SOUTH AFRICA: KMG Safaris Rocks!

Look forward to more!

Keep it coming Edge ... looking forward to the last day! I leave on Sunday to hunt with Marius for lioness and then down to the lodge to see what pops up!

Best of luck to you!!!

Keep it coming Edge ... looking forward to the last day! I leave on Sunday to hunt with Marius for lioness and then down to the lodge to see what pops up!

When will you be there? My buddy and I get in on the 24th.

25 June Day 6 The Hunt Continues

Two days left on the Safari. Would we find a Tiger, would we find a Ram and would he be old enough to shoot? We know they are around as we saw a decent one close up on the night drive we had last night. I am enjoying the challenge of targeting a Duiker, although if a baboon or warthog gets in our way, we will attempt to take one of those also. Another beautiful sunrise as we depart the lodge.

P6250487.JPG

We are hunting again on the Mpunzi lodge property and drive into one of the deep valleys and park the bakkie on a crisp clear morning with little wind. We hike the 2 track for 400 yards or so and then cut up another 2 track up a steep hill. Louw has only one gear and walks and climbs at the same speed, no matter how flat or steep it is! We cut to our left through the bush and head downhill and pop onto a high bank overlooking an area he had pushed out. We are hoping to catch a Tiger prowling around in the early morning, maybe crossing the opening or coming out to feed. We try to remain as still as possible, with no wind our movements will be easy to spot and any sounds will travel well. Michelle is taunted by some bird life and is able to grab a good shot of one of the birds.

P6250498 Cropped.JPG

Where are you Gray Duiker? We sit and watch patiently and are rewarded with some Kudu females as they cross the bottom to our right and skirt the opening. At least something is moving this morning! It is amazing how they can disappear into the bush, one instant they are there then poof, they vanish. There are a lot of Kudu on the property. After the kudu disappear, I see a glossy starling hopping around and then mongoose appears, stops for a moment and moves on. What is that reddish color on the ground? I zoom in with the binos and a grisly scene appears. We watch the opening for about an hour without anything showing, head back to the bakkie and drive to the murder scene.

P6250503.JPG

A young Kudu calf has been taken down by some Jackals during the night. We had driven through this area on our night drive so we were pretty sure this had happened since then.

We drive to another area on the farm and head down a track that parallels the opposite hillside. There won’t be any close shots here, 200 yards or better if we see one! We turn left off the road and down 50 yards through the bush and come to a cliff face that gives us a great vantage point. Louw and I whisper back and forth at the animals we begin to spot. Louw finds two bushbuck females and I spot a Kudu bull up on the opposite slope also catching some rays. Louw points out a couple monkeys milling around searching for breakfast. I spot a Kudu bull that has just stepped out into the bottom to my left, I point him out to Louw and tell him he needs another year or two. Nice deep curls but his tips are pointing straight back and haven’t come forward yet. Louw smiles, he has been teaching me how to judge animals during the week. Michelle keeps herself occupied with her camera as “us boys” patiently watch the hillside across from us.

P6250500 Cropped.JPG

P6250506.JPG

We repeat this maneuver many times, hike back up to the 2 track, hang a left, walk another hundred yards or so, cut back down to the cliff face to scan another portion of the hill. I am really enjoying this type of hunting. We ease down to edge, find a comfortable position and just watch.

P6250507.JPG

P6250512.JPG

We spend all morning working our way up the valley, seeing various other animals including some eland but the Tiger remains elusive. We head back to Louw’s house, drop Lindile and Michelle off and we head to the lodge for some lunch. Michelle wants to walk back to the lodge and try and capture her target of the week, the Glossy Starling. She comes back with some great photos!

P6250519 Cropped.JPG

P6250536 Cropped.JPG

P6250585 Cropped.JPG

P6250543 Cropped.JPG

Graham and Nicole prepare some lunch for us and we dig in. Graham has been gone a good portion of the week hunting with his Father. We all assume our positions after lunch, me writing, Michelle napping and Louw attending to business on his phone. Of course, either Rugby or Cricket is on the TV. These guys like their sports! Two o’clock is here and I’m ready to go! I know concentrating on a Gray Duiker is difficult but I’m enjoying the hunt immensely. Sooner or later I will get a chance at one. We are down to the last day and half of hunting, but if I don’t succeed on this trip it will be on my next trip. Louw has been working his tail off trying to find us one. We have searched every nook and cranny on the farm, they are there but we haven’t been in the right place at the right time. Oh yes, there will be another trip to Africa!

