AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Lifetime, Buck Master Lifetime, Rocky Mtn Elk Lifetime
Hunted
RSA, New Zealand, USA (includes HI & AK)
My children and I had a fantastic time at Koedoeberg Safari while on our hunting adventure in June 2013. This was the first African trip for any of us and we were a little nervous prior to departing the USA. The flights were long for our Alaska group (two couples, myself) plus my daughter (San Diego) and son (Chicago). The PHs met us at the airport and helped guide us through customs, especially the firearms import process. Any nervousness had melted away by the end of the two hour drive and our greeting at the lodge. From the beginning it was a first class operation. The owners, Bill and Willem Faul, ensured our arrival was smooth and welcoming. The accommodations were exotic, comfortable, clean, and well maintained (5 stars) and food delicious. Each member of the staff was professional, polite, and had a clear understand of hospitality and service. The sun set, at the end of the first day, was extraordinary because it went the opposite direction from that in the Northern Hemisphere.

The landscape in the Northwest Province reminded us of the high deserts of the American west. It consisted of arid mountains and valleys covered by scattered trees, brushy vegetation, and cacti all thick with thorns of all sizes. All Three PHs were experienced, knowledgeable, professional, friendly, flexible, and great cooks. The PHs and trackers displayed an amazing talent for seeing the invisible - absolutely mind blowing.

We saw game from dawn to dusk every day. The hunting experience was similar to that of most Alaska residents multiple species in the field of view but much larger numbers of game. The group took three Kudu (50"-52") in one day alone. They were also perfectly matched to each pair of hunters. Team Zs hunting goals and techniques for the follow day were planned with our PH (Peet van der Westhuizen) every night usually sitting around the fire. Multiple nearby concessions were utilized to provide the opportunity for the highest quality trophies. I was fortunate enough to harvest 8 animals (no measurements yet): great Red Hartebeest bull, Impala ram, Blesbok bull, Springbok ram; 2 Blue Wildebeests one very nice and one with unusual horns that looked like a cross between a Black & Blue (1 hooked up & 1 hooked down); the smallest Kudu; and an extremely old Black Wildebeest bull. My son added 3 of his own while my daughter was an observer and cameraman. I believe that all adds up to an extremely successful hunt.

In addition to hunting the group took time to visit Sun City Resort and Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Willem (owner) and Reinier (PH) assisted the group personally donate meat to an orphanage, a school, and aboriginal locals. The deep relationships developed during our trip will hopefully last a life time. Koedoeberg Safari is a great choice to take advantage of for your next/first Africa hunting trip. We are already planning our next safari. (Koedoeberg)
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats on your first african hunt sounds like you all had a great time. you had better get some photos on here or there will be people jumping up and down in frustration ;) not sure what you mean about the sun setting in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere as west is west even in the south......:confused:

................. not sure what you mean about the sun setting in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere as west is west even in the south......:confused:

Left vs right when you face it, is my bet.

Glad the nerves settled and you got into a good hunt.

Congrats.

Do share some pictures when you get a chance.

Super experience. Congratulations. Would love to see some pictures.

Thank you for posting your hunt report!

Thanks for the Great hunting report, Congrats to you and your family on a great Safari Please share some pictures with us as well.

Thanks for the great report. Been there myself and could not agree more. It is a fantastic place to hunt. Willem and his staff are outstanding!

Congrats for your great hunt !

We need pics :popcorn:

Sounds like a great trip. Would love to see some pics. Thanks Bruce

Here are some pictures...

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear that you had such a fantastic hunt, Willem (as many other outiftters on this forum) have a reputation of making dreams come true. Congrats to you, and looking forward to some pics. I really want to see the Blue Wildebeest....

Glad your family had a excellent trip and great memories!

Thank you for sharing your trophy photos!

Thank you very much for that great report Frank.
Really had a good time with you and the family.

I would like to ad to the forum, Frank is one of the best marksman that I have come across. The Blesbuck was taken at 277 yards at an angled shot. Even for a PH that is impressive. The black wildebeest was also taken close to 300 yards standing over a bi bod.

Kind regards and keep well team Z

Peet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg