on my trip of a lifetime to hunt cape buffalo in Limpopo Province, South Africa !

Once I put the word out that I needed a suitable buffalo rifle, I was fortunate to purchase, from a friend of a friend, an older pre 64-style Winchester model 70 in .416 rem. mag. that had been used for dangerous game over 20 years ago. The particular rifle had 2 cape buffalo & an elephant under its belt during his ownership. Mounted in QD rings is an older Leupold vx3 1.5-5x scope that is popular & proven for dangerous game. After asking my PH, Quintin Kruger what he recommended as a bullet for buffalo, I had my good friend Aaron Dunst of Triple R Munitions prepare some carefully handloaded Barnes TSX .400 grain bullets into virgin brass ammunition & practiced many days at varying distances & shooting positions. I also purchased from an AH member here, a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm, a caliber that has a long history & a great reputation for its capability on tough African game. The CZ would be used for plains game if I had extra time after the buffalo hunt. I was interested in black wildebeest, warthog & baboon as additional animals I would like to pursue if there was any time left after securing a buffalo. The CZ wears a HorusVision Blackbird II 1.5-8x scope in Warne QD mounts.

As the days grew closer to my flight I could not contain my excitement. After months of studying & referencing Africahunting.com for proper procedure & reading fellow hunters' experiences I felt comfortable that I was ready to take my personal rifles to Africa for this trip. I contacted riflepermits.com for their assistance in obtaining a permit for the trip & they did a great job with communication & meeting me upon landing to ensure all was handled properly. When I return to South Africa I will not hesitate to use riflepermits.com again, the fee is money well spent, in my opinion.

Also, I cannot thank Jerome enough for hosting this website, as well as the hunters who have contributed to it for the information that is here. A reassurance that I didn't overlook anything in the preparation phase saved me from losing a lot of sleep.

I flew Delta out of Atlanta at the recommendation of my PH. My initial flight that originated from the west coast of the US landed a little late & was a good distance away in the airport from my connecting flight to Johannesburg, with only about an hour and 1/2 before takeoff. I was concerned that the small gap in time was not enough to get my rifles transferred to the transAtlantic flight. Fortunately my worries were for no reason, Delta employees transferred my rifles & ammo correctly & they were on board. I believe next time I am in a similar situation I will attach a tracking device to my checked-in cases for piece of mind.

I was met by my PH Quintin & Anna of Riflepermits.com upon arrival at OR Tambo airport. After wrapping up the permit paperwork & thanking Anna for her assistance, Quintin & I left for the 3 hour drive to the lodge for Thabazimbi Safaris, stopping for a quick burger on the way. After meeting Quintin's wife, Mari-Anne upon arrival, it was time for a glass of wine & cheers to making it to Africa safely ! Mari-Anne would be doing all of the meal preparations while I was there & she certainly knew how to prepare wild game. One of the best parts about being in Africa is the exposure to locally prepared wild game meats that are unheard of in the the US except for some areas in Texas. The meals I experienced while a guest of the Leopard Lounge at Thabazimbi safaris are inspiration alone to return to Africa, & I intend to return with my spouse in the coming years.

The first day of hunting was here. We left the Thabazimbi area for a nearby farm that had a 1200 acre area half filled with thick thorny brush with a network of dirt roads both passing through & surrounding it. The landowner has two herds of buffalo on his giant farm & keeps older bulls away from the more docile appearing herd, in a separate fenced off area from his main farm area that was immense & appeared to be at least 6000 acres. Initially driving through the area in the Toyota Hilux bakkie, Our two trackers, Villem & Abram, alerted us to fresh tracks from a large bull that led into a dense brushy area. I stepped out of the bakkie, chambered a TSX with a second TSX & two solids in the magwell, & began pursuit of the bull, following closely to Quintin & the two trackers to look for the bull. One bull spooked & gone like a ghost is all we heard from the initial pursuit. This same scenario was to repeat multiple times for the next couple days. The bulls in this dense brush were a challenge, smelling or hearing us before we would get to them, & I was losing hope of even seeing something til on the second day Quintin led me to a small clearing where we were able to sneak up within 40 yards of two bulls that never knew we were there. The two bulls were not the large hard boss bull we were pursuing & were abandoned as the pursuit continued, with no shots fired that day.

On the morning of the fourth day we were told by some of the farm hands that they had witnessed some very large bulls enter a particularly treacherous, dense brush area of the property, minutes before we arrived. We decided to stalk through that area and saw no evidence of any buffalo, these bulls obviously favored being in the thickest area available to them to hide & knew how to avoid any interaction with people. This tendency worked in our favor as the small herd ran away & was spooked by something very distant, we could hear a small herd running toward us. Quintin spotted the lead bull as the one we were looking for and told me to shoot if I had a shot. Once the second bull behind it was clear of it I let a .400 grain TSX fly, avoiding the grasses that didn't permit a low heart shot. The round impacted the shoulder of the large bull, dropping it instantly. I had made the shot at the running "ghost bull" from 80 yards after a long few days of tracking about 7 miles per day. After a couple "insurance" shots to ensure my bull didn't get up again it was time to rejoice that my hunt was a success.