Louw says we are going to hunt his brother’s place down the road. He had seen a couple duiker there about a month ago and wants to give the spot a try. The farm we are heading to is a working farm with Angora Goats and sheep.

P6250673.JPG

We drive through the pastures and through a gate or two and park the bakkie. It has really warmed up, the sun feels great but a bit of breeze still has a cool bite. We head downhill and cut onto a 2 track that enters into some dense bush. There is animal sign but I wonder if it’s goat or sheep until I spot some larger tracks, I’m guessing Kudu. We head along this track for a good 15 minutes of walking, hook a right and head downhill and come to a cliff edge. The view is spectacular (not sure why my Mrs didn’t snap a pic…to be fair we have perched ourselves on many overlooks over the past week), we can see for literally miles. Below the cliff face is a dry stream bed cloaked in thick bush as the hill climbs on the opposite side the bush is thinner, allowing some good views looking down into the area. Another two track splits the hillside running parallel to the hill. Above the road are patches of thick bush you can’t see into with some fairly clear areas around them. This looks great I think to myself as we begin to scan the area for sign of a Tiger.

We aren’t there five minutes when Michelle and I hear some rocks clatter and we see two small dark forms breaking from thick cover and racing down the hill as we look up and to our right. I get Louw’s attention as he is intently scanning to his left. He tells me to get ready as they two speedsters hit the two track and race along from right to left. I laugh to myself as I watch them through the scope, there is no way anyone is going to hit one of these animals doing Mach 2 at over a hundred yards. Louw says they are females fighting over territory. He tells me to be ready as we may see a Ram follow. The two females disappear down the road, I hope one of the girls comes back with a suitor in tow.

We wait and wait, the shadows growing longer. Louw spots a Kudu in the thick bush to the left and a few minutes later says he saw a bushbuck moving through the cover. I give Michelle my Zeiss HT’s to look through and she quietly announces there is a big brown spot over the top of the hill to the left. Louw puts up his binos and Michelle hands me back mine. We both scan and in unison turn to her, it’s just a cow! This isn’t the first time if you have been reading along. I hand her back the binos and she says there is an animal on the other side of the low cattle fence and he just hopped over towards us. Louw scans and says bushbuck, I’m on him with the crosshairs. A dark chocolate almost black bushbuck with beautiful white splashes, and with good horns. We watch him move his way down the hill and back into some thick bush. No call from Louw to shoot, I have already taken two bushbuck this trip and we are concentrating on a Tiger.

A few minutes later Louw says a duiker is moving across the top of the hill and to get ready. I try to find the little antelope but can only catch a glimpse before he disappears into a thicket directly across from us. We are all locked in now, the animals are starting to move as the shadows are now growing very long. Two duikers come out at the bottom of the thicket and Louw tells me to take the one on the left when I can get a shot, the other is a female. These small antelope don’t stay still very long but he hesitates behind a fairly open bush, broadside to me. Louw tells me not to shoot him in the shoulder but just behind. I think I can slip a bullet in there, looks pretty clear. Louw tells me he is 170 meters away and aim mid body. I can’t see any horns but trust Louw, he hasn’t let me down.

I exhale and squeeze the trigger on the small shape and am rewarded with the resounding sound of a solid hit, thwack. I rack the bolt without taking my eyes off the scope, I am comfortable with the rifle now that I’ve been using it for the past six days. The duiker squirts forward behind a thick bush, I can just make out his outline and Louw tells me to shoot again as he’s probably hit. I let another shot go into the thick bush and the Duiker runs across a small opening and into another thicket. How the heck did he run, the shot felt great and we heard the hit of the bullet?

Louw says let’s give him some time. A few minutes pass by and we think he is probably down for good in the thicket when Michelle announce he just crossed back over to the big thicket where we originally shot at him. Louw says he also saw him, what the heck! We continue to wait, with a female in the area, we hope he comes back out. I’m thinking to myself, what the heck just happened? After two days, I finally get a chance at the elusive Tiger and somehow I blow it. Louw calls Lindile on the walkie-talkie and tells him to bring the dogs.

A minute or two passes and Louw says he see’s movement and tells me there is a duiker moving down the hill to where the female had originally been before I took a shot. I get the rifle pointed back to the bottom right of the big thicket and see a duiker step out, no doubt about the sex as I can clearly see his horns. His nose is to the ground as he moves down through the opening. He must have scented the female and is tracking her. He is facing downhill, slightly towards me as he walks into the clear, he hesitates for a moment and I take the shot on the point of his shoulder and see him step forward as the trigger breaks. I see the hit and he spins and heads to my left uphill. The shot is low and has opened him up. I tell Louw what I saw and Michelle confirms as she is watching through the binoculars. We lose sight of the duiker as he heads up into the thicket. He won’t go far in this condition.

We can now see Lindile on the road towards the head of the valley to our right and Louw tells him to hold up. Louw tells us to keep watch across the valley, he is going to head back and get the bakkie. He tells us when we see the bakkie to climb down the hill and come up to meet him on the other side. He points to a slight break in the rocks and I tell him we will sort it out. He leaves us in a hurry as we are quickly losing the sun. I still have the rifle on the sticks as we continue to watch the opposite hillside.

We see the bakkie at the head of the valley and begin working our way through the rocks and down the steep hillside. The ground is very loose and we use the animal trails paralleling the hill as switchbacks to reduce the angle. We make our way down without incident and climb the other side to the two track. Louw is there with the bakkie but things look much different from ground level. I turn and look back towards the big rocks we were standing upon and say we need to head up the hill and to our right. You can see the large rocks we were on at the top of this picture taken from the two track on the opposite side.

P6250681.JPG

We climb up the hill about 30 yards to the bottom of the thicket and begin to cast about, the dogs jump a duiker and Lindile puts him down with his knife to the base of his head. No need to put another 300 Win Mag into him.

We continue searching for the first duiker we shot at to make sure we didn’t have a second duiker down in this thick bush. Louw points to the bush where I had taken the first shot, a thick branch about an 1 and half in diameter is shattered and hanging. That was the resounding thwack we heard. We continued searching along the path the first duiker took but there was no sign of a hit. I was relieved there wasn’t a wounded duiker and also satisfied with finding the source of the hit.

A couple pictures, they are very dark as the sun had set behind us.

P6250700.JPG

Getting ready for Louw to do his second job as a cameraman!

P6250683.JPG

We get back in the bakkie and I tell Louw we are done hunting. We have had a great week and harvested most of the animals on my list and then some. I was so satisfied with the past two days of hunting the duiker I felt it was time to give some time back to my wife. I asked Louw about going to either Addo or a private game reserve tomorrow, he said he would see what he could arrange.

We head up out of the valley and start heading back up through the pastures and Michelle is able to get a good picture of her nemesis, the Glossy Starling.

P6250726 Cropped.JPG

We also encounter some Springbok and Impala as we drive toward the gate. Louw tells us about the first animal his wife Michelle took her in this very spot, an Impala if I remember correctly. We get back to the lodge, have a few drinks and enjoy a wonderful dinner!

P6250739.JPG

Michelle tells us about the Impala hunt with Louw and we have a great evening. We are booked in the morning for the Pumba animal reserve outside of Grahamstown. We invite RBF to come with us, she had been chasing Ostrich with Marius during the day and had twisted her ankle and was hobbling a bit, her Father Mike would try to find a bushbuck with Marius while we enjoyed Pumba.

This is the end of the hunting portion of our trip, thank you to all that haven't injured themselves by falling asleep while reading about the wonderful Safari we experienced with our new friends Mike and Nikita as well as our gracious KMG hosts. Well done Louw, Marius, their wonderful families and the entire KMG crew!

I plan on posting about the gear we used as we did not use any camo. We wanted to have clothes that would also work around Victoria Falls without drawing any undue attention. I will also add in some Victoria Falls thoughts, who we used for excursions and a couple of pictures for people interested in taking Marius up on the Combo Hunt as we did.