02E79D29-70EB-46A5-AA98-B3B9E0748FF4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great tombkeeper, have you got any photographs?

First hunting post, I am still navigating the best way to upload pics...turns out its from my handheld device, haha.

I was able to spot & stalk this old sow with one of her tusks clearly favored for digging. An exciting stalk to get within about 20 yards before I had a nice shot with the CZ. The shot went through the heart, she didn't know what hit her.

The black wildebeest was taken with a borrowed suppressed 7mm magnum. I am a big fan of these animals and have always wanted to have one. They are an iconic animal of South Africa, I feel honored to have been able to hunt one. After the black wildebeest hunt was wrapped up my PH, a local friend & I went to have lunch at a bar restaurant called "The Wildebeest View". My new friend Andries mentioned that he had provided the black wildebeest mounts that decorated the bar. He told the bartender I had connected with my first black wildebeest, & in a few minutes, much to my surprise, I was presented with a very nice bottle of "Wildebeest" Swart Brandewyn by the owner of the establishment.

Congratulations on your safari, @tombkeeper and also your writing style. Very enjoyable!

At some point, please recount your experiences and issues (if any) travelling with Delta Airlines as well.

Congratulations on your safari, @tombkeeper and also your writing style. Very enjoyable!

At some point, please recount your experiences and issues (if any) travelling with Delta Airlines as well.
I was fortunate to not run into any issues with Delta airlines. my flights were pleasantly boring, the AC worked on both trans-Atlantic flights quite well & all luggage was accounted for. The pilots also landed gently each time…. as a frequent traveler this is something that I always appreciate…. Every time I board a commercial jet the thought goes into my mind that the repeated stresses that the landing gear endures may be too much & failure is possible. So kudus to Delta this round…. also…. there was a very wide selection of movies to watch, I personally had never made the time to watch “Casablanca” & now I’m glad I have. The food was welcome & surprisingly not bad in cattle class where I was seated. both directions I was in an aisle seat with nobody next to me…. which is always nice.

There you go !!!

Later during my time in RSA, I was invited to join Quintin & Andries to attend a very special hunt that was planned. Andries' father had never hunted a bull Cape buffalo & had always wanted to. Andries Jr. had a purchased a hunt for his father, & I told him I would love to go as well. I added a few extra days to my stay (permits had some extra days) after getting the blessing from my spouse. This was a special day & I am fortunate to have been able to be there. The same day, but later in the afternoon, I was given a special gift from Andries & Quintin, they told me they were gifting me a blesbuck. The blesbuck were plentiful and roamed the same property as the Cape buffalo. I was honored & thankful that they would do this for me. I used a borrowed suppressed rifle to make a shot about 300 yards away on a nice blesbuck.

Last edited:
I am a very happy client of the staff of Thabazimbi safaris. I consider them friends now & recommend them highly for anybody interested in hunting the Limpopo area.

Congrats on a great hunt and fulfilling the dream. Thanks for the write up.

After losing many friends & family to Covid over the last few years, I decided I would need to fulfill my life long dream of hunting Africa before my ticket was up...after all, the biggest regrets in life are usually the things you wished you had done & never attempted. I am close to 50 years old, still physically capable of doing a rigorous hunt so I decided that dangerous game is what I wanted to pursue as my first safari. I have hunted mostly wild pigs in my life, including in Hawaii with primitive weapons, so I knew that I could keep up with a fast paced hunt. An older bull cape buffalo is such an iconic African animal that it quickly became the priority for me to pursue on my first safari.

A good friend of mine knew I was very much interested in Africa for hunting, himself being a long time hunter of Africa & having many trips in his past. Since he is a longtime member of SCI, he knew that there are usually a couple Africa hunts auctioned off at annual dinners & suggested I accompany him for a dinner to see what might become available. Turns out I would have luck on my side & won the sole auction that night for a 7 day bull cape buffalo hunt in South Africa with Thabazimbi Safaris. I was happy, I was going to go on my trip of a lifetime to hunt cape buffalo in Limpopo Province, South Africa !