Edge and Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:
When will you be there? My buddy and I get in on the 24th.
Aegis, probably see you around the same time you arrive or perhaps a day or two later depending on the lioness... but we will cross paths undoubtedly!

Edge, outstanding report looking forward to hearing about VicFalls, did the same hunt package with Marius a couple of years back and still remember how fun the tiger fishing was!

Some great looking scenery and bird pics as well!

Aegis, probably see you around the same time you arrive or perhaps a day or two later depending on the lioness... but we will cross paths undoubtedly!

Edge, outstanding report looking forward to hearing about VicFalls, did the same hunt package with Marius a couple of years back and still remember how fun the tiger fishing was!

I may take another day or two to get everything together. VicFalls was amazing!

Some great looking scenery and bird pics as well!

My wife got better as the week wore on, she has a few choice words about the birds! We wanted to share the entire experience, not just dead animal pics, although we included a few lol

She says thank you for the compliments!

Edge

Hey @Edge Enjoyed your report and looking forward to your comments on Victoria Falls as I will be going there after my hunt in Zambia in few weeks.

Hey @Edge Enjoyed your report and looking forward to your comments on Victoria Falls as I will be going there after my hunt in Zambia in few weeks.

I'll post up a short Vic Falls recap since you will be heading there soon. Had some unexpected company for the past couple of days and haven't had a chance to get back to writing.

Edge

Reactions: cls
26 June Day 7 Pumba Animal Reserve

Spent a great day at Pumba Animal Reserve outside of Grahamstown. Michelle, RBF and I were spotting game like we were pro’s! A couple of pics from the Reserve, including the Lion what apparently just had something for lunch!

P6260001.JPG

Beautiful markings

P6260016.JPG

P6260118.JPG

P6260192.JPG

P6260221.JPG

Our final dinner this year at Mpunzi, great as usual!

P6260243.JPG

27 June Day 8 Departure Day

We had a wonderful time with KMG, and we will be back! Graham may be a great young PH, but he needs to work on his photography skills!

01bde116a88bccf1ac8faddd3493c4bcad2ffc7cd3 Edited.jpg

Marius dropped Mike, RBF, Michelle and myself off at the airport but not before we stopped and he bought a dozen or so milkshakes! Mike and RBF were headed back to the States that evening while Michelle and I spent another relaxing evening at AfricaSky Guesthouse before our departure to Victoria Falls the next day. Highly recommend AfricaSky Guesthouse!

Our room

P6270252.JPG

Honor Beverages/Bar

P6270262.JPG

Other pics

P6270257.JPG

P6270261.JPG

28 June – Wednesday Arrival at Vic Falls Airport from Johannesburg

It took us an hour to clear the Zimbabwe passport/Visa control, $30 cash each for Visa’s. We brought a lot of 1’s, 5’s and 10’s to Zimbabwe.

We booked all of our Vic Falls activities in advance through Shearwater, we did "the full monty” package. Shearwater was outstanding, the van/bus was always early or on time and the guides were great! I e-mailed Shearwater, told them where we were staying, the tours we wanted and they set up a fabulous itinerary for us.

Arrived at the A’zambezi lodge around 3pm, we had excellent accommodations, a lovely 2 bedroom suite.

P6280278.JPG

P6280280.JPG

Great views from the balcony!
P6280282.JPG

P6280281.JPG

P6280279.JPG

The A’Zambezi is a few clicks outside of town but the grounds are excellent. They offer a complimentary shuttle to/from town, only around 8 minutes to town. Michelle and I especially enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and amazing wildlife views. Warthogs, Monkeys, Elephants and even some Impala as I stalked the perimeter one morning .

P6280359.JPG

P6280320.JPG

Across the Zambezi river from the riverbank of the hotel.

P6280399 Cropped.JPG

They have an excellent Warthog medallion sandwich we shared for a late snack before dinner, washed down with some Zambezi suds. I think I had warthog every day I was in Zimbabwe.

P6280345.JPG

We enjoyed the buffet dinner (more warthog medallions over the braai) with local drum & dance performers.

P6280432.JPG

Our first sunset in Zimbabwe!

P6280405.JPG

I always figure it is good to take in the sights sounds of the country I am in before or after the hunt so it's great to see what others do after the hunt.

29 June – Thursday Vic Falls and Sunset Cruise!

Up early and watch the mist coming off the Zambezi. Complimentary breakfast with our hotel package, very good choice of breakfast items and you can have eggs cooked to order.

0945 pickup from A’Zambezi River Lodge for Flight of Angels Helicopter ride (15 min)

They tried hard to sell us the longer flight but we declined. The 15min ride was perfect and we were treated to some amazing views! Buy some of the carvings there before you take the flight and they will make sure you get a good seat, Michelle ended up in front.

P6290462.JPG

P6290470.JPG

P6290486.JPG

Zambia on the right, Zimbabwe on the left. Bridge built connecting the two countries built by the British in 1905 and still in use today!

1100 pickup from the Helipad for guided tour of the falls (2+ hours)

Phenomenal walk through the rainforest created by the mist from the falls. Views are spectacular and we thought taking the helicopter flight first then walking the falls was the perfect way to experience the falls. These pictures don't do it justice. WEAR A RAIN PONCHO AS YOU WILL GET SOAKED!

P6290612.JPG

P6290628.JPG

P6290690.JPG

We were also able to get a great view of the catwalk we would be walking on the Historic Bridge Tour in the morning!

P6290718.JPG

1550 pickup from A’Zambezi River Lodge for Zambezi Sunset Cruise (aka Booze Cruise!) (4 hours)

Very relaxing time First thing I spotted on the cruise, bushbuck! Cape Buffalo and Elephant were also spotted.

P6290800.JPG

P6290846.JPG

What a great day and more to come tomorrow!

Edge and Michelle

30 June - Friday

Historic Bridge Tour

0945 pickup from A’Zambezi River Lodge for Historic Bridge Tour. We highly recommend the Historic Bridge Tour, you won’t be disappointed! You do cross into Zambia but it wasn’t an issue as our Shearwater driver took care of the border guards/formalities. They do a historic skit/run-down that is entertaining and our guides explained the bridge from conception through building and recent evaluations of the bridge. Michelle being harnessed up as they have a cable running along the catwalk you are locked into.

P6300867.JPG

Long way down!

01aeeab729cffae52b0445be647f44f302b099324e.jpg

Having a little fun with the Wife, she doesn't like heights but was a trooper on the Helicopter ride as well as the bridge tour.

P6300914.JPG

Some great views from the bridge looking back up the gorge towards the falls:

P6300870 Enhanced.JPG

P6300903 Enhanced.JPG

P6300932.JPG

P6300955.JPG

We had lunch at the Lookout Café, some incredible views of the Zambezi river gorge and the food was reasonably priced and quite good. You may need to make reservations as the café is quite popular and is in walking distance of the hotels in the center of town. Ostrich Kebab’s!

P6300984.JPG

Warthogs as company during lunch!

P6300974.JPG

1500 pickup from A’Zambezi River lodge for Rhino Encounter into Night Drive with Bush Dinner at the Stanley & Livingstone Private Game Reserve. On our way there, we stopped at another hotel to pick up some guests and a nice bushbuck runs across the road in front of us! We make the 30min drive to the Stanley & Livingstone Game Reserve, come up to the gate and you guessed it, we see another bushbuck! Hope I haven’t used up all my bushbuck karma as I’ll be coming back to Africa for another as soon as I can. We highly recommend this tour also, we had a wonderful time.

P6301072.JPG

P6301127.JPG

P6301062 Cropped enhanced.JPG

Check out this young bull,

P6301164 Cropped Enhanced.JPG

1 July - Saturday
Depart back to the Victoria Falls Airport, on to Johannesburg and catch the Delta 201 flight home that evening. Back to the States and back to reality. ☹

I will have one more post detailing some of the gear we used, hope it will help out another Africa newb!

Edge & Michelle

After reading your report and realizing that I will be over with KMG in less than 2 months, I've come up with the conclusion that my credit card is going to get used a bit! Good trip and trophies for you!

After reading your report and realizing that I will be over with KMG in less than 2 months, I've come up with the conclusion that my credit card is going to get used a bit! Good trip and trophies for you!

Thank you sir! We had a wonderful time the two weeks we spent in Africa and now that Africa is in our blood, we are planning a return trip.

Bring more than one credit card!

Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.