Once I put the word out that I needed a suitable buffalo rifle, I was fortunate to purchase, from a friend of a friend, an older pre 64-style Winchester model 70 in .416 rem. mag. that had been used for dangerous game over 20 years ago. The particular rifle had 2 cape buffalo & an elephant under its belt during his ownership. Mounted in QD rings is an older Leupold vx3 1.5-5x scope that is popular & proven for dangerous game. After asking my PH, Quintin Kruger what he recommended as a bullet for buffalo, I had my good friend Aaron Dunst of Triple R Munitions prepare some carefully handloaded Barnes TSX .400 grain bullets into virgin brass ammunition & practiced many days at varying distances & shooting positions. I also purchased from an AH member here, a CZ550 American in 9.3x62mm, a caliber that has a long history & a great reputation for its capability on tough African game. The CZ would be used for plains game if I had extra time after the buffalo hunt. I was interested in black wildebeest, warthog & baboon as additional animals I would like to pursue if there was any time left after securing a buffalo. The CZ wears a HorusVision Blackbird II 1.5-8x scope in Warne QD mounts.

As the days grew closer to my flight I could not contain my excitement. After months of studying & referencing Africahunting.com for proper procedure & reading fellow hunters' experiences I felt comfortable that I was ready to take my personal rifles to Africa for this trip. I contacted riflepermits.com for their assistance in obtaining a permit for the trip & they did a great job with communication & meeting me upon landing to ensure all was handled properly. When I return to South Africa I will not hesitate to use riflepermits.com again, the fee is money well spent, in my opinion.

Also, I cannot thank Jerome enough for hosting this website, as well as the hunters who have contributed to it for the information that is here. A reassurance that I didn't overlook anything in the preparation phase saved me from losing a lot of sleep.

I flew Delta out of Atlanta at the recommendation of my PH. My initial flight that originated from the west coast of the US landed a little late & was a good distance away in the airport from my connecting flight to Johannesburg, with only about an hour and 1/2 before takeoff. I was concerned that the small gap in time was not enough to get my rifles transferred to the transAtlantic flight. Fortunately my worries were for no reason, Delta employees transferred my rifles & ammo correctly & they were on board. I believe next time I am in a similar situation I will attach a tracking device to my checked-in cases for piece of mind.

I was met by my PH Quintin & Anna of Riflepermits.com upon arrival at OR Tambo airport. After wrapping up the permit paperwork & thanking Anna for her assistance, Quintin & I left for the 3 hour drive to the lodge for Thabazimbi Safaris, stopping for a quick burger on the way. After meeting Quintin's wife, Mari-Anne upon arrival, it was time for a glass of wine & cheers to making it to Africa safely ! Mari-Anne would be doing all of the meal preparations while I was there & she certainly knew how to prepare wild game. One of the best parts about being in Africa is the exposure to locally prepared wild game meats that are unheard of in the the US except for some areas in Texas. The meals I experienced while a guest of the Leopard Lounge at Thabazimbi safaris are inspiration alone to return to Africa, & I intend to return with my spouse in the coming years.

The first day of hunting was here. We left the Thabazimbi area for a nearby farm that had a 1200 acre area half filled with thick thorny brush with a network of dirt roads both passing through & surrounding it. The landowner has two herds of buffalo on his giant farm & keeps older bulls away from the more docile appearing herd, in a separate fenced off area from his main farm area that was immense & appeared to be at least 6000 acres. Initially driving through the area in the Toyota Hilux bakkie, Our two trackers, Villem & Abram, alerted us to fresh tracks from a large bull that led into a dense brushy area. I stepped out of the bakkie, chambered a TSX with a second TSX & two solids in the magwell, & began pursuit of the bull, following closely to Quintin & the two trackers to look for the bull. One bull spooked & gone like a ghost is all we heard from the initial pursuit. This same scenario was to repeat multiple times for the next couple days. The bulls in this dense brush were a challenge, smelling or hearing us before we would get to them, & I was losing hope of even seeing something til on the second day Quintin led me to a small clearing where we were able to sneak up within 40 yards of two bulls that never knew we were there. The two bulls were not the large hard boss bull we were pursuing & were abandoned as the pursuit continued, with no shots fired that day.

On the morning of the fourth day we were told by some of the farm hands that they had witnessed some very large bulls enter a particularly treacherous, dense brush area of the property, minutes before we arrived. We decided to stalk through that area and saw no evidence of any buffalo, these bulls obviously favored being in the thickest area available to them to hide & knew how to avoid any interaction with people. This tendency worked in our favor as the small herd ran away & was spooked by something very distant, we could hear a small herd running toward us. Quintin spotted the lead bull as the one we were looking for and told me to shoot if I had a shot. Once the second bull behind it was clear of it I let a .400 grain TSX fly, avoiding the grasses that didn't permit a low heart shot. The round impacted the shoulder of the large bull, dropping it instantly. I had made the shot at the running "ghost bull" from 80 yards after a long few days of tracking about 7 miles per day. After a couple "insurance" shots to ensure my bull didn't get up again it was time to rejoice that my hunt was a success.

View attachment 484844
Thank you for sharing this.

Sounds like a great time and some friends made! Congrats

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross